Sign in to follow this  
bönan

JF Fokker F27 released

Guest JustanotherPilot

Hi all,

Planning to buy this afternoon, but just a comment on the above question of ground friction.

I know people have commented on needing alot of power to get some of the aircraft in FSX to move on the ground, and I have found this myself in the past, but I have just watched a real world video on Youtube about the last F27 flying in Australia. Now if you watch at about 4.23 into the video the F27 powers up to taxi away and it seems to me that it does indeed require alot of power to get the initial roll going. You then notice the pilot immediately power down before the aircraft gets away from him/her. Maybe just maybe we are expecting things to roll away from the stand too easily, and maybe Justflight  have indeed got it right this time. 

Anyway off to buy right now.

Here is the link, 

Dave,

I flew as a passenger quite a few times in the F27,  in the 70's, sometimes in EWP. I can recall the aircraft needed a lot of power to "budge it' and there was a lag until the power came up, once up though the Captain backed off straight away to get an acceptable taxi speed. There was nothing quite like sitting in a window seat just behind those RR Dart engines at take off, the noise  experienced was distinct and loud and never replicated on other turboprops. Another memorable sound was the 'clunk' as the main gear seemed to be dropped and locked, rather than  lowered for landing.

I think I need to retract my statement regarding the power needed to get the craft rolling. Once one gets a few hours in it, it feels like a great vintage plane.I've found no bugs so far. Have not used the autopilot, so I cannot comment on it. As to the overall performance of the plane, this is a beauty to fly manually.

As someone said, it's the kind of plane that takes only a few minutes to get up and running and have fun shooting ILS approaches in minimum weather like the old timers did--- with lots of sweat.

tony

I belive I have found a bug: While in airspeed hold mode the autopilot takes control over the power levers, which is incorrect as far as I understand it. It should only modify pitch to maintain the selected airspeed. JF has been notified and hopefully it will be solved soon.

Has anyone found a rotary rheostat to illuminate the panel lighting, or any switches? I've gone through the manual and looked and there is no way to press the Cockpit Light button on the Capt's left-hand side, near the oxygen panel.

Has anyone tried the F27 in FSX-SE? It is probably compatible but it's always nice to know for sure before buying something new

ps. My only RW experience of the F27 other than as a passenger was the old Air NZ simulator. But I did fly the 748 and can confirm what has been said about the Dart's slow spool-up time and the need to reduce power as soon as the ac starts to roll

While in airspeed hold mode the autopilot takes control over the power levers

That answers my question above

JF has been notified and hopefully it will be solved soon.

Don't hold your breath waiting.  It's not an easy fix, in fact I wouldn't call it a bug but a deliberate decision by the developers to keep things simple (using the FSX autopilot capabilities).

That answers my question above

Don't hold your breath waiting.  It's not an easy fix, in fact I wouldn't call it a bug but a deliberate decision by the developers to keep things simple (using the FSX autopilot capabilities).

Well, in my opinioun they should have stayad away from it entirely instead, because as it is now it is entirely unusable. Either you climb at full power or you stay level on a low power setting.

I love the plane but I too was disappointed to find out that the "speed" hold mode was using the default FSX autothrottle to hold speed, and not adjusting pitch to do so.

This is what Carenado were doing on their earlier planes - even the little SR22 piston had an autothrottle! ........ It removes credibility from an otherwise great product IMHO.

But it's not stopping me enjoying this F27 - I just don't go near the SPEED hold mode, and I've marked the AutothrottleAvailable=1 entry in the cfg, to 0.

I love the plane but I too was disappointed to find out that the "speed" hold mode was using the default FSX autothrottle to hold speed, and not adjusting pitch to do so.

This is what Carenado were doing on their earlier planes - even the little SR22 piston had an autothrottle! ........ It removes credibility from an otherwise great product IMHO.

But it's not stopping me enjoying this F27 - I just don't go near the SPEED hold mode, and I've marked the AutothrottleAvailable=1 entry in the cfg, to 0.

Thanks for the suggestion, does that disable it entirely so that there is no risk of accidentally activating the airspeed mode?

I believe basic methodology for operating the Darts was always to `set and leave`.

Basically, full power for takeoff and go-around, one reduction to 16,000 rpm for climb, 14,200-14,500 for cruise. You wouldn't normally need to adjust the power levers in flight unless you were below the Flight Levels and you wold normally descend at 220 kts with whatever ROD you got from leaving at 14k. Expedited descents were at 12,800 to allow for higher rates for the same IAS.

