Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Branaschky

Changes in NAV receiver logic?

Hello.

First sorry for bad English !!

I came to this Thread cause i got nearly  the same Problem like Oliver today....

On an Aproach in EDDK i get on the ILS 32R und while the Approach it changes to the Nörvenich ETNN - ILS.

I make the Navdata update from the Link above (i did it some months ago already) and get the AIRAC 15-06 files.

Then i checked the Data in this tool for both Airports.   Everything was fine. cologne now was on 111.10.

BUT:  back in the FSX EDDK was again on 109.7 and collide with the other ILS.

Then i Use the Debug Tool from the Naviad Update Page and find the Problem!!!!

My Trafic Addon "Mytraffic 2010" builds for every supported Airprot an own BGL File.   This files include a ILS Frequence ( I dont know that before. Thought thats only used for Parking Positions).    AND this BGL Files are more Prior then the defaulft FSX BGL´s.

Also i delete the BGL from MyTraffic.... And than Everything works fine !

May Oliver got the same kind of Problem!   Search for EDDK in the FSX folder and check all BGL Hits !!

Hi, ok guys apologies aside now, lol.  Your arguments do help a lot of guys like me learning as much as we can here, avsim.  So your discussion is very valuable, thank you all.   I fly NGX, my favorite, T7 from PMDG, of course, and also AS A318/319. This one I do struggle a bit still at this stage but I still need to do a bit of reading/learning on the manuals to always get it spot on. 

I have 2 questions thou;   a) I always use Nav 1 for the frequency.  What's the second one for, Nav 2?   Is this an alternative frequency as I understand from the argument?   I only use nav 1 and it works ok for me.      b) Jim Barrett advises to  download this link,  http://www.aero.sors.fr  .  I checked it, but how do you install it in FSX?  Is it under Navdata/fsx/pd3?  Will that change the iLS's in fsx's 10year old frequencies?  Do I understand it right?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers.

johngoncalves

There are 2 data sources for navdata. One is the pmdg fmc, this can be updated via navigraph or aerosoft. The second is the afcad file. This guides your aircraft using the frequency and course. If you have a default or addon airport with an afcad file sometimes it is using old data as airports change runway names and frequencies. You can use a freeware airport editor or buy Flight1 AFX to adjust the frequency yourself.

I am not familiar with default airports so I don't know if that download link will update all airports but you want to get the world navaids package, unzip the folder, run the exe installer, and select the region you fly or everything then run the update.

David Lee

I have 2 questions thou; a) I always use Nav 1 for the frequency. What's the second one for, Nav 2? Is this an alternative frequency as I understand from the argument? I only use nav 1 and it works ok for me.

Two Navigation receivers are required for instrument flight. If you are just following the magenta line you'll only set Nav frequencies for the ILS but if you want to simulate actual flying then you'll use both for a variety of reasons. Disregarding the need for Nav 1 & 2 on the ILS freq., presume you are going to fly a departure out of KORD Chicago OHare heading North to BAE as your first waypoint. There are no SIDs so you don't get a magenta line to follow but there are specific requirements in DP ORD8 that you need to follow including altitude constraints at two ORD DME arcs; now you can use Nav 1 set to BAE and Nav 2 set to ORD to observe the DME to ensure you comply with ORD 8.

Good place to learn about instrument navigation is the Instrument Flying Handbook by the FAA and it is free here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

If you are new to piloting in general, be sure to get a copy of the Aeronautical Information Manual, I liked it's old name better: Airman's Information Manual. It was my bible when I was a student.

Dan Downs KCRP

That and autoland requires that both nav receivers be tuned to the same ILS frequency.