Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

DoveTail Games: Vague, But Hopeful, Details on the Next Flight Simulator

My comments weren't aimed at a specific individual. For me it's more about a growing feeling of stratification in the hobby itself, and the rhetoric and attitudes exposed as the desires of "hardcore" and "casual" simmers diverge, most recently in regard to whats hoped for from any next generation flight simulator.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

+HiFlyer

Perfectly understood. I'm the kind of person whose a bit more on the defensive side, so I'll be sure to add that to my bio... :smile:.

Also, just backtracking a bit, I really am curious about the release date of DTG's Flight Simulator. Sort of branching off of what I said before (better say it now before I forget), and also adding to what some people have said. 2016, as much as I'd like to believe it, seems like a rather unrealistic year. I mean, for a company like Microsoft, it took two years to pump out the FSX Standard. But 6 years later (after a rather tedious development), Microsoft Flight was released, but we all know what direction that program went in. Now, what's enviable about DTG, thinking about it now, is not necessarily just the revival of FS, but the amount of time their aspiring to do it in. I mean, like I said before Microsoft had the people, resources, and $$$, but DTG is an altogether smaller company. On top of that, they likely weren't able to focus on the new FS until the release of Train Simulator 2015 and FSX:SE. So that leaves us to the beginning of 2015, which means DTG would have less than two years to work on the new FS if the release it in the time they've allotted.

This leaves me to an inference: they'll might actually follow a somewhat MS Flight format. I'm not talking about the $20 DLCs or/and "arcade" feel (which I understand), but rather a fairly large area for simmers/pilots to fly in... plenty of area to get a flavorful taste of the new FS, and then perhaps DTG would release more (hopefully free or alarmingly low-price) DLC for more areas + planes within the trailing months and maybe years of initial release.

As frustrating as this might be to some people, it is, in my personal opinion, better than waiting another year, two, or maybe even three for the rest of the world to be available (as much as we'd like it all at once). Now, I can be completely wrong. Perhaps I'm underestimating DTG, perhaps they've got more to work with. But I am simply doing what this thread was designed for: speculation :). In other words, if it is necessary for DTG to do this in order to release something in 2016 (if that's what they want) and it ends up being a partial release in the making, then I say this:

Somewhere to fly is better than nothing if it means not waiting another year or so for the hype to reach a lul.

Afterall... it's better to space out your summer homework than do it all at once! (that's my take on it, at least) :wink:

From,

Joe N.

Kinda interesting article that came out about DTG. They were recognized on the British Top 100 Tech Track along with companies like Fan Duel, Ontrac, CheapFlights, and Green Man Gaming. That itself isnt that important but their statement on the recognition I think shows a pretty clear commitment to their previous statement about making a world class simulator, not some Microsoft Flight mainstream game as MS tried to do and failed. 

Here is the quote:

“We’ve made a conscious decision to build experiences for a committed audience of enthusiasts, rather than to develop traditional mass-market video games. As a result, we often don’t grab the headlines,” said Paul Jackson, CEO of Dovetail Games.  “However, being included in this prestigious list is not just a great recognition of our substantial growth over the past few years, more importantly it’s a very heartwarming testament to the hard work and talent of our people, who make what we do great.  Moving forward we will continue to work with cutting edge technologies and we will continue to recruit the very best talent so we can deliver an even broader collection of high quality simulation hobbies to an ever growing base of players.” 

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/sep/4/dovetail-games-celebrates-entry-into-sunday-times-top-tech-list

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

This leaves me to an inference: they'll might actually follow a somewhat MS Flight format. I'm not talking about the $20 DLCs or/and "arcade" feel (which I understand), but rather a fairly large area for simmers/pilots to fly in... plenty of area to get a flavorful taste of the new FS, and then perhaps DTG would release more (hopefully free or alarmingly low-price) DLC for more areas + planes within the trailing months and maybe years of initial release.

You speak blasphemy!!!  :shok:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I seem to remember that around the time it was announced that Dovetail had purchased the license to the flight simulator franchise, that another group comprised of those interested on a more hardcore type of simulation had lost the bid. 

We never heard anything more about who those people were, what their plans were, and what finally happened to them.

I wonder if there is any information out there?

Devons rig

I seem to remember that around the time it was announced that Dovetail had purchased the license to the flight simulator franchise, that another group comprised of those interested on a more hardcore type of simulation had lost the bid. 

We never heard anything more about who those people were, what their plans were, and what finally happened to them.

I wonder if there is any information out there?

