Sign in to follow this  
TooWings

Amazing potential of GTA-5 on PC

At which point, it's worth re-iterating the following for anyone that may not have seen it: 

sZLKHZx.png

:lol:

Edit: XP-10 at 50% on the first round of daily deals.  Look out credit card....

Have you tried disabling the Steam overlay? Also, what's bad about borderless windowed mode? If you set it to your monitor's native resolution, it's basically fullscreen but with much better performance. In fact, in my opinion, it's better because it makes alt-tabbing so much easier. All you have to do is press the Windows button.

Yes.   I already did that.  It's why I don't experience the crashing anymore but there is still a problem with the game randomly deciding to be a slide show sometimes upon start.    Restarting the game seems to fix it.   This is with a fully cleaned driver set, the newest set.    Hopefully it is addressed in the next patch.    Borderless window mode doesn't really bother me BUT I think it might be contributing to the problem.    Game needs another patch or two to be perfect.   It's worth the wait.   Great game.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

...but there is still a problem with the game randomly deciding to be a slide show sometimes upon start.   .

....Great game.

Hi Kur,

I hope you found a fix for the problem.  If not perhaps try using an older graphics driver.

More info here -on Tom's Hardware forum etc  >

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gta+5+pc+low+fps+on+startup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=8Nd5VfjeOPCU7QaZ5oGoBQ

PS.....

Only in GTA >

;-)

Surprise

https://youtu.be/WFDgEKPvcsw

Stunts

https://youtu.be/lqVrHa4R5Lk?t=52

The world graphics are clearly awesome.  Over the top awesome, in fact.  But I'm not sure what this has to do with flight simulation.

GTA clearly excels in environment, but the cars and planes? Not so much, either in terms of physics or appearance.  Sorry, but the cheesy appearance of both the car and the plane (interior and exterior), and the wildly unrealistic physics demonstrated for both the car and plane in the "Harrier-style..." vid simply kill any sense of simulation immersion for me.  Even a helicopter couldn't do what that VTO plane was doing, herky-jerking all over the sky.

Fun?  Sure and there's not a doggone thing wrong with that.  But simulation?  Not so much.  (And no, I'm not trying to play the game vs sim, "I'm better than you 'cause I'm a simmer" card).  There's nothing wrong with game playing or fantasy physics.  But there's nothing wrong with wanting real world physics and appearance in a sim either, and this just isn't either a driving or flying sim fun as it may be.  Speaking from a simulation point of view, the visual appeal of the environment can't save the immersion factor for me when it comes to vehicle appearance and behavior from a sim point of view which is, almost by definition, focused first on the vehicle and its appearance and behavior and then looking outward.

Sure, I'd love the detail of the GTA world environment, but only to augment and enhance the simulation of the real-world car/plane, not in lieu of it.

Scott

GTA clearly excels in environment, but the cars and planes? Not so much, either in terms of physics or appearance. Sorry, but the cheesy appearance of both the car and the plane (interior and exterior), and the wildly unrealistic physics demonstrated for both the car and plane in the "Harrier-style..." vid simply kill any sense of immersion for me.

Have you played GTA4? GTA4's car damage modeling and physics is years ahead of GTA5's. If you haven't, pick it up now during the Steam sale and you won't regret it. It still is one of my favorite games ever. Edited by linux731

"GTA clearly excels in environment, but the cars and planes? Not so much, either in terms of physics or appearance. "

-Scott

------

I've never denied that GTA is currently angled towards arcade-style physics for planes and helis etc. But very many FSX and X-Plane fans use GTA for casual flying in highly interactive realworld scenery with ai and crash / damage detection etc -which is sadly all but missing in X-Plane and FSX etc with its ghost road traffic and empty cities.

Although FSX etc obviously excel in other areas, its not until you actually 'fly around in GTA-5 on PC that you can appreciate the sheer barn-storming thrill of flying and driving in a multi-layered interactive environment..then you realise how empty and ghost-like is flying around in 'proper' sims by comparison.

But at the end of the days its not black vs white as each sim/game has its advantages.

But for me GTA-5 shows us how flightsims may look in say 10 or 20 years from now.. i.e. a highly interactive virtual world..but with proper aircraft currently used in FSX etc, only much better.   GTA-5 gives us a taste of that. future.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the following video shows how GTA compares to FSX in emergency landing situations and training.-with ai traffic and crash detection on all objects...

Highway landing.....GTA

Highway landing.....X-Plane  (note the 'make-believe' ghost traffic, bridges and trees etc).

I've flown both MSFS and X-Plane for 10 years or so.... but there's just something about the grit of GTA flying that makes me smile....  even on the older console version .....

Beach landing GTA (console)

But for me GTA-5 shows us how flightsims may look in say 10 or 20 years from now.. i.e. a highly interactive virtual world..but with proper aircraft currently used in FSX etc, only much better.   GTA-5 gives us a taste of that. future.

That's the sad part. We have to wait until ~2025 for a PC flight simulator with the same quality of graphics as this 2015 re-mastered version of a 2013 previous-gen console game. When it finally does come out, it will run at 15 FPS unless you have the fastest CPU and GPU available at the time and spend 3 solid weeks tweaking the sim, your OS and your hardware.

Yet the graphics engine already exists, and runs at a constant 60 FPS on today's high-end systems.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The world graphics are clearly awesome.  Over the top awesome, in fact.  But I'm not sure what this has to do with flight simulation.

GTA clearly excels in environment, but the cars and planes? Not so much, either in terms of physics or appearance.  Sorry, but the cheesy appearance of both the car and the plane (interior and exterior), and the wildly unrealistic physics demonstrated for both the car and plane in the "Harrier-style..." vid simply kill any sense of simulation immersion for me.  Even a helicopter couldn't do what that VTO plane was doing, herky-jerking all over the sky.

I suggest that it will be quite straight-forward in enhance the physics in GTA in comparison to the graphics and appearance.

Scott said:

"Sorry, but the cheesy appearance of..the car (interior and exterior) and the wildly unrealistic
physics demonstrated...".

----------------------

Are you sure you've actually tried out the cars in GTA-5 on PC, Scott?  >

GTA-5 road trip (full crash damage detection and ai integration)
https://youtu.be/z0mS1gM7zLw?t=62

FSX road trip
https://youtu.be/LVtLMd4IWc4?t=11

I suggest that it will be quite straight-forward in enhance the physics in GTA in comparison to the graphics and appearance.

The physics engine in GTA 5 is already far more advanced than anything in FSX/P3D. It's just that it's tuned for "exciting" gameplay rather than realistic simulation. It has to be easy to drive the cars and fly the planes, and also to do "unrealistic" stunts like jumps and spins etc. Just by tweaking the parameters of the physics engine, it would be possible to create an extremely realistic simulation environment.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Honestly, the problem is not the physics engine, give the right interfaces into it and give it to a sufficiently talented developer and job done.  If RealAir (or similar) can do the silk purse job from the sow's ear that is the default FSX flight model, I have no doubt that given the right incentives (and a bit of engine developer support for things that GTA probably doesn't model, like temperature and air pressure), they could do the same for GTA V, or Outerra, or any engine that exposes basic physics parameters.

Even if you can expose the right information, get the right developers to make the flight model etc, you've still got the problem that the engine is only proven capable of handling an area of under 100 km^2, and with view distances of under 15km (a fact that is camouflaged by the general compression of everything on the map, size wise).  Scale the draw distances and world size and you are talking about a machine eater of a game, that will eat any consumer pc alive for at least the next 5-10 years.  Engines like Outerra deal with this by putting a lot of effort into procedural generation, with some custom layers on top, GTA has none of that, it's all carefully designed to meet the needs of the player, it's just not a platform that is well placed to scale up without cutting back on the detail that attracted people in the first place.  

Now none of this is a criticism of GTA, and many of the issues are just as applicable to, say, ARMA III, it's good at what it does, and I'm sure it's a real hoot for realism-be-damned barnstorming, but the design decisions made to create a wonderful interactive world from ground level are exactly the decisions that will bite it in the bum if they try scale it to do anything that simulates enough of a world for a realistic flight simulator, even if taking the Aerofly model of small map, high fidelity.