Sign in to follow this  
neucoas

Fsgrw on small-private airports

Im trying the free demo of FSGRW. I have a question: how i set the weather in small airports if these arent listed ?

For example if im doing bush flying over idaho, is there a way to get a generic weather of the area?

Thanks!

Cheers :)

N.-

Your questions seem to be different. If you do the dynamic download, just assign it to the nearest large airport which should cover all small airports around it. Your second question, I do not know of a way to set weather like you do in the 'Weather' menu according to theme (like Cold Fronts or Building Storms) because these types of weather representations are handled just fine by FSX itself.

I have had FSGRW for some time. Highly recommended if you wish to use real world weather when you fly. 

Your questions seem to be different. If you do the dynamic download, just assign it to the nearest large airport which should cover all small airports around it. Your second question, I do not know of a way to set weather like you do in the 'Weather' menu according to theme (like Cold Fronts or Building Storms) because these types of weather representations are handled just fine by FSX itself.

I have had FSGRW for some time. Highly recommended if you wish to use real world weather when you fly.

Thanks! What im trying to say (sorry for bad english) is: if in the middle of idaho mountains is raining, i'd like to see a way for fsgrw to put rain there. For this i think the need access to real weather radar data.

I think is not posible to set accurate weather if a región is too far away from a listed airport.

N.-

Thanks! What im trying to say (sorry for bad english) is: if in the middle of idaho mountains is raining, i'd like to see a way for fsgrw to put rain there. For this i think the need access to real weather radar data.

I think is not posible to set accurate weather if a región is too far away from a listed airport.

Oh, yes, FSGRW (and ASN for that matter) is wonderful at depicting real world weather. If you spawn at an airport, even a small one without a weather station/coverage, FSGRW will automatically apply real world weather there if you use the "Dynamic Weather Download" feature. I have been in very remote parts of Africa and saw fairly realistic weather depiction. Same with over the Atlantic or Pacific. If you spawn at an airport that has online weather information, just enter the ICAO code in the box before you hit "Weather Transfer" button. FSGRW will then update weather as you fly in any direction by itself. You can go a bit farther if you want and import a route .PLN file that allows FSGRW to forecast weather for your entire trip and give you all sorts of weather information for each fix. It can then apply weather to all of those fixes giving you an even more accurate experience.

These programs are truly remarkable. They have come a long way even from just a year or two ago. Have fun!

Oh, yes, FSGRW (and ASN for that matter) is wonderful at depicting real world weather. If you spawn at an airport, even a small one without a weather station/coverage, FSGRW will automatically apply real world weather there if you use the "Dynamic Weather Download" feature. I have been in very remote parts of Africa and saw fairly realistic weather depiction. Same with over the Atlantic or Pacific. If you spawn at an airport that has online weather information, just enter the ICAO code in the box before you hit "Weather Transfer" button. FSGRW will then update weather as you fly in any direction by itself. You can go a bit farther if you want and import a route .PLN file that allows FSGRW to forecast weather for your entire trip and give you all sorts of weather information for each fix. It can then apply weather to all of those fixes giving you an even more accurate experience.

These programs are truly remarkable. They have come a long way even from just a year or two ago. Have fun!

Oh! Just to know before i purchase it, if i spawn in the middle of the mountains (3U2 for example), how i get the real weather? I Select dymamic weather download and then... (Be aware that the airport i will spawm is not listed, it does not have online weather informatión)

N.-

Oh! Just to know before i purchase it, if i spawn in the middle of the mountains (3U2 for example), how i get the real weather? I Select dymamic weather download and then... (Be aware that the airport i will spawm is not listed, it does not have online weather informatión)

I believe small airports inherit weather information from the nearest suitable airport. So the weather for 3U2 would likely snap to KMYL which is 25nm due west. Pretty good for an airport which doesn't have a weather service in real life anyway. I believe ASN uses public nexrad information to sort of fill in the holes (at least in the US). Not sure if FSGRW does this, to be honest, its not something I ever think about anymore. It just does it's thing and it does it very smoothly.

I believe small airports inherit weather information from the nearest suitable airport. So the weather for 3U2 would likely snap to KMYL which is 25nm due west. Pretty good for an airport which doesn't have a weather service in real life anyway. I believe ASN uses public nexrad information to sort of fill in the holes (at least in the US). Not sure if FSGRW does this, to be honest, its not something I ever think about anymore. It just does it's thing and it does it very smoothly.

OK, i thought there were an auto position detect function under the dynamic weather (is locked on the demo)

Summing up, when i want to spawn in the middle of the mountains, and get real weather i have to search for the nearest airport that appear in the fsgrw box. Im right?

N.-

OK, i thought there were an auto position detect function under the dynamic weather (is locked on the demo)

Summing up, when i want to spawn in the middle of the mountains, and get real weather i have to search for the nearest airport that appear in the fsgrw box. Im right?

It will detect your position automatically and apply weather there if you don't specify a departure airport. All you have to do is spawn at the airport, open FSGRW, click "Dynamic Weather Download", then click "Continue" for most current weather. It will download the latest weather for your region. All you have to do then is hit "Start Weather Transfer" and FSGRW will automatically pull weather information from the nearest weather station (in this case, KMYL). You can also enter an ICAO code if you want to specify which station to use. 

It will detect your position automatically and apply weather there if you don't specify a departure airport. All you have to do is spawn at the airport, open FSGRW, click "Dynamic Weather Download", then click "Continue" for most current weather. It will download the latest weather for your region. All you have to do then is hit "Start Weather Transfer" and FSGRW will automatically pull weather information from the nearest weather station (in this case, KMYL). You can also enter an ICAO code if you want to specify which station to use.

I thought i couldnt press start weather transfer without selecting a weather station !

Thats what i wanted to hear.

Many thanks, you were very helpful :)

N.-

I thought i couldnt press start weather transfer without selecting a weather station !

Thats what i wanted to hear.

Many thanks, you were very helpful :)

Hopefully I didn't confuse you, it's early here  :unsure:

Take care