Sign in to follow this  
era66

SID & STARS On the Fly

Here's the scenario: I'm coming to the approach phase of my flight (commercial airline flight) and, low and behold, ATC assigns a different landing runway than what I originally entered in the FMC along with the STAR I entered. My question is: Are there freeware or payware apps that I can instantaneously access that will show me just the specific STARs available for the specific assigned runway. Most apps out there gives you a long list of STARs and it takes time to sort them to see which will take you to the assigned runway. Unless I "pause" the sim, I would already be within final before I figure out what STAR to use. Would appreciate suggestions please. By the way, the same scenario happens on departure and SIDs. Thank you.

era66

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

You don't need a STAR when you're in the approach phase, you have already passed the STAR. You simply need to reconfigure your radios for the new approach. I recommend always carrying every chart for both departure and arrival airport. The charts lists the frequencies and radials you need for the various approaches. They do of course list the various stars and their waypoints and just about every other little bit of static information you could possibly want about your departure and arrival airport

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Here's the scenario: I'm coming to the approach phase of my flight (commercial airline flight) and, low and behold, ATC assigns a different landing runway than what I originally entered in the FMC along with the STAR I entered. My question is: Are there freeware or payware apps that I can instantaneously access that will show me just the specific STARs available for the specific assigned runway. Most apps out there gives you a long list of STARs and it takes time to sort them to see which will take you to the assigned runway. Unless I "pause" the sim, I would already be within final before I figure out what STAR to use. Would appreciate suggestions please. By the way, the same scenario happens on departure and SIDs. Thank you.

era66

Aivlasoft EFB will do this (and much more). I have the EFB client running on a small Netbook linked to the main sim computer. Changes to route, SID, STAR, Approach are fast and easily done, plus they will change your FSX (GPS) flightplan in real time too, so ATC is made aware of the change.

In general: when en route keep an eye on the weather at your destination, so you can catch early on if the runway may change. You can then set up an approach beforehand. The STAR itself should not change easily, you can't shift the last waypoint of your flightplan just like that. In RW the controller would advise you which STAR and approach to take anyway.

LORBY-SI

Just use your charts for the specific airport and figure out which STARs and approaches are applicable for the new runway(s) and your aircraft.

Go to fltplan.com. Get free realworld, actual charts and figure it out. Ya don't need to spend more money on another piece of software!

plus they will change your FSX (GPS) flightplan in real time too, so ATC is made aware of the change.

I'm confused....How does that work? what ATC are you using and how does it update the FSX flightplan?

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

The EFB has its own copy of the actual flightplan in the sim, so that would be FSX default ATC. When you change the route in the EFB the server component changes the flightplan in FSX. In your ATC window you will get the additional line "request clearance to destiantion", and if you activate this, the new EFB flightplan gets loaded. Basically the same mechanism as if you went into the FSX flightplanner again.

LORBY-SI

I understand that EFB will update the flightplan and then you can save it to FSX but if I'm reading your reply correctly I think you're saying that FSX will automatically load the amended flightplan and then give you a new option of "request clearance to destination"......really?

I have to admit I don't use the default ATC any more I use RC4 but I've never known FSX to automatically load a flightplan either amended or otherwise.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Unless I "pause" the sim, I would already be within final before I figure out what STAR to use.

You should have a STAR plugged in before you even start the engines. Look at the TAF for your destination and pick a runway for the forecast time you are arriving. Then look at the STARs entry points that fit in with your direction of flight. If the controller gives you a different runway on approach, no problem, most STARs work for parallel runways. If the controller wants to amend your flight plan and change you STAR, again, no problem, just use the one he tells you. I think the problem is you are relying too much on the Aivlasoft efb. Although a valuable tool, it gives you a lot you don't need.

http://dtpp.myairplane.com

^^^ that has all the charts for the US. You can google "egll PDF" for example, and pull up quite a few jepp charts.

By the way, the same scenario happens on departure and SIDs. Thank you.

era66

SIDs are no different. Get the metar, look at which runways it accommodates and then look at the direction the SID sends you in.

Also make sure to read the remarks on the SID/STAR, most large airports have at least one terminal procedure which is valid only during certain times of day.

I find that Starts on the Fly annoying too.  I flew 2 flights yesterday and had to guess that runway as the ATIS would not pick up before I hit the STAR.  First flight I had it wrong as the wind was north to south and I was then confused which runway it would be.  I therefore pick R27 (Bristol) and it turned out to be runway 9.

Same again happened on my flight to Barcelona, I reached the STAR before my radio could pick up the ATIS.  This airport has different STARS for each side PUYOL4S and PUYOL4J of the top of my head.  Pick the wrong one and your heading in the wrong direction.

I understand that EFB will update the flightplan and then you can save it to FSX but if I'm reading your reply correctly I think you're saying that FSX will automatically load the amended flightplan and then give you a new option of "request clearance to destination"......really?

I have to admit I don't use the default ATC any more I use RC4 but I've never known FSX to automatically load a flightplan either amended or otherwise.

Yes, really. You activate the new flightplan in the EFB client (running on another computer in my case), and if you open your ATC window you have the added clearance option (it is not a new one, just the same as if you would change the flightplan in the flight planner of FSX). No need to save or copy anything.

Apparently FSX either parses the active flightplan on a regular basis and realizes that is has been changed, or EFB signals the change to FSX. I think I have seen this function in some FMC's too (QualityWings? Will have to check).

This will not work with any other addon, running it's own flightplan, of course, like RC4. Except ASN, that one has a function too to react on changing flightplan. Oh, and maybe FSCaptain, there is an option in the new version I have not tried yet (setting the alternate as a new destination in the ACARS)

LORBY-SI

Thanks for that I'm gob-smacked I've always assumed that FSX only worked with the loaded FP. well you learn something new everyday!  :o

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png