No doubt kiwiflyer can confirm, albeit with the numbers from 748's.

Not really had a chance to get to grips with this bird properly, but have also noted some anomalies in the aircraft .cfg that will need to be addressed for the SP.

• light.7 is currently commented // out - could this be the reason the VC lights don't work?
  • The autopilot setting does not match the manual as far as turn-on response is concerned. The manual states that engaging the AP should hold the current pitch. Climb out should be at 15 degrees but the a/p TOGA limit is too low at just 8. The .cfg setting does not use `hold default pitch or bank`. I've changed those to `0` to get correct functionality to the manual, and the TOGA FD limit to 20 to get a reasonable 10-15 degree setting, but haven't tried it out yet.
  • I've disabled the autothrottle. If it don't work right, I'd rather have manual control - on 2 occasions already, because there are no flags or lights on the a/p in the VC I've been unable to influence the power levers after inadvertently clicking on the airspeed hold ( I don't, won't and can't  use the tooltip popups due to stutttttttttering  - AH should find an alternative indicating method)
  • For some reason the [direction indicator] entry is repeated, once under the correct heading and again without. 

Other than these minor items that ought to have been picked up by beta testers, the only system issue I'd like to see fixed is the DME on pilot and co-pilot side being independent so that you can set NAV 1 DME on the pilot, and NAV2 on the Co-Pilot side. As there is no way to open the GPS on this bird, the developers clearly intend for it to be flown `old school` - and that makes being able to select or see both DME's a requirement.

This is an excellent WIP, but I do hope that AH don't get bored or pressured into a single patch-and-leave process as they've done in the past - they built the Tecnam P2006T for Wilco and even after three very necessary patches there remain issues that could and should have been fixed.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Just going by the post #4 video the engine sound from the VC is just totally irritating.

Reminds me of running fingernails down a blackboard.

Are the sounds the same in the final product?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Nothing wrong with the sounds as far as I can tell.

The sounds were substantially reworked between the beta videos and the released product. 

I had trouble slowing this aircraft down both on the ground upon landing and in the air on descent. Tonight I discovered that I had the Speed Hold switch on the AP set to 'ON' (even though I had turned off the master AP power switch via my keyboard assigned key). Once I manually turned off the Speed Hold function on the AP I had no further trouble.

Note also that bringing back the High Pressure Cock levers beyond the 'OPEN' mark on the quadrant even a minute fraction stops them! I couldn't figure out why I was losing an engine after landing, so it pays to be very careful with these.

On the downside I don't like having to use Tool Tips and I think JF should think about some other method for a future patch.

Other than that it is an interesting aircraft.

John G

Thanks for the suggestion, does that disable it entirely so that there is no risk of accidentally activating the airspeed mode?

Yes that's right, it does.   :smile:

The autopilot setting does not match the manual as far as turn-on response is concerned. The manual states that engaging the AP should hold the current pitch. Climb out should be at 15 degrees but the a/p TOGA limit is too low at just 8. The .cfg setting does not use `hold default pitch or bank`. I've changed those to `0` to get correct functionality to the manual, and the TOGA FD limit to 20 to get a reasonable 10-15 degree setting, but haven't tried it out yet.

Hi,

If you want the autopilot to hold pitch at the point it is turned on, (with no other vertical mode selected), then Default_Pitch_Mode should be set to '1', not 0.

If it is set to '0' there will be no pitch hold in FSX/P3D when the autopilot is turned on - you will only be able to adjust pitch using the yoke / trim  (eg. manual elevator control).

With '1' set, the aircraft will hold the current pitch, and will be adjustable (should you wish to) by using the standard FSUIPC offset commands for;

"AP Pitch Var Ref Inc Up",  and

"AP Pitch Var ReF Inc Dn"

I'm at work at the mo and don't have access to my FS PC, but have a look though to ensure that Just Flight haven't accidentally also included the lines "Set_No_Default_Pitch" within the [autopilot] section of the cfg, as this would override the '1' setting above, and mean that there is no pitch hold.

Also, when the default FSX/P3D autopilot is engaged with the default_pitch_mode set to '1', it doesn't use the Max_Toga level ........ (the bit that was set at 8 degrees which is the default value)....   that Toga degrees level is used purely when the FSX default Toga command is activated.