Sign in to follow this  
bönan

JF Fokker F27 released

I must say that this is a beauty to fly manually( have not read the manual and can't figure out autopilot yet). The plane is very docile and holds pitch very nicely.

If not careful with the throttle during taxi, the plane can pick up speed quickly. The decision to not have 2d panels makes flying with strictly a VC a totally new experience and challenge. i.e.  abort takeoff, no autopilot, move focus from AH to the radio, no copilot...,.how long before the plane spins out of control?

Overall, it's a great 29 dollars purchase.

tony

Is the F27 a STOL airliner? I am curious to know what runway length is required for this aircraft in an empty configuration (plenty of fuel, but no passengers or cargo).

Just over 1000 meters (3000 feet) at MTOW according to what I've read, so absolutely a STOL airliner.

If not careful with the throttle during taxi, the plane can pick up speed quickly

Has JF fixed the ground friction bug inherent in FSX for this Fokker?  Do you need masses of power to get going and then overspeed suddently?

i am afraid they have not fully addressed this issue.  The plane needs power( not necessarily "massive") to get it going, but if the throttles are not backed off immediately, the plane will start to accelerate, thus creating the feeling that the plane is very light weight, with no ground friction.  I suspect JF needs to spend a bit more time on this taxi behavioral issue.  Let me stress that I don't consider this a reason not to buy the plane.

tony

Hi all,

Planning to buy this afternoon, but just a comment on the above question of ground friction.

I know people have commented on needing alot of power to get some of the aircraft in FSX to move on the ground, and I have found this myself in the past, but I have just watched a real world video on Youtube about the last F27 flying in Australia. Now if you watch at about 4.23 into the video the F27 powers up to taxi away and it seems to me that it does indeed require alot of power to get the initial roll going. You then notice the pilot immediately power down before the aircraft gets away from him/her. Maybe just maybe we are expecting things to roll away from the stand too easily, and maybe Justflight  have indeed got it right this time. 

Anyway off to buy right now.

Here is the link, 

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

i am afraid they have not fully addressed this issue.  The plane needs power( not necessarily "massive") to get it going, but if the throttles are not backed off immediately, the plane will start to accelerate, thus creating the feeling that the plane is very light weight, with no ground friction.  I suspect JF needs to spend a bit more time on this taxi behavioral issue.  Let me stress that I don't consider this a reason not to buy the plane.

tony

I am tempted to buy from JF this time around.  However, I just cannot understand why developers don't spend the time on these things.  I guess alot of people will say, 'why does it matter'?     It matters a great deal.  Handling the aircraft on the ground is an important part of aircraft operation.   

Maybe just maybe we are expecting things to roll away from the stand too easily, and maybe Justflight  have indeed got it right this time. 

I don't think so. Obviously the inertia presented is dependant on aircraft weight, but this ground friction issue overall is one of the most annoying issues of FSX/p3D. You either require an excess amount of power, or you are overspeeding.

You sure this isn't more a function of the slow spooling time of the Darts? It's almost impossible to set the throttle to exactly the right spot without adding or taking away a power adjustment.

You sure this isn't more a function of the slow spooling time of the Darts? It's almost impossible to set the throttle to exactly the right spot without adding or taking away a power adjustment.

I can't fairly comment as I don't have the aircraft yet.  But this is not about the power setting for this particular aircraft.  It is about the physics underlying the ground friction model and the willingness of developers to fix it (or not) as part of their product offering.

But anyway, my commentary is not directly aimed at JF and I'm sure this will be a successful offering, It certainly looks and sounds much better than previous offerings and initial reports seem positive.

Has JF fixed the ground friction bug inherent in FSX for this Fokker?  Do you need masses of power to get going and then overspeed suddently?

I needed throttle to get moving, but once moving was able to throttle right back during taxi and it did not seen to me to be overly fast. Normal rate of taxi I'd say.

The reasons seems obvious: As there are developers who have fixed it, if the aircraft developers also fixed it, it would not actually be fixed, but made worse. 

While no aircraft taxi behavior in fsx in perfect, if one has flown enough "high quality" planes, he or she can notice the degree of attention placed on taxi behavior. The good news about this aircraft is that the braking works very well, and that when still and with no parking brakes applied, the plane does not roll on its own. 

tony

And at idle (not feather) it will roll on its own at 15-20 knots. As it should. 

Not altogether sure there is a `problem` that needs `fixing`?

Is that without passengers and cargo, Louis? The QW 146 rolls on its own at idle when empty, but not when fully loaded.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Bought and did a short flight from my home field and back. Took of at MTOW and the 2600 feet runway was just long enough for a safe takeoff. Regarding ground resistance I thought it seemed pretty realistic. However, the Darts do, as someone said earlier, require some time to spool up. The first time I applied way to much power so the aircraft set of a lot faster than I wanted it to. Second time was much smoother, just give the engines a few moments to do their thing. The aircraft does not move at idle thrust, at least not at MTOW, and the brakes can easily hold full power.

System wise it's much better than earlier JF offerings, just about everything is clickable and all switches have sounds, something I really like and earlier products didn't have. The F27 flies well and feels really heavy - just as I imagine the real thing does. She is extremely stable. The landing was the trickiest part, even at flight idle the engines produce a lot of thrust.  It was a bit tricky to get it down onto the runway, you need to be slow early on to put her down properly. Ground roll with full braking was about 500 meters which is the same as the manual says.

So far I'm very happy with this thing.