Sign in to follow this  
TooWings

Amazing potential of GTA-5 on PC

Turbulence is totally unrealistic.  That yawing behavior is really bad.
Weather is pretty unrealistic.  In the RW, pilots review weather a lot for a reason...it can be very dangerous.  In FSX, not so much.
The feeling of flying through the ebbs and flows of the air is pretty poor.  See this RW video of a Seminole landing.  Notice how the plane is gently moved around by the air on final.  I've never had the feeling of that in FSX/P3D:

Interestingly enough, weather and atmospherics was one of the things MSFlight actually did pretty well. I remember taking up a light plane in heavy weather and wanting to kiss the ground when I finally staggered into a landing. I am not a real pilot, but after getting thrown all over the sky like that I certainly learned why they worry so much around weather. It had my heart racing a bit.

Perhaps that's something Dovetail will retain if their new offering turns out to be based on FLIGHT.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Does anyone know how to set up a joystick with GTA V flying with the keyboard is the worst. I have looked all over the Internet GTAV forums and cannot find it

The Xbox 360 (PC) controller works in GTA-5 I'm told.  I'm not sure about flight-sticks ..but this might help...

http://ngemu.com/threads/gta-v-pc-and-x360ce-compatibility.170785/

If all else fails, you could try using Joy to Key. It's helped me get joysticks enabled in the past...

http://joytokey.net/en/

Maybe some modder will tweak the values to make the planes fly a bit more realistically.

I hope so anyway as the flight mechanics obviously need working on; yet even so, as the following video and forum quote demonstrate, GTA 5 on PC is still a unique flying experience......

Reddit forum discussion

Quote:

"I'm totally addicted to the game itself, I'd call it a masterpiece of a PC game. Anyways, I was really looking forward to the flying but I have to agree with you. Bascially, any G.A. aircraft's top speed is like...slow flight or Vr lol. The mechanics are clunky and akward and flight simmers and pilots alike laugh it off, but I'll be damned if it's not some of the most beautiful scenery I've experienced in game. Flying around the city at night is wonderful and does have that element that no flightsim has yet with lights at night".

https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/344sl9/the_flight_mechanics_are_so_bad_but_it_can_look/

.GTA 5 and Oculus Rift

https://youtu.be/BOXYSoYZcz0?t=432

There does appear to be some very limited damage modeling available in certain FSX planes........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Reddit forum discussion

Quote:

"I'm totally addicted to the game itself, I'd call it a masterpiece of a PC game. Anyways, I was really looking forward to the flying but I have to agree with you. Bascially, any G.A. aircraft's top speed is like...slow flight or Vr lol. The mechanics are clunky and akward and flight simmers and pilots alike laugh it off, but I'll be damned if it's not some of the most beautiful scenery I've experienced in game. Flying around the city at night is wonderful and does have that element that no flightsim has yet with lights at night".

I've spent a lot of time thinking about that sort of thing the last few years, and my strongest theory is that its generally because modern "serious" sims, besides being technologically antiquated, began with a "plane-downwards" approach where everything begins with the planes and the most immediately surrounding technology, with the rest of the world being a type of variably detailed filler.

Orbx and other companies have made a business filling in the missing pieces of world detail, but are limited in many ways by the inherent limitations of the FSX design.

GTA is a "world-upwards" approach that starts with the fidelity of the environment, and then tries to maintain the integrity of that environment with equal weight given to the various components, upwards.

Unrealistically labor intensive for a whole-earth simulator, but there may be a middle ground: Procedural generation.

Keep an eye out for Outerra, and wish them well.

Devons rig

I haven't touched my flightsims since I bought GTA 5, i'm in shock at how amazing this game is :o :wacko::lol:

There does appear to be some very limited damage modeling available in certain FSX planes........

Yes not bad at all.  But of course in GTA every plane, copter and car etc has damage modelling, and every person, animal, building and street light etc has crash detection and ai interaction, thus making it a unique 'realworld' flying/driving/cycling experience..available not in the future but here and now. 

Contrast flying around a city in FSX or P3D -with the same old dummy buildings and towers that we've known and loved for over 10 years - with fun flights like these....

Flying in VR! GTA 5 Oculus Rift

https://youtu.be/QSroDxz4y9w?t=189

Tower heli-pad landing - Oculus Rift

https://youtu.be/BOXYSoYZcz0?t=95

I haven't touched my flightsims since I bought GTA 5, i'm in shock at how amazing this game is :o :wacko::lol:

Hi FSX,

Just wondering what your PC specs are to be able run GTA on max. 

Thanks

Hi FSX,

Just wondering what your PC specs are to be able run GTA on max. 

Thanks

ASUS ROG G751 Series Laptop 

Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 

24GB Memory 

1TB HDD Internal 7200rpm

256GB SSD 

2TB HDD External 7200rpm 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

17.3 IPS SCREEN 

Windows 8.1 64-Bit 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5    (etc)

Thanks.  That gives me something to aim for, for a new rig.

BTW. These GTA 'editor' movies just get better.  Very cinematic this one >>

(at least until the shooting starts half way through).

https://youtu.be/VRFnWpULqEI?t=12

I've had GTAV on my PS4 since it was released last year. I've been reading all the extremely positive stuff about the PC release so I managed to pick up a digital copy of the PC release at a reduced price last week. I can tell you downloading 60GB on a 2MB connection is painful.

It was good on PS4, but is a masterpiece on PC. It's a tour de force in game design and showcases what can be done with modern hardware and graphics cards.

It only reinforces my belief that The Future is not a platform built on legacy ESP engine, but needs to be a totally new platform built from the ground up.

BTW, I'm running it on a laptop with an i7-4710HQ, 16GB RAM and a GTX970M. All settings maxed out and it's smooth as butter.

(GTA5) was good on PS4, but is a masterpiece on PC. It's a tour de force in game design and showcases what can be done with modern hardware and graphics cards.

...add to that the ever growing number of mods being produced for GTA-5 on PC..and the fun and insanity keep on growing....

It's raining planes

BTW. Great specs on your laptop (drool)

Apparently the modders pounced instantly.

Devons rig