I have no idea, you mean these guys?

http://nexgenflightsim.com/

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

+france89

Unigine v2 is its own software. It is very much developed, and I have been following it for a few months. I'd love to see it implemented in real-world-based games like GTA or Call of Duty. It'd be even better in a Flight Simulator. Even though flight simulation is one of its features, it is not really the primary focus (one of a couple others) of businesses who use Unigine v2. The engine has a lot of potential, and is extremely appealing both visually, feature-wise, and performance-wise, but the company should work on getting it a little more world renowned. It really is a topic worth discussing elsewhere, particularly because it has been used for flight simulation, and has the potential for a future in that. But even in that situation, flying would be one of multiple of Unigine's purposes.

http://unigine.com/

+HiFlyer

I also want to make it clear I did not support the MS Flight program. As frustrating as the format was, the price for all of the aircraft and scenery, in the longrun, began to look very unfeasible, at least for me... which made the program even worse.

Looking back at my post that you quoted, I suppose I might want to approach differently. In some situation, I really do not want the same format as flight. I am a believer, so I suppose a great simulator is worth the wait :). I've sided with you.

From,

Joe N.

No matter how much discussion happens, it seems that, unless I missed something, it is as the thread title states: everything is currently vague. The whole MS Flight thing shouldn't drive us to negative speculation, IMO, but rather to less speculation. As much fun as speculation is, at the same time it's better to do that when we've actually got some bites (or bytes, if you prefer) of information. As such, I'm hopeful that the new sim will be great, but I'm really just watching and waiting.

+HiFlyer

I also want to make it clear I did not support the MS Flight program. As frustrating as the format was, the price for all of the aircraft and scenery, in the longrun, began to look very unfeasible, at least for me... which made the program even worse.

Looking back at my post that you quoted, I suppose I might want to approach differently. In some situation, I really do not want the same format as flight. I am a believer, so I suppose a great simulator is worth the wait :). I've sided with you.

From,

Joe N.

Actually I was just having a little fun, and should apologize, since In fact I'm probably more likely to be seen as an unbeliever than many. I in fact liked flight and thought it had a lot of potential. I didn't begrudge MS its plans to cut itself into the action, since as a company, they needed to make money too. I guess partly why I was never disappointed, was that reading carefully what Microsoft was saying, I never (ever) expected FS11, as so many people apparently did.

I expected an attempt to take the genre back to the masses, and it was only the tentativeness of the execution that really concerned me. It seemed MS never really put full backing into the released (unfinished!) product, and approached the whole thing very half-heartedly.

Yet unlike many, I believe there's still a place for civilian flight for non super-enthusiasts, and wouldn't really look amiss at DTG if they made another attempt at something like Flight! with a longer term perspective and some long term vision.

For some, that makes me an unbeliever indeed!  :lol:

Devons rig

There are probably 3 potential competitors right now, and I am counting out Flight Gear and DTG's flight simulator - X-Plane 10, LM P3d and Outerra.

Then, the only worth mentioning tittles in terms of flight dynamics quality are combat flight simulators, with no projects to include any sort of civil aircraft or scenery or action ... DCS and IL2 BoS....

I would really like to see Outerra evolve into something really overwhelming in terms of flight and weather modeling, a much as it somehow already is in terms of graphics, but I stare ate the gorgeous looking graphics offered by IL2 BoS, specially with their upcoming BoM title and can only regret it being a combat flight simulator :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

There are probably 3 potential competitors right now, and I am counting out Flight Gear and DTG's flight simulator - X-Plane 10, LM P3d and Outerra.

LM has the license for ESP & is marketing their product as Prepar3d. As you all know, this is a 'not for entertainment ' product, & LM is not a gaming studio. So, it makes no sense at all that a professional commercial company would be frivilous to want to get into the casual gaming market. ( & have the time & energy to deal with the likes of us)

As far as X-Plane 10 goes.... the 'Fox' principle in marketing is basically to get involved with the opposition, & shut them down. &, I stand corrected, but is not Outerra a graphics engine?

So, X-Plane is doing their own thing, & very well too, LM as well, to their market, & as Outerra, well, I doubt very much if any of these guys regard themselves as competitors or opposition  to anyone.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Wobbie! You haven't been paying attention to Outerra very much, have you?  :smile:

It is an engine, but one that's working towards functionality of all sorts of craft, including cars, trains, boats, and because of high interest from the flightsim community..... lots of work on planes.

What makes a civilian flight simulator and why Outerra is destined to become one

http://www.avsim.com/videos/view-349-outerra-sailing/

Devons rig