Sign in to follow this  
morpheous

Global base vs PNW

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying some FTX addons but am unsure what I should get first. Is the Global Base package needed if I prefer to fly in the Pacific Northwest and I get the PNW add on? In other words what is the difference between the 2 besides the fact that the Global base covers more area, does it enhance the PNW addon somehow

Thanks

Jim

Jim Vasto

my understanding it actually conflicts with it, u have to ether select one or other.  there is hybrid mode option now i think but i see oddities with it too... maybe other can chime in, but when i fly i disable one or the other.

Global Base are exchange textures. Once installed, they substitute the default textures. They cannot be switched off as such.

PNW has better textures, autogen, landclass, POIs, vector data. I think even the airports are enhanced, at least those of the recent regions like NCA are. If you are mainly flyling in the Pacific Northwest, go for PNW. PNW does not use or benefit from the Global textures, as PNW comes with its own textures.

And no, there is no conflict between both. I use both of them, PNW for flying (mainly) in the Vancouver Region and Global (including its friends OpenLC and Vector) for, e.g., Germany. No issues at all.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

While it's true FTX Global covers everything globally, Pacific Northwest has better textures, autogen, etc.

The FTX Regions like PNW are Standalone meaning that FTX Global isn't required. FTX Global doesn't enhance or conflicts the regions but if your flying outside of the region, I'd recommend FTX Global as the end of the regions will look odd (textures don't blend well).

If your flying in PNW (and only PNW or between it and any region in North America (e.g. NCA)), set FTXCentral2 to North America, if your flying outside regions, use Global with Hybid disabled or if you fly between regions and nether region covers the entire flight, use Global and tick Hybid Mode.

Júnior Silva

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying some FTX addons but am unsure what I should get first. Is the Global Base package needed if I prefer to fly in the Pacific Northwest and I get the PNW add on? In other words what is the difference between the 2 besides the fact that the Global base covers more area, does it enhance the PNW addon somehow

Thanks

Jim

Once you've got PNW,  consider adding NCA..

It gives you a larger region to fly in, and IMHO is the best FTX region yet..

Bert

correct me if i am wrong again but u cant have FTX Global and regions enabled at once, in manager it wont allow u to run both, isnt? or am i missing something?

correct me if i am wrong again but u cant have FTX Global and regions enabled at once, in manager it wont allow u to run both, isnt? or am i missing something?

I think they all it "hybrid mode" or something...not sure the details, but at least in most part you can.

Eric Szczesniak

Thanks for the comments.

Another question I have is that I had purchased PNW for FSX back in 2010, I have a new system now and am using P3D. If I download the file from my account link in the flightsim store will I be getting the latest PNW that's compatible with P3D? Is there a newer version for P3D that I should be downloading instead?

Jim

Jim Vasto

Thanks for the comments.

Another question I have is that I had purchased PNW for FSX back in 2010, I have a new system now and am using P3D. If I download the file from my account link in the flightsim store will I be getting the latest PNW that's compatible with P3D? Is there a newer version for P3D that I should be downloading instead?

Jim

PNW is compatible with P3D and P3Dv2. So downloading that new triple installer from your account will give you an option to install to FSX, P3D or P3Dv2. I also recommend using FTX Central 2 rather than the original FTX Central if you haven't go it already (it's free).

Júnior Silva

PNW is compatible with P3D and P3Dv2. So downloading that new triple installer from your account will give you an option to install to FSX, P3D or P3Dv2. I also recommend using FTX Central 2 rather than the original FTX Central if you haven't go it already (it's free).

Where can I find it?

Jim

Jim Vasto

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11