Sign in to follow this  
tanker

MU-2B Cold Start

Hi,

When I load the MU-2b in FSX, then go to Maintenance panel (Shift 1), and select Ready to start or all systems off, nothing happens. If I reload the aircraft, the engines are still running. If I exit FSX, restart, and reload the MU-2b, the engines are still running. I get a click spot when I try to select ready to start.

I can fly the aircraft in default engines running, with everything apparently working as it should. However, at the end of the flight, when I am ready shut down the engines, I cannot get get the engines to go into locked. I make sure the condition levers are in taxi, retard the throttle to 10% reverse and then back to idle, but the engine still shows "unlocked".

Any help would be appreciated.

Dale

sounds like it may be your flight file causing the issue...try making or using a new clean safe flight file that does not have engines/systems running. An issue which I am having is that the plane always loads itself with the battery and avoinics switch ON. I looked into the gauges and noticed that the battery and avionics are set to start in the ON position...so I edited the gauge to strat in the OFF position, but that causes the start locks to be unlocked when you first load the plane, and they will not relock for me manually...unless I use the "systems off" icon in the control panel :-(

Ok, managed to get it in the ready to start mode by first loading a default aircraft and shutting down everything. But, now I can't get it to start. The props are locked, I follow the checklist and can get the right engine to crank to 1200 rpm, then nothing. Throttles are at idle, condition levers at taxi.

Dale

hey gang this is what I'm doing that seems to work ok.

1 load up default powered hangglider, shut everything down

2 load Mits, hit shft 1 to turn everything off. Then save the flight cold and dark making sure levers are cirrect etc

3 now I have a reliable C and D for the Mits, that seems to work fine

Hey tanker, double check the SRL switches are ON. Won't start if they are OFF

Double check, red fuel valve switches are ON as well as the inverter switch

If using a joystick, may have to recalibrate. If those don't work, may try re- install

Best,

David

Thanks David.

Went through the whole thing as you suggested (several times)

SRL switches - on

Red fuel valve switches - open

Inverter -on

Start Switch - RH Grnd

Engine/prop - checked lock

Throttle - checked idle

Condition lever - checked taxi position

unfeather switch - on

Start RH engine - gets to 1200 rpm, but doesn't start

I'm totally frustrated with this aircraft. I have the 441 and have no problems starting it, but I'm getting tired of fooling with the MU-2B. I think I'll just push it into the hanger and forget about it for awhile.

Dale

Dale...did you make sure that your engine crank switches are in the upper "run" position? (its a 3 position toggle found just below the start switches that light up when you hold them).

The 3 positions I think are run, crank, off...you want them both to be in the run position...and you must then HOLD the starter buttons down until the engines actually light up with fuel...which is somewhere beyond 10%.

Hi Dale, second what Dave told you.  Forgot to mention the run crank switches. Could be you just have them in the crank position.

Sounds like you have everything else checked OK.

To follow everything:Just for troubleshooting...Ok.

1. Load the default powered hanglider first. Shut down the engine.

2, Choose the MU-2 in load aircraft. It will probably have power on it. Shift-1 to shut everything down. Don't power up just yet.

3.Visually verify props in flat pitch. Also check Shift-2 to show locked.

4.Verify:

a. Power levers ground idle position, or slightly above.

b.Condition levers in Taxi position. The top of the lever on the taxi line. not in the box between taxi and cruise idle.

c.SRL switches ON

d. Stop/Crank/Run switches to RUN

e.2 Red fuel knobs ON

f. ignition switches OFF

g. NOw turn on Batt Key

h. Inverter ON

i.Check fuel quantity, both on cockpit gages, and shift-2

j.Engine switch fro SAFE STOP to right engine

k.Press unfeather button

l.Press and hold starter switch, should see RPM rotation and shortly after EGT rise(lightoff), then release the starter switch. Should cutout around 50%(starter light out)

m. Engine should spool up to 70% idle.

If that is not successful, 2 things to try.

1. If using a joystick, temporarily disable the joystick CTRL-K.

Then just use keyboard and mouse for the start.

F1 ensures at ground idle

F2 reverse

CTRL-SHFT-F3,2 will Increase and decrease the condition levers.

This will verify if joystick throttle might have been interfering.

2. Complete un-install,reboot computer, then re-install the MU-2.

Dale, please don't take this as I'm belittling you that you don't know what you are doing. Not the case at all. 

I just want you to get her running and enjoy her like the rest of us.  I know you can do this.

