Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Ozx Grumman G21A Goose HD Redux and bush flying

I recently purchased the very nice Papua New Guinea Bush Flying scenery and have been doing some bush flying with the Ozx G21A Goose HD Redux.

Surprisingly, I'm finding takeoffs and landing way more challenging that expected; I have a very hard time keeping the plane on the runway.

If there is a cross wind, on take offs there doesn't seem to be enough rudder control to keep the plane on the strips.

Is this plane flown with the engines more so than the rudder? I can cross wind takeoff if I apply uneven throttle amounts but I'm not sure if this is done in real life.

iBIdaEQdHuWRB.jpg

ibt7XvoEqlzeLG.jpg

I gave up on it myself. I really doubt its that unstable in real life but then again its basically a flying boat...

I dumfounded as to why Carenado or anyone have not produced a full payware model

ZORAN

Yeah, I downloaded this plane a long time ago but never really flew it. Now that I am, it has some rather odd flying behaviors.

I tried tail wheel lock or unlocked, still have to apply about 50% more throttle to one engine in order to be able rudder control the plane in a straight runway path. If both engines are even power, the plane will pull dramatically towards the runway fence and beyond in a crosswind.

Besides the squirrel-ly, near-uncontrollable steering on takeoff/landing with a crosswind, there seems to be a dramatic pitch change with large throttle amount changes. Chop the throttle and the plane pitches upwards rather dramatically; apply full throttle and it pitches nose downwards.

I was under the impression that this OZX enhanced plane was a tweaked Goose for realism. If it is true to real, wow, this thing is a crazy handful.

I think the OZX changes are more graphical.

I've got a file 'goose_dynamics_v1_0_1.zip' that claims to fix the goose dynamics, but haven't yet tried it.

Cheers

Keith

I think the OZX changes are more graphical.

I've got a file 'goose_dynamics_v1_0_1.zip' that claims to fix the goose dynamics, but haven't yet tried it.

Cheers

Keith

It would be great to hear if that solved some of the quirky characteristics. I remember moving the wing tanks more inboard as they were set as if the fuel was contained in the wing-tip floats. That calmed some of the mid-air handling issues, but the ground-handling could still do with some attention (or explanation as to the required technique to cope with lack of rudder authority).

I also didn't find the fde of the redux version at all convincing, particularly the behaviour of the constant speed props & engine. As I have the 'non-redux original' I use the nice textures of the redux with the original fde. Works for me!

I also didn't find the fde of the redux version at all convincing, particularly the behaviour of the constant speed props & engine. As I have the 'non-redux original' I use the nice textures of the redux with the original fde. Works for me!

Thats exactly what I did a few weeks back and its not perfect but an improvement but not enough to keep me interested. I wonder what the Ozx guys did to the FDE?

ZORAN