Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

SP1 Released

I know that.....the picture was done anyway later as I tried to get the APR Button function and finally I decide to make a mised approach but also couple of miles before where the glideslope coming in there was no chance to activate it

Ok... let's see if I can get this right and make sense.

Before Takeoff:

I press the ALT, HDG and VS buttons, in that order.

I then set my desired cruise altitude and initial vertical speed. I set my heading bug once I am lined up on the runway.

After Takeoff:

When I have stabilized my climb near my desired initial VS, I activate Auto Pilot.

Having programmed a flight plan in the FMS, once ATC has sent me on course, I then press NAV (flight plan already loaded in FMS).

During climb, I adjust the vertical speed as needed to keep my desired speed.

When I reach my preset altitude, the plane levels off and holds there and NAV mode holds me on course programmed into FMS.

Descent:

After ATC has cleared me to descend, I set the assigned altitude and then the VS to desired descent rate.

When ATC gives me the first vector to set up for approach, I first press the heading Sync button, then the HDG button, then I change the heading bug to desired heading.

After I am in HDG mode, I press the NAV/BRG button and use the scroll wheel below that button to select VOR1, then press the NAV/BRG button again to select it.

Then I set NAV1 to the ILS frequency for the given runway.

Approach:

I continue to use HDG mode and adjust altitude as required from ATC.

When ATC has given me vector for final approach, I wait until the localizer begins to move while also making sure that the glideslope indicator is present on the display. I've learned from using other Carenado products, that it is important to wait until the localizer begins moving toward the center and that the glideslope indicator is on screen (it usually doesn't show up until you are within 20nm of runway). Once these conditions are met, I then activate APPR mode and from there, it's all about adjusting flaps and speed to touchdown, disengaging autopilot 300-700 feet AGL.

Hopefully I've described this so it is understandable and I hope I haven't missed anything since I'm writing this without actually flying at the moment. If this can help anyone else on this forum find some success with the Hawker, that would be great.

The approach parts sounds right to me

For takeoff you can set ALT and HDG in advance.  For AP engagement I just hand fly it until climb speed (250kias when under 10k ft), then engage AP, press HDG to engage that mode, then just use the scroll wheel  on the left to adjust VS/pitch.  I don't press ALT at any time.  If you just leave it alone the acft will pitch for the angle you set on the scroll wheel and capture alt (ALTS mode displayed on the PFD in white).

This isn't realistic of course (the climbing part) as we've all found out, but that's how I do it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've posted this in another thread bit may have not be seen.

As far as I know you can use FLC to climb:

Ok, here's how I've managed to get FLC working with the SP1 Hawker 850XP. I haven't made any other changes to the XML, .cfg or .air files. This doesn't necessarily reflect real world operation:

1. Set up your autopilot with a 250 knots IAS bug and your target FL (in my case, FL370). Also set your VS bug (the circle on the PFD) to about 1800 fpm.

2. FD on, the other autopilot switches off. (may not be relevant).

3. Set your takeoff power. If you're using full power, the trim should be set just before the TRIM annunciator light comes on. This will give you a nice 10 degrees pitch.

4. After takeoff, pitch to 10 degrees, lowering down to about 5-8 degrees depending on weight. Clean up the airplane (flaps/gears up)

5. You should see on the PFD, ROLL in green and ALTS in white. Autopilot at this stage should be off.

After you are done with the initial climb, you can set for cruise climb:

6. NAV mode engaged. This will switch to NAV mode on the PFD.

7. Switch on the AP master. This should switch you to ALTS in green on the PFD. The airplane is now using VS to climb. I didn't try climbing all the way but ALT SEL should be engaged and it should level you off.

8. Now switch on FLC. This should switch you to FLC at your chosen speed (or a few knots above/below it). FLC should now be displayed on your PFD along with your chosen speed. This should also level you off at the chosen altitude. I recommend switching on FLC when you're at about 240-247 knots depending on how quickly you are moving up the speed tape. Don't do it too early as it might want to pitch nose down to build up speed to expedite the FLC target climb speed.

9. Passing Mach 0.7, you can press the mach toggle (the same IAS speed knob) and set for Mach 0.7 to climb up to your chosen flight level.

Give this a try and see if it works. Seems to work okay for me.

If you want to join Public Beta 2,  Buy.

Else, Wait.

Bert

Hi guys,

I was really unsure if I should jump on board reading all these posts, but got it yesterday anyway and I am loving it! It' s great to fly, really quick and has a lot of performance (now). You have to be on top of things, especially as the AP modes don' always do what you like them to do. It' s still flyable though! There is lots to learn and enjoy like the Proline 21 displays with terrain indication and the fms. The documentation is a bit better now, but still room for improvement.

It's not as easy a jet as the Phenom more like the ES Citation X, but not as complex sytemwise as the latter.

I came across following bugs, as previously noted:

AP VS does not arm ALTS mode and does not level off.

FLC is mostly unreliable and even dives while climbing.

It follows a flightplan nicely, but the DIR function works strangely and does not always go directly, but keeps the previous waypoints in the legs page.

When flying on a heading, before arming NAV the course deviation bar to the FMS plan relative to the acft symbol sometimes shows to the wrong side. When arming NAV it changes to the correct side.

There is probably more, this is just what I came across so far. Hopefully these bugs will be sorted out. In the meantime just use the tips in the previous posts, like flying in pitch mode and adjusting your vs with the wheel to be sure to get a level off.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Perry

Regards, Perry

I haven't seen much trash-talk on this bird since SP1 came out. Is it a Buy or a Wait?

I can add "AP does not follow GS after LOC capture" to the list. (First few times I had no problems). 

I also found that after disconnecting the AP in this case I was unable to select any mode like APCH or NAV again to at least have some FD indicating.

So to summon it up: Yes great to fly, but there are some major AP issues and some issues with direct to of the FMS, as our colleagues already found out.

Regards, Perry

Has anyone had any issues with the airspeed during the descent? I noticed that if you reduce the throttle just a little, the airspeed drops significantly and it takes a while to build up again.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Longrangecruise

I did buy the Hawker and am really enjoying it. Have had no problems with AP or capturing the G/S. Once you figure out a few little quirks its really not that much different.

Just got word that SP2 is on the way and it should be out next week. I think now would be the best time to let Carenado know about all the bugs everyone has found and possible improvements that can be made.

One thing I struggled to understand is why the VNAV would cause the aircraft to descend even if you haven't changed the target altitude on the autopilot to a lower altitude. Also, while in VNAV, the aircraft automatically starts to descend and when you change the target altitude, the descend rate increases to a very dangerous rate. Has anyone else experienced this?

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer