Sign in to follow this  
TooWings

Amazing potential of GTA-5 on PC

I thought I'd post a few newish youtube clips of GTA-5 on PC.

I especialy like the new Director/Editor mode in GTA-5 and how well it brings flight videos to life -Machinima style.

Enjoy.

Random Flight ..with some drama

I love GTA V, but in professional honesty, the flight engine is incomparable to life. Drag and turbulence are way over calculated, or at least do not have realistic handling effects, and the general speed of the aircraft are not up to par. But other than that, the detail of the aircraft, along with the rest of the map, is truly phenomenal.  

Working runway lights how did they mange that 

Rich Sennett

It's pretty annoying when you drop the power to idle on any aircraft, the engine's magically turn off.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

I love GTA V, but in professional honesty, the flight engine is incomparable to life.

Hi Joe,

Yes agreed. There's still a heavy element of arcade mode in GTA..But overall I enjoy the sheer thrill of GTA flying compared to the more sterile feel of X-Plane and FSX (both of which I've used for years). 

For me its the barnstorming spirit of being one with your environment in GTA -a feeling that anything could happen, whereas with X-Plane etc its like your always flying safely over a landscape that is only partially immersive and interactive because of the lack of crash damage modelling detection and realworld environment.   For example, in the X-Plane video posted earlier (above), if you landed on the highway in an emergency you'd presumably fly straight through the cars and trucks and overhead gantries etc as if they were ghosts, or else the flight scenario would end in a static 'crash' image.

Anyway, end of rant ;-)  Here's another GTA/PC flight video that I liked.

Working runway lights how did they mange that 

..and chimpanzee pilots as well!  Whatever next? ;-)  .......

For me its the barnstorming spirit of being one with your environment in GTA -a feeling that anything could happen, whereas with X-Plane etc its like your always flying safely over a landscape that is only partially immersive and interactive because of the lack of crash damage modelling detection and realworld environment.   For example, in the X-Plane video posted earlier (above), if you landed on the highway in an emergency you'd presumably fly straight through the cars and trucks and overhead gantries etc as if they were ghosts, or else the flight scenario would end in a static 'crash' image.

I remember a thread once where crash damage was suggested (another forum) and a few people nearly lost their minds. Its one of those Flightsim subjects where those against are absolutely adamant and everybody else scratches their heads and wonders at the strength of the reaction. Kind of like whether (place name of program here) is a game or not.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I remember a thread once where crash damage was suggested (another forum) and a few people nearly lost their minds

Hi H.F.

I posted a thread on this forum a while back on the 'crash damage' debate but using my previous name 'Toowings' (recent password problems forced a change of name).  

I can see both sides of the argument regarding crash detection, but how much less fun would flights in GTA be if a static 'crash' screen appeared whenever we clipped a wall or a vehicle etc.  Instead crash damage detection in GTA provides the thrill and enjoyment of 'barn-storming' flying experiences like this one...as I'm sure you'll agree >>

Through the tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfxvjwdzAA#t=1m12s

and not to mention the hazards of copter rotors....

Hi Joe,

Yes agreed. There's still a heavy element of arcade mode in GTA..But overall I enjoy the sheer thrill of GTA flying compared to the more sterile feel of X-Plane and FSX (both of which I've used for years). 

Anyway, end of rant ;-)  Here's another GTA/PC flight video that I liked.

Things have advanced in the gaming industry a long ways since FSX development stopped.  As such, part of me wonders why Xplane is still not the preferred sim as development has continued.  Seems like they've had a world of time to catch up and move well beyond FSX though, granted, they don't have the budget GTA V has.  Still, I do ponder if/when a sim with similar graphics capabilites to GTA V might appear.  The video above truly looks much more real than anything I've seen in FSX/P3D.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

just bought gta5 this morning and i'm amazed :o awesome piece of software and runs maxed out on my pc.

part of me wonders why Xplane is still not the preferred sim as development has continued. Seems like they've had a world of time to catch up and move well beyond FSX

I enjoyed flying X-Plane circa 2000 to 2005 for its innovative extras such as moving traffic at night (albeit just headlights and tail-lights) and snow blowing over runways etc; and while its great to see both X-Plane and FSX now incorporating realistic looking road traffic, for me the missing ingredient in both sims is crash detection and damage modelling.  For example: in GTA you can fly a helicopter onto a highway or onto a city rooftop helipad then get out and interact with your environment. Granted that both FSX and X-Plane are far superior to GTA in terms of flight modelling and whole-world coverage. But in GTA I think we can glimpse how flight-sims of the future will loook, i.e. highly detailed and interactive environments. 

I hope so anyway ;-)

Sweet flight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA7rtQNLu84

Maybe some modder will tweak the values to make the planes fly a bit more realistically.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

just bought gta5 this morning and i'm amazed :o awesome piece of software and runs maxed out on my pc.

Yes its a highly optimized game.  

I enjoyed flying X-Plane circa 2000 to 2005 for its innovative extras such as moving traffic at night (albeit just headlights and tail-lights) and snow blowing over runways etc; and while its great to see both X-Plane and FSX now incorporating realistic looking road traffic, for me the missing ingredient in both sims is crash detection and damage modelling. For example: in GTA you can fly a helicopter onto a highway or onto a city rooftop helipad then get out and interact with your environment. Granted that both FSX and X-Plane are far superior to GTA in terms of flight modelling and whole-world coverage. But in GTA I think we can glimpse how flight-sims of the future will loook, i.e. highly detailed and interactive environments.

I hope so anyway ;-)

I agree with most everything you say (and, ya, that is a nice vid!).  And, while FSX and XPlane have better flight modelling than GTA, they have their weaknesses (can't speak to XPlane on this since I haven't flown it in many years).  For FSX/P3D:

• Turbulence is totally unrealistic.  That yawing behavior is really bad.
  • Weather is pretty unrealistic.  In the RW, pilots review weather a lot for a reason...it can be very dangerous.  In FSX, not so much.
  • The feeling of flying through the ebbs and flows of the air is pretty poor.  See this RW video of a Seminole landing.  Notice how the plane is gently moved around by the air on final.  I've never had the feeling of that in FSX/P3D:

Also, in FSX, the VAS problem is getting really bad (add-ons are always improving but they're running into that wall harder and harder.)  Clearly, the graphics could be improved in all of the sims...GTAV shows that in spades.

These are real opportunities for all the existing sims. 

As a side note, I'd find it strange if GTA became the best available sim in the future but, clearly, there's an enthusiast there with budget.  Still, for me, my mind keeps thinking about XPlane.  I see them having more opportunities and flexibility with making improvements.  If the sim community begins to move in that direction, they may get the budget to make some large improvements.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Does anyone know how to set up a joystick with GTA V flying with the keyboard is the worst. I have looked all over the Internet GTAV forums and cannot find it