Sign in to follow this  
Alpenman

I want to start flying Tubes!

Hello all,

I've always been a GA guy, making circuits or flying VFR from place to place has been my game for years now. As I've been getting older I've become more and more interested on getting deeper into how the aircraft work, and that has lead me to more complex simulations like A2A. 

I never really thought I'd be interested in learning how to fly Airliners, but moving recently under a route near Boston Logan has peaked that interest.

So how the heck do I do it? Do I go straight for PMDG? Which one? Virtual Airlines? Manuals? Trianing Videos? 

I'm overwhelmed. Not having much knowledge of this stuff is unsettling. Part of me wants to go large and just go for a 747, but the other part knows maybe I should start smaller and work my way there.

What do you think?

(FSX:SE btw)

If you were able to fully complete the training section within FSX then your ready for the step up and you would be going about it similar to real world procedures.

In theory you should step up to a turbo prop first perhaps the PMDGJS41 or the Dash8

Or go straight to the PMDG 737 and fly their tutorial flights . If you fly those correctly the transition wont be as tough as you may think

ZORAN

Well, personally I'd say go for the Q400 and buy the Airline2Sim training videos.  Between the two of them, you've got probably the most complete introduction into tubes as you are going to get in the sim world.  Plus as Zoran said, it mirrors common real world progression paths quite well.

That's not to do down any of the PMDG Boeings/Turboprops or the Aerosoft Airbus, they're awesome, but more a result of just how good an introduction the Airline2Sim training materials are for the newcomer (and good value too!).

Well, personally I'd say go for the Q400 and buy the Airline2Sim training videos. Between the two of them, you've got probably the most complete introduction into tubes

Fully concur. Going backwards from the 'Big Birds' to this aircraft I have never had so much fun. Can't stop flying it all over Orbx PNW.

When these topics come up it always boils down to one thing (IMO): What do YOU want to do?

When you look at airliners, do you want to simulate starting regional or building up or do you just want to get into the coolest new addon? Once you know what you want, then go for it! In fact, the FAA can't legislate your simming, you can get the Q400 and 737/777 and do the tutorials and learn both.

My own advice: Try the PMDG 737. Do the tutorials. Learning that, you will then have a knowledge base to program FMCs, the 737 is used on shorter routes so no heavy time commit, you don't have to do failures, but they are there in case you want to try something different.

Good luck and AVSIM is a great repository of knowledge (as is YouTube). You aren't in it alone!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

One question - you mention flying GA and VFR.  As you've moved into A2A planes, have you also started flying IFR in smaller GA planes?  If not, I'd suggest that as a first step so that you don't fall into the trap of thinking that IFR means always flying fully automated, or that an ILS means autoland.  A good understanding of what it's like to fly "in the system" will help you as you transition up into the flight levels with larger and more complex planes.

If you've already taken that step then - nevermind! ^_^

Scott