Hopefully this will be helpful. Don't give up yet.

Best,

David

While I use P3D, I noticed the same issue.  Load the aircraft, press shift-1 and select systems off. Try start procedure, and nothing happens beyond 1200 rpm.  Then I made a strange discovery.  Even though I confirmed start locks are engaged before going through he start procedure, after turning the master 'ON' I rechecked the start locks and they were disengaged.  This happened no matter where my condition levers were set before turning the master 'ON'.  I even shut the sim down and reloaded the MU-2, and went through the exact same procedure I mentioned earlier, except this time I watched the propeller blades. Sure enough, when I turned the master 'ON,' the propeller blades slowly rotated out of the start locks. So I had to manually reengage the start locks and then save the flight as cold and dark.  Other than that and a few AP issues mentioned elsewhere, the aircraft flies beautifully.  These things should be easily remedied in a SP.

Todd

...and I have a slightly different issue, everytime I load the plane from the free flight menu the master battery and avionics switches are always set to the ON position (even though my flight file has them defaulted to FALSE (off).

I think we need a true cold and dark startup option implemented that loads the plane already cold & dark..

Thanks to all who have tried to help. I've got a full day today (I volunteer at the Air Force Museum), but I will try again tomorrow, using the above suggestions.

Dale

Ok, finally had some time early this morning and went through everything again. The problem seems to be my CH Throttle Quadrant, which is programmed through FSUIPC. As David suggested, taking the throttle out, and only using the keyboard, I was able to get both engines started. I did a successful flight from KPTK to KPIT, starting with cold & dark. Everything worked except I still cannot get the engines back to locked prior to shut down, even using only the keyboard.

Not sure if others are having similar problems, but this start and shutdown procedure seems way too finicky. I actually had a couple of hours in the right seat of a MU2, many years ago, and I don't remember it being this difficult in the actual aircraft.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Dale

hi dale, you put the engines on the locks, after shutdown.

rt click the run/crank/stop switches to crank position. Then rt click RCS switch to STOP. engine will shutdown.Hold the RCS switch(s) till 50%

watch RPMS, when RPM is 50 use the F2 to bring the power levers into reverse. This will put the props on theb locks. little different than 441.

NOTE: If you Rt Click the RCS switch from crank to stop, it will do one at a time.

If you have a mousewheel, you click the mousewheel, and both RCS switches will move to stop. again hold them till 50%RPM.

Hope this helps ya Dale. Make sure on your throttle quadrant, you have that axis removed in FSX, otherwise it will conflict.

I would be happy to walk through some things, just send me a PM if interested.

Have Fun

David

The f4 menu doesn't mention the RCS switches, simply retard the throttles to 10% reverse, the return them to idle. Confusing, to say the least

Dale

Hi Dale, I can see why you would be confused, with the Shift-4 instructions.

Here's a step by step to clarify everything.

1. After Brakes set, ensure cond. levers are in the taxi position.

2. Turn off switches: ,Auto Ignition,Tip Tanks if not already,Radio Master(pilots side console),Generators,Invertor, Air cond. and Press. All overhead switches except the Beacon.

Engine ShutDown and Start Locks

1. Again, ensure Condition Levers in TAXI Position. Ctrl-Shift-F3

2. RCS switches, RT Click to the Crank Position.

3. Now you have 2 choices. If you RT click the RCS to STOP, it will only move 1 at a time.  If you use a mousewheel, it will move BOTH at a time and hold them in the STOP position.

easier with mousewheel if you have 1.

4. Regardless, you need to hold the RCS to the STOP position till 50% RPM. As you approach 50% RPM, move the Power Levers to the REVERSE position. (F2)

Just to ensure the props lock, I will leave the power levers in reverse till I see the props fully stopped. Then you can move the Power Levers back to Ground Idle.

5. Battery Key to OFF......That's It! 

One other consideration. If you have the time, setup a lesson with Joe.  He'll have ya up in no time. Although you have already been flying, glad to hear you have that sorted out. Once you get a good flow going and follow the checklist, it will all click. :-)

Hope this is helpful to you and others Dale

Best,

David

The f4 menu doesn't mention the RCS switches, simply retard the throttles to 10% reverse, the return them to idle. Confusing, to say the least

Dale, that procedure is for removing the start locks, not engaging them.

There is no need to wait until 50% to pull the power levers into full reverse on shutdown. As soon as you pull the RCS switches into STOP, just go to full reverse, and leave the power levers there until below 20%. This will set the start locks.

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV