Sign in to follow this  
markturner

Help setting up Trackir with P3d, Vsync?

Hi, I have my P3d install working pretty good, but one niggling issue remains, track ir. It works, but it's pretty stutterry when you pan. I have tried all variations of smoothing in the control panel, and am wondering if its something else, to do with Vsync or something. Perfomance in the sim is pretty good, average 40 FPS, so I dont think its that.

I have a 4K monitor, and dont have Vsync turned on and run unlimited frames.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Thank you!

Hi, I have my P3d install working pretty good, but one niggling issue remains, track ir. It works, but it's pretty stutterry when you pan. I have tried all variations of smoothing in the control panel, and am wondering if its something else, to do with Vsync or something. Perfomance in the sim is pretty good, average 40 FPS, so I dont think its that.

I have a 4K monitor, and dont have Vsync turned on and run unlimited frames.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Thank you!

There has been a couple of topics on the issue recently:-

1) by Gizmo05.. TrackIR and P3d 2.5, see post by m9matt.

2) WebMaximus..Possible Sim Connect Issue.

you may wish to review these post and do a search for more detail.

I seem to remember I carried out the installing of the redist as m9matt suggested some time back.

bob

Just a bit more info... If you search for post by aeronautical. .Jorge Roland.

He has made contributions on other forums re this issue.

bob

This won't help you but I have had no problems with TIR and P3D and I did nothing special other than using the Optimized Flight profile and 5.2.2 driver.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi onebob, I dug a little and turned up that thread, but I think you misunderstand my issue.....my track ir works, ( I had to do the simconnect install thingy to make it so, but it works....) My issue is the stuttery panning, not actually getting the software to work, but thanks anyway. 

I find I don't use track IR unless I use fixed fps that is maintainable, so I've been using 20fps fixed with good results. I can fix 30fps, but when it's approaching situations where it can only just be maintained, I still see 30 in the shift-z but the poor panning starts to come into play. If fixed can't be maintained, then it's like Unlimited, whereby panning speed increases and decreases as the view complexity changes.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Mark we may be out of luck...  I have this problem too.  Running with TIR paused is fine....  as in flying over the ground is smooth... but with TIR enabled and panning....  eeeek!

It's worse for me in FSX though!

I think it's because the faster zoom motion TIR can provide vs hat switch or whatever.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Interesting ... how fast are you moving your head?  If you're head motion is exceed the monitor refresh rate then you might see stutters.

I run Unlimited but have Vsync set and operate my monitor at either 30 or 60Hz pending the type of flying.

My TrackIR profile is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyTXZOYjVRZURLVzg/view?usp=sharing

I use F7 precision mode.

Video sample with my head trackIR: 

I do sometimes get a stutter, but it's usually when my head is out of range or something else reflective in my room causes TrackIR confusion.

Cheers, Rob.

I can follow stuff passing the side window and focus on things without any problems. I'm not whizzing back and forth with the view, just leaning in to see instrument details and so on. Seems quite good. I can improve the fps a lot with backing off the settings, and then as the fps gets faster the need for fixed fps becomes less.

A good test with Unlimited fps setting for next time you are sat on the end of the runway. Try panning the outside view horizontally continuously, see it speed up and slow down with the complexity of scene. If I get those inconsistencies when moving my head it puts me off.

Generally I only need view stability and consistent panning around the airports.

Thanks for the TrackIR profile Rob, working great, just done a test flight in the Turbine Duke, from KHQM to KCLM.

bob

Interesting ... how fast are you moving your head?  If you're head motion is exceed the monitor refresh rate then you might see stutters.

Hi Rob, nice video, thanks for the profile tips. However, changing the profiles didn't help with the unresponsiveness and lurching of Tir with Unlimited fps setting around airports. Once in the sky no problem.

The thing that does help is when the fps goes above 40fps, and the time between frames decreases sufficiently. What's happening at airports and view complexity, for argument's sake, say the fps swings between 20 and 40 fps, this is where I can't "stomach" the thing. Setting 20fps fixed clears up the problem there right away, freeing the swing of the view from the changing frequency of updates. The view responds without delay or lurching, just like with very high fps.

What you might find more interesting is that I've been making some notes during a lot of testing today with Unlimited vs Fixed fps. I've been letting off a saved flight each time, and taking samples and following the track of the plane. So I set off the saved flight and take measurements for a couple of minutes of flight, the plane is on AP, just before it makes a turn.

What I noticed is the plane follows the same track more accurately each time, with the fixed setting. With the unlimited setting, the plane arrives at a different place each time still more or less along the track, sometimes by no more than the wingspan. What i'm doing between flight tests is making changes to the graphics, and this alters the fps throughput which is clear on the graphs. I also noted that fuel amounts become less accurately repeatable.

When the sim is in fixed fps mode, each new frame, and physics calculations, are based on an equal time between frames. So the next frame is calculated with that same time period irrespective of whether the frames can be built in time. With the Unlimited setting, which is basically a test mode of D3D, I believe the constant indeterminate next frame period, contributes to disturbing the accuracy of the physics. But anyway, I would always recommend fixed fps setting merely because it caps the fps at some point, saving energy.

Regards.

What I noticed is the plane follows the same track more accurately each time, with the fixed setting. With the unlimited setting, the plane arrives at a different place each time still more or less along the track, sometimes by no more than the wingspan.

I haven't noticed that but it's an interesting observation -- assuming you are not changing FFTF (default to 0.33)?  Is your monitor 30 or 60Hz or higher?  If locking to vSync (I set my monitor at 30Hz) with Triple buffer that will keep very consistent time between frames.  I'm sure there will be some variance (rounding differences) in the calculations of fuel and other parameters as wild fluctuations in FPS under unlimited (when not Vsync) will provide a higher degree of variance when those calculations are performed ... as everything is slaved to final frame renders regardless of how many CPU cores are running.

I good test might be going to a remote region (say Antarctica) ... in that area I can sustained well over 90 FPS VC at unlimited and see how the precision changes over a fixed 30 Hz (exaggerate the difference).

Speaking of fuel calc, I have done flights where my fuel calcs are off (but still pretty close, I think it's just wind variance or my climb rate was too aggressive) ... I often fill up what I think will be just enough fuel (no reserve) sorta adds to the challenge.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, It's worth doing some more tests. Got to be careful there's nothing of randomness like wind gusts or something. It's probable that wind effects like gusts etc. are procedurally generated by the sim and appear at the same place and time, that's basically how my Wx program does things, but much is left up to the sim after sending metars. I'll give it some thought.

All the best

Steve