Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

DoveTail Games: Vague, But Hopeful, Details on the Next Flight Simulator

My guess is that it will be a Flight 2 Version but most likely will only allow DLC from this other company they have set up. I expect it will be set up in a way to use FSX stuff and then kill off the FSX line. It will take time but will put them in a spot later to be the only source of DLC. You will then have Flight 2 for entry level and sells at Walmart and Prepar3D or someone else will have the more serious Sim for the hardcore among us.

That's right, there was a video interview posted that confirmed this too

https://youtu.be/d4-eiwSDRS0?t=4m19s (starts at 4:19) she says 'Flight technology' and not 'ESP' or 'FSX'

oh, I'm fairly certain it will cover the entire world.

....at $20 a country...  :ph34r: 

LOL!! Good point!! They are starting to play this crowd like a fiddle.  :h01134:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The whole thing is a very expensive proposition and investment. So to minimize risk, instead of guessing what they think would be nice, it would be a whole lot safer if they polled simmers from the various forums and fsx users. Find out what we want and make sure development incorporates the ideas providing they are reasonable and the majority wants them.

If it turns out to be more of a game like Flight was, and not cater/include the hardcore simulation, then thumbs down to me already. In that case I will stick with p3d which does listen to an extent and is always in constant development. 64 bit will be a must at this point with addons becoming more complex and requiring more memory.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Do other games that have been developed by Dovetail allow for purchases of addons outside of their DLC ?

Train Simulator is their main brand, most DLCs are distributed by them on Steam but there are few others distributed on other places as far as i know.

That's right, there was a video interview posted that confirmed this too

https://youtu.be/d4-eiwSDRS0?t=4m19s (starts at 4:19) she says 'Flight technology' and not 'ESP' or 'FSX'

oh, I'm fairly certain it will cover the entire world.

....at $20 a country...  :ph34r: 

Aw com'on man, i don't want nightmares.

I don't see how they expect to make it work if it's going to be a new Flight like game, based on the already failed project of Flight and hopefully what they have already seen on FSX being still alive since 2006 thanks to third party addons AND free addons.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I think for the serious simmer it will be either P3D, FSX and/or X-Plane depending on personnel choice, but unlikely that Dovetail has the resources that LM has to offer a serious flight sim, buy hey you never know :blink:

I thought Aerosoft was working on a simulator too, or was it another company, I can't quite remember.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I thought Aerosoft was working on a simulator too, or was it another company, I can't quite remember.

It was Aerosoft, and they gave up long ago.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

So back to DirectX 9 for a "new" sim?  No thanks, you can only put lipstick on that pig so many times..... 

Just heard of Outerra. Anyone else?

I have it. It's amazing and promising but there is no serious project behind for flight sim, and it will take lots of years. It is not an option for sure for now

Not sure why anybody is optimistic about this.  Dovetail have run the Train Simulator franchise for around 4 years, so we have some good information and i am afraid it isn't good news.  Train Sim hasn't moved on substantially since the initial release by Microsoft, oh sure the graphics are perhaps a little better but that really is the sum total of their achievement.

MS Flight will lend itself very well to Dovetail, very small release area...they might even stick with Hawaii then lots and lots of overpriced DLC.

I only see 3 serious contenders for flight sim enthusiasts all of which have issues:

P3D: the direct replacement, but some add-on companies are treating it like a cash cow, some companies won't even develop for it because of license interpretation.

X-Plane: never quite ready for prime time.  It's getting better with every iteration but it's STILL missing basic features even FS8 had.  Decent AI traffic, ATC, seasonal textures, an interface that doesn't look like it was from a CAD program in 1980 etc.  Of course the big problem is lack of add on support but thankfully that appears to be improving.

DCS World: my personal favorite, but ironically has similar issues to X-Plane along with a small flyable area and a sole focus on military applications.

Obviously I wish Dovetail the best but i am not optimistic.

Ian R Tyldesley

There is only one way to find out how their sim is going to be. If it's gonna be like Microsoft Flight i will be the one to fire away. But we don't know that yet, and it's silly to try and predict it now.

Not sure why anybody is optimistic about this.  Dovetail have run the Train Simulator franchise for around 4 years, so we have some good information and i am afraid it isn't good news.  Train Sim hasn't moved on substantially since the initial release by Microsoft, oh sure the graphics are perhaps a little better but that really is the sum total of their achievement.

