Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

NickN now gives advise on tuning P3D

There is thread on simforums, that started out as a "thanks NickN" sort of thing, which has morphed into NickN giving advice on tuning P3D with an accompanying plethora of screen shots showing his results.   Thought I'd never live to see this happen.  Maybe it's time for me jump ship too.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Your decision to move to P3D would be made, purely because someone has given advice on how to optimize it?

There are literally dozens of threads on how to optimize P3D here on Avsim (many by Rob Ainscough).

Nothing personal against NickN (don't really know anything about him) but all of his advice regarding optimizing FSX never improved anything at my end - in fact doing the opposite often gave me improvements, literally!

His advice has helped many. I use his guides as a basic starting point for everything with FSX.

Your decision to move to P3D would be made, purely because someone has given advice on how to optimize it?

No

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Well if you cant beat them join them! but do it very quietly!,after all the arguments flight1 caused around the different forums about the rights and wrongs of P3d,and that they were protecting their livelihoods by not supporting P3d! one has to laugh,interested to find out why the about face,but we all really know why don't we, I think I might go onto there forums and have some fun,the thing is I do not think we have really seen what P3d is really capable of yet and the lack of support by devs in the early days maybe slowed LM progress it down,there is an interesting comment by a very well respected painter on SOH (I have taken the liberty of pinching his words see below )

"Exactly right Rick. I've been an airbrush artist for 57 years. Hot rod boats, cars and airplanes. I'm lucky to have an advantage working with light and transparency for all of those years.

I've seen the comments that P3D is just some cloud shadows. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The light rendering in P3D is dynamic in three dimensions, in that you can stack specs and alpha to produce live color changes depending on light, angle and direction. Once people begin to understand how to utilize this function, we'll be off to the races.

I've spent the last two years immersing myself in learning the tech. I'm just scratching the surface."

Pretty amazing stuff....

this man really knows his stuff maybe the best is still yet to come! and welcome Flight1 to the dark side,we all knew that you would have to join in the end

peter

His advice has helped many. I use his guides as a basic starting point for everything with FSX.

+1

Nicks advice and threads remind me of the old H&R Block commercials....

"When NickN talks, people listen"

Any advice given on how to optimize P3d is welcome news to me.  Seems like Flight One is slowly embracing the platform which is great IMO!

RE Thomason Jr.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Hangar Chat" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

NickN knows absolutely nothing more then anyone else in this community. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

NickN knows absolutely nothing more then anyone else in this community. 

I would not go that far.  Being a developer within the Flight1 team, he knows a few things more than many of us.  I for one am thankful for an additional hand.  P3D requires very little tweaks but we all want to squeeze out as much performance as we can, don't we?

As for Flight1 joining the P3D camp, the company is here to make money.  Their success will make sure more good product for us to choose and enjoy.  This hobby is a niche, software cannot run forever without proper support.  Unless Dovetail seriously making money with FSX:SE, they too will cut losses.  I chose P3D because I don't want to spend time worry about crash, OOM etc., so far I have not regret the decision yet.   Well that and pop free autogen, shadows etc. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Crud, I did not post this in the forum,.  I was not keen on expounding NickN's tweaks in this forum.  I thought his "about-face" is far more interesting than his current advise, and was really the intent of this topic being in Hangar Chat.  My bad for including P3D in the title. :(

Rod O.

Actually, it was E.F. Hutton, not H&R Block.  Brokerage house versus tax preparer

Jeff Callender

(don't really know anything about him

He has a cult following and has written and incredibly detailed guide for FSX. If I were P3D I would not close my mind to his teachings

ZORAN

And his advice on installing Windows 7 is second to none. I have never had a windows CTD due to following Nicks advice.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I'm going to do the same myself,  didn't really know much about him until i seen the post under the Youtub video he done,  pretty cool stuff. 

Thanks to every one for the kind words about the video. Of course all I did was build the system and fly and the flight. Can't even take credit for the system build since I just followed the directions of NickN at www.simforums.com Cant believe this has got nearly 20k views. should have stuck an add on it and made my self $50 LOL. If you want to get the same results you can do one of 2 thing. 1. Follow the guides of NickN exactly! Again at www.simforums.com And I mean EXACTLY!!!!!! 2. Try absolutely any other approach and don't get same results. Oh and for the 2 people who didn't like the video; Go suck on a lemon! LOL

I used Nick's tweaks religiously back in the day  with every install of FSX and it worked for me.  However, after the OPTIMIZE_PARTS tweak, my P3D hums along nicely indeed.  If NickN can squeeze more juice out of it - respect to that man indeed.