Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

Showing off the amazing visuals in X-Plane 10 (with the Bell 407)

So, get XPlane running full screen, then click on the second monitor to give it focus. Enable shadowplay and immediately click back into X-Plane. That does the trick!

I don't have two monitors ... what's interesting is that I can record with ShadowPlay in Window Mode but I don't get the nVidia FPS counter but I do see the "recording" icon.  I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can get full screen working (tried desktop and non-desktop mode also with no love).

Your Terrain and cockpit shadows look considerably better than my experience (even at max settings) -- perhaps driver issue -- are you making any other "adjustments" for shadow maps?

Cheers, Rob.

I don't have two monitors ... what's interesting is that I can record with ShadowPlay in Window Mode but I don't get the nVidia FPS counter but I do see the "recording" icon.  I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can get full screen working (tried desktop and non-desktop mode also with no love).

Your Terrain and cockpit shadows look considerably better than my experience (even at max settings) -- perhaps driver issue -- are you making any other "adjustments" for shadow maps?

Cheers, Rob.

I saw your other post here speaking of some visual faults in Xplane , personaly never saw the things that you are talking about , so you might have a driver problem or so (and I'm using a poor GTX 460 so your card is miles away LOL)

From what it seems , in the nvidia control panel in 3D settings there is an option called "threaded optimization" , this one should be OFF as it seems to have problems with Xplane mainly in terms of performance.

many people suffered from bad stuttering and lower FPS with newer drivers , turning this option OFF and they gained those losts frame rates back and Xplane was smooth again.

Maybe some of the visual faults also related so you should give it a try

I don't have two monitors

Rob, give this a go.

- X-Plane full screen.

- Hit Windows+D

- Enable Shadowplay recording.

- Alt-tab back into Xplane.

Also what mtaxp said is true, Threaded Op. is an OpenGL setting and worth toggling on and off and testing.

as for settings ,here are mine

O6GyC1y.png

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Is Ebs Cal Crutchlow?

If it is then I love you on the new LCR :)  

I wish they gave you Dani's seat while he recovers...  LOL  Also amazed he finds time to sim in between races :)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Also amazed he finds time to sim in between races

And down some Guinness ... I thought all MotoGP riders were strictly 3 crackers, 1 apple, 5 grains of rice, and 3 oz of coffee (black) a day types.

Maybe some of the visual faults also related so you should give it a try

Thanks for the suggestions, absolutely will do another XP10 round tonight ... I want to use the 350.12 drivers but 347.88 works with P3D and the 350.12 don't and I hate having to go back and forth with driver installs.

Are you folks using SkyMaxx 2.1.1?  The "god rays" option seems to be very hard on performance.  I do get some strange gradients ... visible (at night) which suggests I'm not getting 32bit color depth even though it is set to 32bit.  I'll also try lower resolutions and see how that works.

But for now I'm going to test out Split X for P3D -- supposed to be a new way of doing airports so I'm curious.

Cheers, Rob.

There isn't any difference between 347.88 and 350.12 so it doesn't really matter for Xplane.

This threaded optimization problem came with the drivers that was released back then for the maxwell generation , every thing above 337.88 if I recall correctly.

A video of The Lake District, UK in X Plane 10.35 in the free Alpha Jet (XPFR site - certainly not a study sim but flies like a dream). Using Flight 1/RC Sims photscenery, native XP clouds (which seem to have improved lately) although I switch between them and SkyMaxx using the Data Ref edit plug which can be done on the fly depending on the visual I want). No stuttering - using the 337.88 driver on the Titan.

Also using W2XP UK Pro - Tony has done a fabulous job for the UK and says with support from the community feasible to do for other countries.

I use P3D too - but find I get stutters with ORBX but none when native. Have tried everything but can't seem to fix it - and yet Rob is getting the opposite - smooth as butter in P3D and stutters in X Plane - must be each system to its own. :)

Sorry it's not professional but hopefully you will enjoy - but I had tremendous fun - and that is the key for me - sometimes looking at the forums it all gets a bit to serious. My RW training flights are for the serious stuff otherwise I will die!

It will be blurry to start but should sharpen up. If it doesn't and you can be bothered it can be downloaded.

http://1drv.ms/1AjYJnf

cheers

Peter

Thanks Cal, I have the same gfx card so I'll try your settings (and driver).