MS Flight will lend itself very well to Dovetail, very small release area...they might even stick with Hawaii then lots and lots of overpriced DLC.

This.  The Train Simulator franchise is fairly damming evidence that DTG aren't interested in the nuts and bolts of what makes a good serious simulator, at least not in the same way that ACES were, and LR/LM are.  Since acquisition by DTG, Train Sim has gained a succession of new front ends (most of them awful and advertising laden), a bit of graphical spit and polish and nearly £3,000 of DLC.  In the meantime, basic things such as the physics of trains on gradients, improvements to the ###### poor simulation of steam engines and fixing the large amounts of broken DLC have gone by the wayside.

They are in the mass market DLC business.  Sell you a limited base game at knock down prices and make the margins on cheap to produce DLC.  I will be genuinely shocked if this is the product where they do a complete 180 and provide a serious simulation base product.

So why are they practically giving away FSX:SE?  Simple.  To quickly and cheaply get the interest of the sort of person that makes or enjoys this sort of video, before bringing out a new shiny thing which they can use to push DLC.  That it provides some level of short term benefit to more serious sim communities is a happy coincidence.

There is only one way to find out how their sim is going to be. If it's gonna be like Microsoft Flight i will be the one to fire away. But we don't know that yet, and it's silly to try and predict it now.

Not that silly, based on their past form.

Of course, i know well how it works on Train Sim too.

I am just saying there is

1) Nothing we can do, they probably know well how things worked since our game have been released in 2006 and kept alive by community and addon developers

2) They are not stupid, if Train Simulator become successful and the DLCs are so overpriced for what they offer, and they still are, it means there is a market that actually buys those DLCs.

3)Again, hopefully not stupid enough to analize how things went with Microsoft Flight and the DLCs.

Aaaaand as i said before, i will be the first one to be really annoyed if they make a Flight 2 kind of game. But until it's here, or until we KNOW what is going to be like, i don't see the reason to bash them based on actions we are not yet aware of.

Different thing is regarding their Train Simulator, but it woudn't be the place for that in this topic (or forum)

Not that silly, based on their past form.

Indeed; i am always amused that people consistently believe that DTG are another ACES.  They are not!  I see nothing to get vaguely excited over, i would go further and suspect if you are posting on here you are not the target audience for their 'replacement' sim.

Personally (and i have no evidence for this) i think that we will see MS Flight, but with fewer release aircraft, followed by £1,000's worth of predominately Abacus quality DLC.

They are not stupid, if Train Simulator become successful and the DLCs are so overpriced for what they offer, and they still are, it means there is a market that actually buys those DLCs.

Not exactly, Train Enthusiasts have no other choice, it's Train Simulator or nothing at all.  Captive markets are great for the company, less so the consumer. 

Again, hopefully not stupid enough to analize how things went with Microsoft Flight and the DLCs.

Now this is interesting as it entirely contradicts your second point.  If they can get away with Shovel-ware DLC's they will do it.

i don't see the reason to bash them based on actions we are not yet aware of.

OK, can't really disagree with this, but equally i don't see any reason to compliment them or arrive at "vague" (or otherwise) hopes on the same lack of evidence.

...I mean, seriously, we are getting excited over DTG recruiting a single artist, it's not even news, lord help us if this is the sum total of staff working on a simulator.

The lack of information / evidence could also indicate that they have little interest in the opinions of people here.

Different thing is regarding their Train Simulator, but it woudn't be the place for that in this topic

We aren't really discussing Train Simulator, we are saying that DTG produce Train Simulator, so we can extrapolate from that to the level of simulation / quality a Flight Sim release will have.  It's not an exact science, but let me ask you a question, would you be more excited if PMDG said they were releasing a new simulator or if the chap behind 'Air Control' was?  Neither have released a full simulator before, but one clearly has some high quality, high fidelity releases behind them, the other is PMDG!  :lol:

Ian R Tyldesley

It's not an exact science, but let me ask you a question, would you be more excited if PMDG said they were releasing a new simulator or if the chap behind 'Air Control' was?  Neither have released a full simulator before, but one clearly has some high quality, high fidelity releases behind them, the other is PMDG!  :lol:

Oooo you're going straight to hell for that one!  :lol:

It's like looking at a Carenado announcement and keeping your fingers crossed that it's going to rival PMDG or Aerosoft.  Yes, until the product is in your hands there's no evidence that it won't be, but the risk of disappointment is very high...