Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

NickN now gives advise on tuning P3D

does he use Orbx ? if he does not then there is no point me reading his "BIBLE",I seem to remember him having a fit when Orbx released their Global add on,ranting and raving on his forum,I also remember a lot more that his little crowd did to rubbish P3d,but it is good to see them come to there sense,s and support P3d

peter

does he use Orbx ? if he does not then there is no point me reading his "BIBLE",I seem to remember him having a fit when Orbx released their Global add on,ranting and raving on his forum

His products compete with Orbx, so I think the answer is 'no'.  His screenies over at the simflight forums are all GEX.

BUT I'm very happy that he is onboard with P3D

does he use Orbx ? if he does not then there is no point me reading his "BIBLE",

I would have thought an optimized system would be optimized across the board. I think you mean specific ORBX settings and of course he cant give you that.

ZORAN

Your decision to move to P3D would be made, purely because someone has given advice on how to optimize it?

There are literally dozens of threads on how to optimize P3D here on Avsim (many by Rob Ainscough).

OP  -  on reflection, apologies if I came across a bit smug with the above - that wasn't my attention. I just believe there are some out there that position themselves as gurus but any advice given rarely applies to every user. It just seemed odd that you'd now make the decision to move to P3D purely based on NickN starting to offer advice on it, when Rob Ainscough, Matt Davies, and others have been offering good optimization advice for some time. Each to their own though and again apologies if my comment came across as tetchy.

It is also a valid point (made by others above) that NickN is a developer of payware texture products that compete with Orbx FTX and as such, he's unlikely to be an Orbx user.     ...and Orbx products often need a slightly different approach when the sim is being tweaked.

So..er...where does one actually find this advice?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

www.simforums.com

NickN doesn't 'do' AVSIM.  :smile:

If you follow NickN's advice on P3D and use his cfg example with any scenery add-on with above average complexity, you will get an OOM within seconds.

While setting most scenery sliders to max may work with default scenery when coupled with a 1024 texture resolution, it doesn't with complex add-ons.

Cheers,

Jerome

I wasn't aware that P3D needed to be optimised. I certainly haven't needed to mess about with the Prepar3d.cfg file.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

www.simforums.com

NickN doesn't 'do' AVSIM.   :smile:

There are rather a lot of threads on there...Which one is it?

Dave

@Ron Hamilton,

Nick is a smart guy and he knows much more than average simmers.

Why being so rude?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I used Nick's tweaks religiously back in the day with every install of FSX and it worked for me. However, after the OPTIMIZE_PARTS tweak, my P3D hums along nicely indeed. If NickN can squeeze more juice out of it - respect to that man indeed.

Me too but I don't really think P3D needs much tweaking. I have no mods apart from the OPTIMIZE_PARTS tweak like you and all is running very nicely on my old PC with an oldish GPU.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

these are the starting settings......these may not work for BS over the top scenery and planes..

BS over the top scenery and planes?? Aren't they the ones that most of us use? :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Nick's "bible" for FSX had minimal tweaking. His philosophy is that only better hardware improves performance. That thread on Simforums carries that philosophy through for P3d. Almost all of his CFG settings are identical to those posted by a number of individuals here at AVSim, including Rob A..

A few bear mentioning. First is he dislikes LM's implementation of HDR. On this point I have to agree with him. Even with all the shader mods that have been proposed, HDR doesn't add much if your weather engine is solid.

Second, he uses frames locked at 60 FPS. I assume that he is doing this to activate TBM, a setting which is disabled when running unlocked. Again, I've tried both approaches (60 locked vs. unlocked) and they seem to give identical results for me. Vsync off is sensible, unless one sees screen tearing.

Else, he has knocked a few sliders down from their max settings and is suggesting using OPTIMIZE_PARTS. And no NI meddling.

I guess what this shows that deep down all "religions" and their "bibles" are the same.

BS over the top scenery and planes?? Aren't they the ones that most of us use? :smile:

I think you might be reading a bit too much into NickN's semi-sarcastic posting style. My take is that he is saying that if one runs complex aircraft combined with a ton of "eye candy" scenery, no fooling with P3d settings is going to make a significant improvement in performance.

I have applied Nick_N's tips and recommendations to my P3D installation more or loss completely. The result was a substantial increase in fps (5 - 7 on average), thereas graphic quality and fps stability was equal or even better than my previous setup. I am going on to test, but so far I am very pleased.

Arndt 

Arndt Laube

P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5

Brunner CLS-E Yoke & Rudder, 2x Logitech Throttle, several GoFlight modules

Intel i7 9700K, 16 GB RAM, Geforce 1080Ti, monitors 3840 x 2160 and 1360 x 768