Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Flight Toolkit 1.1.10 (beta)

Going to the Azores in winter, I get winter trees. This doesn't happen in FSX (or in the real world). Something's not right in the LCLookup, as the seasons BGL should be the same in both games.

Dick

Hmmm... not a fan of this build. Still no runway/taxiway markers, and golf course textures look very poor. (They have no trees on them at all). There are also some farmland textures that have no autogen either. Not sure what the intent was here or what happened but to me seems a step backward. :(

Ken

Dick, similar problems in previous builds. Do you think this is worse than before? I found the problem, it isn't the lclookup it is the autogen descriptions in Flight.

Orion, not yet, but I will update it soon.

Baron, can you give locations where you think tho build I worse than previous ones?

Hi Steve.

I don't think the snowy trees are worse. They are distracting. It occurs in many mild winter climates. I thought it might be the seasons.bgl at first, then the lclookup, but I'm thinking you are right about the autogen descriptions. Can we alter or add descriptions? It is much worse with pine (or fir), as these actually show the snow.

Edited---

I see it would be possible. The Shared Resources has a 'ContentOverrideCore.pak' that has a Repository folder and new descriptions in it.

Dick

Hi Steve.

I'm leaning towards the idea of fixing the seasons.bgl. The Azores, Italy, Greece, Turkey, even south China, Vietnam and the northern Phillipines are classed as mild winter in December's variation. I think I could get MODIS temperature data and convert this to a reasonable seasons.bgl without messing with the descriptions. This would take about a week.

Dick

I thought about that.  Why is seasons.bgl set to mild winter?  I think there is a valid reason for it though.  This is my understanding:

In warmer climates:

- Seasons map to Spring, Summer, Autumn, MildWinter, but no HardWinter which usually assumes snow.

- In LCLookup many of the LC mappings for these regions end up mapping the MildWinter season to some other texture like Spring, Summer or Autumn.

- For some LC though, this doesn't occur.

- I think in those LC it is because there is a type of tree that loses its leaves\needles etc. or has some other change in the winter season.  Instead what is done is those LCs use the MildWinter texture, but the autogen for that texture\region has some of the annotations point to a file that doesn't have a MildWinter variation, and instead uses Spring, Summer or Autumn version of the autogen in MildWinter, and the ones that need to have no leaves, etc end up pointing to the normal variation that includes the MildWinter.

I think this last point is the one that is broken in Flight.  Although Flight reused all the top level grouping\regionalization GUIDs for the vegetation, it looks like many of the groupings are significantly different in Flight than they were in FSX.  I think a lot of them are just placeholder as they were never referenced in Flight content.  One other thing I haven't figured out, is why some of the tree annotations are showing up as having snow on them even in mild winter.  There may be an additional problem in some of the seasonalizations where the MildWinter variation is actually pointing at the HardWinter texture.  Haven't had a chance to investigate this last thing yet.

If you want to follow along with my investigation and possibly diver further into it, this is what I found so far:

Location: New Zealand, -42.335, 171.571, August.  LC 43 has winter trees, but adjacent LCs don't

FSX and Flight - LCLookup contents:
LC 43:
  Maps to Region 25, Season MW
  Diffuse texture: 58B2Wi1
  Autogen: 58B2an1

FSX and Flight - 58B2an1.agn:
All vegetation annotations use autogen {CEDC31AC-9D2A-4528-8DF1-9C14F17814CE}

FSX and Flight - Top level autogen hierarchy:
Regionalization: {CEDC31AC-9D2A-4528-8DF1-9C14F17814CE}
Regionalization: {4C0B9A20-887D-44B8-B5C6-84C1294EE69A}

FSX - Region 25:
{F2888CEE-1A5D-4467-8E4C-2A8F8D18C8B9} - Bushes Dry ALL
{A3A54FFA-2631-455B-B0C6-15D28482A653} - Snags 6-20m Savanna
{6ABD81E8-D770-47BF-9A04-2E25FB393D0B} - Cottonwood 10-20m Mature
{74B42D88-FC8B-4556-AF5E-0DB49B377EFD} - Cottonwood 5-10m Young
{D64E584A-8614-49CC-964E-5D92F7DA04CA} - Eucalyptus Gum 12-22m Small
{DDF4527B-4944-4C62-A8B5-53F7648CE756} - Eucalyptus Gum 6-12m Tiny
{D93AB4C4-FA70-4109-9325-F128D74024A3} - Eucalyptus Savanna ALL
{0BAF57F5-97F8-4CE2-98DD-18D389AE8559} - Mesquite 3-14m ALL
{7FFDEF21-FD5D-44DC-89E4-BEE8BBD0A16D} - Oak1 6-18 City
{1C724CED-8CC9-4502-8242-B206189B5149} - Olive Tree 4-14m ALL

Flight - Region -1 (doesn't contain region 25):
{0A38DE7B-627F-435F-9FF5-303635304EBF} - Broadleaf Eucalyptus 20-35m
{CCE1E952-F2B9-4298-A28E-F9F6B961E27E} - snags 15-25m

It should be really easy to add\replace entries in the VegetationDescriptions if we need to.  It was designed for that.

Steve, looked at a couple more areas in U.S. I suspect something definitely broken with this build. Golf courses most definitely have virtually no trees, huge swaths of farmland with no autogen at all, and in general areas I checked do not look right.

2 areas I checked:

Louisville Ky / Northwest of Indianapolis In

Checked both spring/summer seasons; same result.

Ken

Can you give me the lat, lon?  You can find this in the Stearman on the radio on the right hand side, or you can run the SimDataEditor from the toolkit directory while the game is running and it will show the position.

After a quick jump around the west coast of the U.S.A it seems to be all Golf courses and Parks that I know of. I don' t know how to get lat, lon. :mellow:

Hi Steve.

Maybe it's better not to mess with the seasons.bgl, and fix either the lclookup or the autogen descriptions... as you indicate, tthat is probably where the problem lies. I'll see if I can list the different regions that seem to have HW trees in mild winter. That would be a start. I'll also look at some golf courses and see if I can confirm the autogen problem.

Dick

After a quick jump around the west coast of the U.S.A it seems to be all Golf courses and Parks that I know of. I don' t know how to get lat, lon. :mellow:

To get lat, lon you have to start the simdataeditor.exe which you find in the Flight Toolkit folder. When the editor is running, you start Flight. It's best to switch off fullscreen mode in Flight options/graphics. Then you can see both the Flight window and the Simdataeditor. You will find lat/lon in the WorldState section.

It's also shown on the Stearman radio as Steve wrote.

Here you go:

For Louisville//example of golf courses: 38.236/-85.475

For NW of Indy//example of farmland: 39.959/-86.592

Ken

Thanks mibmab, I followed your instructions and a "Sim Data Debugger window open up and at the top it has Latitude, Longitude and Altitude, and I select WorldState and start Flight but nothing happens in the window? I don't know what am doing wrong. :blush: :huh: