Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

MU-2B-60: using SPZ-500 APR Mode

Hi there,

I like the AC very much, so thanks very much!

Three questions:

1. I tried to shoot an ILS approach at Bowerman rwy24. I thought that I had everything set up for the approach. I hit the APR button on the AP but it wouldn't come on. No APR light and no activation of the APR mode. Did I do something wrong/missed something? Perhaps you can refer me to a resource on the SPZ-500 as I only found non free resources or make a video on it's use?)

2. The inertia felt on departure and approach (slow speed phases) is that due to the tip tanks (when full?)

3. How do I run the NTS checks on the MU-2

Thanks!

Rob 

PS found a nice resource on the MU-2:

http://www.mu-2aopa.com/

RobdeVries.jpg

Hi Rob -

1. I have the same issue...light doesnt come on. I also cant turn off the F/D once it's been turned on.

2. Are you experiencing excessive wing dips upon touchdown?

Hi Dave,

No wing dips here, only a kind of 'wallowing' in the air. Wing dips is problably due to the gear araangement (narrow track) and (excessive) asychronic power (e.g. because of going into beta but not at the samen time/slight delay for one engine)?

RobdeVries.jpg

Hope this info helps!

1. If your getting no light on the mode selectors you need to turn on the Autopilot unit that is located on the floor below the throttle quadrant. I just loaded my APP saved flight and it's working fine and have not received any emails from customers on this issue.

2. I will let Joe answer this question on the inertia issue. The tip tanks do carry a large amount of fuel.

3. NTS Check: Push the right "UNFEATHER" button in and you should see a "RH BETA RANGE" light turn on. Now press the right starter button and the light should go off. Once your RPM is at 20% the light will appear back on and then go off at 50%. This means the NTS check passed. Once the RPM gets above 60% or 65% the light will appear back on only if the throttle lever is in ground idle position. This light has 2 modes and just lets you know your throttle is at the minimum position.

4. FD is turned off only when all AP modes are off or you can simply click the "SBY" reset mode. Due to FSX internal coding some modes will take like 20 seconds to turn off the FD. Most of the mode selectors will turn off the FD asap. 

To get the best taxi performance we suggest getting "FSPS Frictionality" payware addon. Also i heard FUIPC has a freeware addon that does the same thing but have never tested it and not sure if you need to have a registered version.

1. If your getting no light on the mode selectors you need to turn on the Autopilot unit that is located on the floor below the throttle quadrant. I just loaded my APP saved flight and it's working fine and have not received any emails from customers on this issue.

4. FD is turned off only when all AP modes are off or you can simply click the "SBY" reset mode. Due to FSX internal coding some modes will take like 20 seconds to turn off the FD. Most of the mode selectors will turn off the FD asap.

1. F/D modes SHOULD work without the need to have the A/P turned on (for use during manual flight guidance)...but they do NOT work, especially APP mode...some other modes work but not all the time...check the other threads about this.

4. None of the mode selector buttons (including the SBY button) will turn off the F/D cue on the AI.

Weird, it's as if you're using a completely different airplane than the rest of us. Please upload a video to Youtube showing #1 and #4 working correctly.

...won't let me edit my post above...just wanted to correct #4 above...the SBY button does turn off the f/d cue on the AI, but it often doesn't work as expected. Sometimes with just Nav mode enabled and after landing the SBY will not remove the f/d cue...ill sit there and wait a full minute and nothing, doesnt work...then maybe after im done viewing the replay it'll be off finally...it's either a bit unreliable or it could be that it's intended method of functionality is not clear to me. Yet othertimes it removes fine...can't seem to make heads or tails out of it.

#1 still stands...f/d app mode should work with autopilot OFF while in GPS mode...such as when manually flying a gps LPV approach for example. It seems to follow the lateral portion but im not sure it's following the g/s, and it doesnt light up to let me know if its captured or not.

Yes i just did some major testing and found a issue. And the FD will work with the AP off. I was saying you just need one of the mode selectors on. Does the yellow part in the middle of the Attitude indicator work as a FD in manual flight guidance? Because the FD is only going to sit on top of it and do nothing without a AP mode active! But i did notice if you use the HDG mode with autopilot off the FD will bank until you align the bug!

Here is the issues i found:

1. The APP light seems to be stuck on capture no matter what frequency is active. The mode is not active but i need to fix the code for that light for the FD to turn off. This is why it gets stuck. Will work on this issue this weekend!

Yes i just did some major testing and found a issue. And the FD will work with the AP off. I was saying you just need one of the mode selectors on. Does the yellow part in the middle of the Attitude indicator work as a FD in manual flight guidance? Because the FD is only going to sit on top of it and do nothing without a AP mode active! But i did notice if you use the HDG mode with autopilot off the FD will bank until you align the bug!

Here is the issues i found:

1. The APP light seems to be stuck on capture no matter what frequency is active. The mode is not active but i need to fix the code for that light for the FD to turn off. This is why it gets stuck. Will work on this issue this weekend!

We can talk on TS later about this Mark, but I just want to explain this from a real world pilot's perspective so there is no confusion.

The FD will always work with or without the autopilot engaged. All modes on the mode selector will work without the autopilot engaged. When the AP is off, the FD simply displays what the autopilot WOULD be doing if it was on. In other words, it shows you what pitch/roll inputs are needed to achieve the results dictated by mode selector inputs. Whether or not the AP is on or off is irrelevant. The FD will still display the info. It's just a matter of who's going to fly the airplane; you or the autopilot.

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

We need to sit down and do some testing as i noticed the FD will only follow the heading bug with the AP off. And a few other people emailed me with this issue as well. For example the FD will not follow the altitude setting with the AP off from the last time i tested. I could be wrong!

REV 1.6 Updates:

1.Ability to hide green plastic tint
2.Updated engine sounds
3.GTN750 now has case hotspot for 2D popup
4.Updated flight dynamics

5.Updated installer for steam edition
6.WX500 weather radar works using the GNS and GTN models. (Now only 2 models with all features available. Rather than having 2 static models and only 1 working model with no ability to control the night textures we decided to make both versions have better night textures with or without owning the product but the knobs will not animate due to fact we do not have the XML coding. Overall this gives you more options with less models and better night textures minus animated knobs.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTN 750 & GNS 530 INSTRUCTIONS:

GPS system:
1.When using a flight plan you must be within 2 NM of the waypoint course or when using Arrival and departure. If you decide to do an approach using the GPS system select the AP NAV mode since the Glide slope is a visual only and this mode will only hold lateral. The GTN warns you when you select this type of approach and it's for visual only. Best to switch to the Nav system for approaching.

NAV system: 
2.When in AP NAV mode tune in the navigation frequency to the next VOR. When ready to approach an airport select AP APR mode for ILS approach or AP APR/VOR mode for lateral approach only. These modes will capture when the CDI needle starts to move and will disengage the altitude hold modes once the glide slope is centered. 

3.If your flying a flight plan or holding a navigation VOR or using AP HDG mode and about to intercept an approach keep the AP NAV mode active and press the APR or VOR/APR. Once you intercept the AP NAV mode or AP HDG mode will disengage automatically.

With 1.6 the f/d nav issue is still not working correctly. I have no idea why you seem to be having trouble with it since it works fine in the C441.

Please just let me me refer you to Joe's post about it here as I cannot think of a better way to explain it again:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467712-mu-2b-60-using-spz-500-apr-mode/?view=findpost&p=3231852

In that post I believe he is talking to you, Mark...perhaps you missed it.

Currently the only way to get the f/d to follow the nav mode is to have the a/p on, or turn the a/p on and off...BUT, the correct way (just as in the c441) is that the f/d should follow the nav mode WITHOUT having to turn the a/p on.

FD is working for me. I have the AP unit off and I have the nav frequency in the gps unit set. And make sure your in Nav mode and not GPS mode. I did not have to turn the AP on then off so let me keep testing and see what is going on!

Update: Since you do need to turn the AP on and then off then there is a conflict in my code for this type of mode selector. Will work on this today. Thanks hangar.

Update: Found that you can press any lateral mode selector first then press the nav selector and it works. But so far if you just press nav with AP off it fails to work. Code seems good but still working on a solution.

FD.jpg

Update: I fixed the issue for the nav with AP off so the FD now engages. The reason it was not working was it was using the mode button code like the others but for some reason it would not use it so i simply replaced that button code and used the actual nav variable and it works perfect.

I also was thinking about updating the AL/SEL with VS and IAS modes. I found there is no reason to have the VS or the IAS light turn off once captured. And i removed the 800 ft climb from the cfg so you must change the ap pitch wheel manually once your ready to climb or decend. This way you can change the alt sel setting and remain level. I also noticed if you turn off the VS or the IAS mode and the ALT/SEL mode is still on it's active. This will no longer be the case as you must have the VS or IAS mode on. And now that there is no default 800 ft pitch setting i must create another code so the go around button will set the pitch wheel to 800 ft climb. Just finished testing and the altitude modes are working excellent!

Thanks for working on this Mark...please check it using the GTN750 with a flightplan (direct point A to point B is fine to use as a test). make sure you're in GPS mode and then use the nav lateral mode to try and get the f/d to intercept the line. You should find that it only works if you first turn the a/p on and then off.

Thnaks again...if you need me to test or help you in anyway just shoot me an email and I'll be more than happy to help if I can.