Enjoy your Guinness :) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I didn't have much success with the thread optimization ... turning it OFF dropped fps by about 25%.  So I set it to ON.

I used Neil's settings which did improve the performance as expected ... 4X SSAA would drop performance by 30%.  2X SSAA + FXAA was ok, but lots of aliasing issues from runways when at altitude.

Here's a video from Aerosoft's Heathrow (in 4K ... I did get ShadowPlay to work per Neil's trick):

Any other suggestions to improve performance are welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

If you are not streaming try maybe killing some of the serivces which comes with the Nvidia geforce experience and the SHIELD thing.

Those stutters are known with newer drivers , but to many people this threaded optimiztion thing caused it and turning it OFF solved the problem , but to you it makes things worse kinda odd...

I reccomend that you file a bug report to the developers so they'll be aware of this problem and maube talk to Nvidia (previous driver problem were solved that way like the weird red artifacts with HDR back then), as they are currently working on 10.40 (which BTW according to some alpha testers may bring a nice performance boost).

Great visuals indeed  But like I've said in previous posts (under my previous name Toowings), both X-Plane and FSX have no crash damage modelling/detection as such, so flying over the highway and under bridges etc is mostly a safe and unchallenging eye-candy experience .- unlike the hard-knocks 'real-world' environment of GTA-5 for example..

If only we could have a simulator combining X-Plane/FSX with GTA's damage modelling realism....

but to many people this threaded optimiztion thing caused it and turning it OFF solved the problem , but to you it makes things worse kinda odd...

I'll keep testing with settings, I'm hoping it's just a driver issue as I can't go back to anything earlier than 347.88 as they are the only drivers that support the Titan X.

Cheers, Rob.

Ebs, on 27 Apr 2015 - 4:55 PM, said:

Hello,

As some of you know, I'm a massive P3D fan but I also know that there seems to be a large contingent of the FSX/P3D community who won't even entertain the idea of flying X-Plane. I know X-Plane has it's rough spots but we all know FSX/P3D has its own share of rough spots too.

I've just uploaded a short 4 minute video of clips of me flying the brilliant DreamFoil Bell 407 and I decided to put it here in Hangar Chat to see if we could get a (civil!) discussion going.

I really hope XPX gets some much needed attention in the near future with regards to Developers, AI and Weather. So many of us P3D Users are always chasing the visual side which, I'm sure you'll agree, is something XPX really excels at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ARxvb8rGc

Hi Neil,

This is a bit old, but I was wondering if you could help me out.

Recently re-installed my PC completely, and going through the install of XP10 on it's own SSD

One thing I really hate of what I have seen are the VC shadows. They are *terrible*! The jaggedness is blatant, no matter what settings I use.

Then I come here and see your video and the shadows are incredibly smooth! Can you tell me how exactly I could achieve something like that??

I have the 407, and tried it to see if maybe it was the dev that did something, but no, they still suck on my system.

I have a screenshot, it's not too much but it-s the best I could do considering I don't know how to fly these yet, so just on the ground...

I also uploaded one of my settings.

Thanks for whatever tips/help you can give me.

Edit: The files are big because I run 3440x1440, so you can only see what I'm talking about if you click on it

Bell407_1.jpg

Jaggies.png

Bell407_2.png

A big help to populating X-plane is a freeware scenery package that covers 23000 airports to a level above the FSX default. It really improves X plane and if you have custom scenery for an airport it will be loaded in higher priority so there is no conflict.

I forget how to spell it... drewzeskie or something but I bought their New York scenery and airport package for X plane because I heard of a lot of OOMs in FSX and p3d.. I have all three plus DCS and Rise of Flight. My next purchase will be an additional hard drive :>)

All of these sims have their pluses and minuses.. But it seems DCS has the most realistic heli dynamics, especially ground effect.

I would fly X-plane a lot more if I could find more multiplayer buddies that use it... I am usually on TS3 when I fly and the server I am usually at most of the time is Digital ThemePark which is the Teamspeak address of ts3.digitalthemepark.com 

I also have Smart Copilot for shared cockpit in the Dreamfoil 407 and the Nils BK-117. I also enjoy fixed wings when the mood hits, usually GA.