Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Magnitude 7.8 Quake in Nepal!

My thoughts and prayers to all of those people killed or injured in the recent 7.8 earthquake in India.  Having gone though a major earthquake here in the Washington, DC area in 2013 (only 4.9 magnitude), I understand the horrors the citizens of India must have gone through.  It is a terrifying event no matter what the magnitude of the quake.  I heard that many might even have died in avalanches on Mount Everest.  I hope our AVSIM members from the affected areas in India are all safe and sound.

Best wishes,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, it is Nepal, unless overnight there was a simulated air raid and a virtual coup took place and Nepal became an add-on to India!

Take Care

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Thanks Martin.  I actually do not know what I was thinking.  Age is starting to catch up...

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good kind thoughts, Jim, and you are partly right, as there have been building collapses due to that quake in India and neighbouring Bangladesh too.

EDIT: BBC reporting casualties in India, Bangladesh, and Mount Everest.

I edited the topic to show Nepal.  Apologize to all for my error!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I was in Kathmandu about three years ago.  The people there are extremely friendly to foreigners.  I can't imagine what has happened to those beautiful ancient buildings. 

We flew from there to Lukla.  Talk about a spectacular flight!  And, Mt. Everest is a site to behold.

Here is a link to a few pics that I took along the way:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/x01f7rtmcvoit2l/AADWrVOY48kiP3UtAOFZUr9ea

Only one picture may be seen from that link, but the mountain shot is spectacular!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have a good friend that works in a orphanage in Nepal and she has reported in safe as well as everyone she works with and the kids. She is from New Zealand so not phased by it so she is in a good place to continue to help people.

'Life exists on the planet earth by geological consent. Subject to change without notice.' 

Couldn't be more true then that and I respect that very much.....Where I live we had a 5.2 then a 6.2 within two days of each other this week so earthquakes are business as usual. I moved to New Zealand from Canada and will take earthquakes over the snow any day. Reality is snow kills more people then earthquakes kill people,This is because an earthquake event does have high casualties but are a one in a 100 year event. Snow kills people consistently every year and more people over time.  Even if the snow never kills you it is something that sucks to deal with anyways so I would much rather deal with earthquakes then snow.  You do get used to earthquakes but you never get used to the snow. This is just the way I see it,

Also call me crazy but whenever their is an earthquake I never duck down and cover, I prefer to take a surfers stance and ride the biggest wave that mother nature can produce, you can really appreciate the power of mother nature and the earth is just doing with it is supposed to do. 

Matthew Kane

Hmmm, I just went to the link and I can scroll through all 14 shots.

First time I have used Dropbox this way.  It looks like all photos are shared.  Maybe someone else can confirm.

BTW, that is Mount Everest, if you didn't recognize it.

Okay, edited the link so that it points to the whole album.

Give that a try and let me know if you can see all 14 photos.

I can scroll through all 14 shots.

I have just viewed 12 shots. Nice sunset pix. Next place on my bucket list.

The BBC is reporting that some buildings of historical note have been destroyed, notably its landmark, Dharahara Tower, plus some temples too.

I was there a few years ago, and the people there have enough to contend with without an earthquake on top of it. Beautiful country, great people.

I saw all of 'em this time. Nice pictures and some lovely memories I'm sure. Unfortunately I'm now to old and too poor to do any traveling these days. :blush:

I was fortunate enough as a young man to travel around the world six times on the U.S. Government's dime though. My late father worked as an electronics engineer for the FAA and was on "Contract Loan" to USAID for many years, so the family got "Home Leave" at government expense every two years... :Big Grin:

Here is a photo of a photo hanging on my wall, showing me when I was a 'tweenager' (12) while in Maderia in 1961. The other two people in the wooden sled are my late parents of course.

Ua4z2y.jpg

Fr. Bill    

I use the services at the following link for posting my photos here at AVSIM - http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/ . It's donationware and well worth it!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Here is a photo of a photo hanging on my wall, showing me when I was a 'tweenager' (12) while in Maderia in 1961. The other two people in the wooden sled are my late parents of course.

Great shot

Matthew Kane

Great shot

Thanks. Unfortunately, this photo is part of a montage my late mom made for me many years ago. I had to use my Nokia Lumina smart stupid phone to take a picture of it. My last attempt to take the montage apart nearly destroyed it.

Fr. Bill