Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

ACTIVATE YOUR COPY OF WIN XP

i also run XP here as one of my test machines; but i didn’t get this warning you got,

to install XP today... (i didn’t test but should still work!) install using a VLK version of XP and VLK key!

VLK is a Volume License Key that doesn’t require online activation

My dad still uses Windows XP on his home PC. I think that Gerry meant to state....

"Has Microsoft actually stopped Win XP from running - if so why haven't all Win XPs stopped running worldwide?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

i don’t believe they mentioned they will stop XP from running; just stop proving support and patches for it

OP - Obviously you probably do not do online flying then. The risk without any form of protection is very high. It is bad enough clicking on hyperlinks from the forums, along with the add-ons when downloading!

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Why is it then that I still recieve monthly updates from Microsoft for the removal of malacious software in XP on my self built PC running a triple boot sysytem with XP , Vista and Windows 7 ? Haven't had any messages from Microsoft about activation though .

To the previous poster : On XP I am still running antivirus and other prog's so I am definitely not " unprotected " .

I am sure that there are " quite a few " people still running XP for various reasons , one of them being it was an operating system that worked . I have several programmes that do not work well in Vista or W7 and judging by the reports concerning W8 when it was released never had the inclination to even try it .

The obsession with " I must have the latest operating system " is at times beyond me . You don't buy a new car every time the maker releases a new model , so why do it with a PC . That it might be a few milliseconds faster than a previous computer is for me , NOT a reason to buy a new PC or " upgrade " to a new operating system . would rather spend the money on things I actually need .

I for one will continue to use XP and see absolutely no reason not to .

John

I have 3 computers that I use for different things. My latest one that I built 2 years ago for FSX exclusively runs Win7, my last FSX rig runs Win XP, and my "internet" computer which is a Dell that I got in 2002 still runs on Win XP and I haven't had any issues with my 2 rigs that are still on XP. Although the old Dell will be retired soon and my older FSX rig is going to get a second HD installed with Win 7 on it as a duel boot and will be my new internet computer.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Why is it then that I still recieve monthly updates from Microsoft for the removal of malacious software in XP on my self built PC running a triple boot sysytem with XP , Vista and Windows 7 ?

You are seeing updated definitions to MRT (Milicious Software Removal Tool). That's different from patches that fix specific holes in the OS, which stopped being released by Microsoft last April.

To the previous poster : On XP I am still running antivirus and other prog's so I am definitely not " unprotected " .

An antivirus can't protect you from system level security flaws in XP. It will become more and more hazardous to use XP on the open internet as new holes are found but go unpatched.

I am still perplexed as to why my 8-year old legally installed and activated copy of XP would suddenly require re-activation!

It will become more and more hazardous to use XP on the open internet
You know, I am soo hoping the scriptkiddies are spending all of their free time learning how to hack Win10...

I am still perplexed as to why my 8-year old legally installed and activated copy of XP would suddenly require re-activation!

It could be any number of reasons. One being the activation files being corrupted, or otherwise changed. I had it trip after updating the chipset drivers many years ago. Must have looked to the OS like I had moved it to a new system. Product activation is by no means 100% perfect.

You know, I am soo hoping the scriptkiddies are spending all of their free time learning how to hack Win10...

Actually, exploiting XP would likely be easier. One of the main concerns with XP and security is that it still shares a lot of code with current versions of Windows. If an exploit or security hole is found in Windows 7 or later, it may still affect XP. Often details of these exploits are widely known, making them relatively easy to take advantage of. And anti-virus programs can only protect one so far. They are very poor at stopping threats they don't know about, and it can easily take a day or two for them to be updated.

Whatever happened to the saying " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " ?

Why is it neccessary to develop a new operating system every couple of years and for us ( the customer ) to buy it ? This is ofcourse a rhetorical question . To make money ( for Microsoft ) .

I started with Windows 98 SE on a Time computer in 2000 and being a complete noob bought Windows Millenium when it was released . Biggest mistake ever , so when XP was released to " fix " Windows ME , it was a no brainer to buy that . When Vista came on the market however and seeing that FSX was supposed to work it's magic on Vista ( another mistake ) , I was wiser and decided to create a dual boot system instead of removing XP and have never looked back . This also gave me the oppurtunity to install FSX on both systems to allow me to compare them . Next came W7 and that was added . Out of the three systems I still use XP the most , have antivirus , anti malware , a router and other programmes for " protection " and have hardly ever had problems ( in the past ) .

The " horror " stories that followed with W8 ( with regard to FSX and FS9 ) had people rushing to buy copies of W7 and now after only a couple of years we are supposed to be " eagerly " awaiting the release of W10 . Although reported to be " free " I have to wonder what will the cost be in the end .

For the original poster , it would seem that something was altered ( hardware ) or corrupted on your PC ( have had that happen in the past ) and normally a telephone call was all that was needed , or in the worst case some form of " ransomware " , which seems to crop up now and again ( not in my case ) .

John

Why is it neccessary to develop a new operating system every couple of years and for us ( the customer ) to buy it ? This is ofcourse a rhetorical question . To make money ( for Microsoft ) .

You can take this  to the next step,  imagine  if  no one  develops nothing new  no more where  would  we be,  still with square wheels :P

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The malware community doesn't move to the next thing just because its new. New things are hard to break. Windows XP still has 17% market share and those people still running XP tend to be easier to infect.