Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How can I best use the Warthog throttle with FSX (P3D FSX-SE) ?

After buying an expensive controller like the TM warthog HOTAS I would like to get the best use of it in FSX. There seem to be a problem with the switches that are not toggle switches. FSX seem unable to distinguish between its position and only detects any change as one button. Is it in any way possible to use these permanent switches in FSX ?

Hi there,

I just recently also got the same kit, fantastic isn't it  B)

What you need is FSUIPC:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

This will allow you to program every button and switch on both controllers to your heart's content  ^_^

Cheers,

Jerome

just recently also got the same kit, fantastic isn't it B)

Yes and now the question is how to get the most optimal use of it in FSX. In DCS the answer is more obvious.

What you need is FSUIPC:
This will allow you to program every button and switch on both controllers to your heart's content ^_^

But as I understand it it only register pressed buttons and cant keep track of switch positions like in DCS. It can detect a change in switch setting but see it as one button regardless of switch position.

Not exactly Warthog specific (I use a x55), but in FSX there isn't a way for a generic joystick device to report it's switch position and get a switch in an aircraft to be set appropriately, as far as I know.

The only time it ever creates an issue (and even then, only for toggle type switches, momentary switches are not affected) is when you load an aircraft; it's possible to have some switches out of sync with their actual controls.  If you have 'toggle on/off' type commands assigned to them, they stay out of sync.

The solution is to never use 'toggle' commands with those style of hardware switches.  Because some commands are only available in FSX as a toggle, LINDA (see the sub-forum here at Avsim) becomes a godsend; it's easy enough to use (or create) scripts that only toggle a command if the command is in a certain position; i.e. you can create actual on / off commands by checking the current status in the sim.

So long as you have hardware switches assigned to on/off style commands, then it's more a matter of syncing your hardware switches yourself, when you load your aircraft in the sim.

At least that's the method I follow.  Your mileage may vary. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

But as I understand it it only register pressed buttons and cant keep track of switch positions like in DCS. It can detect a change in switch setting but see it as one button regardless of switch position.

Hi again,

If you don't have FSUIPC, where would you be understanding this from?

Your understanding is incorrect, I can tell you that in FSUIPC you have the ability to setup toggle switches, as well as create mouse-based macros.

Cheers,

Jerome

Hi again,

If you don't have FSUIPC, where would you be understanding this from?

Your understanding is incorrect, I can tell you that in FSUIPC you have the ability to setup toggle switches, as well as create mouse-based macros.

Cheers,

Jerome

I have a registered FSUIPC and I failed to setup permanent switches

I have a registered FSUIPC and I failed to setup permanent switches

I touched on it, but I didn't go into much detail.  By way of assigning FSX controls to hardware switches and buttons, no, FSUIPC on it's own is not going to help beyond the functionality given to assign controls.  However, it's the most important part of the mix.

I'd recommend looking into LINDA, or else look into writing your own Lua scripts (LINDA is simply an easy way of using Lua scripts).  Either depends on FSUIPC.  With hardware switches, it becomes quite neccesary to be able to poll the simulator to determine the state of a control.  In this way, you can set a switch to only turn something on if the switch is flipped on, or turn something off when the switch is turned off.  Although it's still possible to load your flight with switches out of sync, it's then easy to just flip your switches to match the aircraft state before proceeding.

Since you have a registered copy of FSUIPC, you owe it to yourself to download and try LINDA out.  For complex hardware and complex aircrafts, it really makes an already great piece of software (FSUIPC) shine even more.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I touched on it, but I didn't go into much detail. By way of assigning FSX controls to hardware switches and buttons, no, FSUIPC on it's own is not going to help beyond the functionality given to assign controls. However, it's the most important part of the mix.

One thing come to my mind. What about TM own Target software ?

I use the TM TARGET software OK. I guess it depends on the A/C your flying and its software design whether TARGET would do the job that your after. If you can do what you want with the keyboard then you can do it with TARGET.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.