Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

NickN now gives advise on tuning P3D

I think you might be reading a bit too much into NickN's semi-sarcastic posting style. My take is that he is saying that if one runs complex aircraft combined with a ton of "eye candy" scenery, no fooling with P3d settings is going to make a significant improvement in performance.

I think you'll find that's why I added the :smile: at the end :wink: I was just amused by the "BS" definition of scenery addons that (I am guessing) many members reading this thread will be using.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have applied Nick_N's tips and recommendations to my P3D installation more or loss completely. The result was a substantial increase in fps (5 - 7 on average), thereas graphic quality and fps stability was equal or even better than my previous setup. I am going on to test, but so far I am very pleased.

Arndt 

Glad to hear it.  Keen to try them out this evening

I just believe there are some out there that position themselves as gurus but any advice given rarely applies to every user. It just seemed odd that you'd now make the decision to move to P3D purely based on NickN starting to offer advice on it, when Rob Ainscough, Matt Davies, and others have been offering good optimization advice for some time.

Come on there.  Seems you did not read my one word reply to your curt extrapolation, or my followup to my topic being moved from Hangar Chat (which suffers some severe hasty editing issues BTW).  I don't know if NickN's advice is any more relevant than all the work Rob and others have put forth here.  My OP parting comment has far more to do with "it's about time" that I got with the plan, than "OMG if NickN says something" I'll mindlessly follow.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Well, it is about P3D, so where else would it go? It's also worth noting that Craig apologised somewhat to you in post #19.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I had another flight with Nick_N's settings, and I am still very pleased. New for me have been his tips regarding shadow settings and the 60 fps locked. Everything else I know from other guides, too. But the combination of seetings is really effective.

Of course, there is shimmering because of the waiver of NI. If I combine Nick_N's settings with 4x Sparse Grid Supersamling from NI, then I still have a 3 to 4 fps advantage in front of my previous settings and great graphics. 

I will keep these settings.

Arndt Laube

P3Dv4.5 and P3Dv5

Brunner CLS-E Yoke & Rudder, 2x Logitech Throttle, several GoFlight modules

Intel i7 9700K, 16 GB RAM, Geforce 1080Ti, monitors 3840 x 2160 and 1360 x 768

Come on there.  Seems you did not read my one word reply to your curt extrapolation, or my followup to my topic being moved from Hangar Chat (which suffers some severe hasty editing issues BTW).

What is wrong with you?   I took the time and courtesy to apologize to you twice if my post did come across as curt.....  how many people ever admit they may have been wrong on forums like this?

and yet you lauch into am unneccesary scathing response, where anyone else might have said "thanks for being man enough to apologize".

You're one mean-spirited fella ....... good luck to you.   Put me on your "ignore list" - I'll reciprocate.

It's also worth noting that Craig apologised somewhat to you in post #19.

Thanks Chris.

I used Nicks settings with FSX and I applied them to P3D long ago with the same great results. The key is to follow his bible in SETTING UP YOUR SYSTEM - get THAT right and all else falls into place. Skip that and just plug some tweaks in and you will be complaining that Nick's tweaks do nothing.

For those who think that Nick is just another simmer with a little knowledge be aware that he is a has a doctorate in EE, has written BIOS for ASUS, coded for NASA and consulted with NVidia AND Aces. He really DOES know quite a bit about the inner workings of FSX. He has already stated that LM made some significant improvements which require less tweaking than FSX.

Listen to him or not, always your choice but IMHO if you don't at least consider what he says, you are missing out.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is there a direct link to Nick's Guide other than www.simforums.com, because I looked in there and unless I need SpecSavers(hic!), could not see his Guide?

Thanks.

EDIT: Found it.

OPTIMIZE_PARTS

Hi Jay.

Just read your post and have knocked back to 60FPS, and unchecked Vsync. where does this OPTIMIZE exist?

I tuned three FSX systems following Nick's guidance, and got great results.  He was also personally very helpful on an individual level.  As vgbaron said above, he's deeply knowledgeable and highly qualified.

I didn't follow his lead in setting up my current system because I've become reluctant to do a lot of intricate fine-tuning (for example, turning off services and making other changes in Windows), and because my P3D seemed to run well without too much adjustment.

But I'll definitely look at his P3D advice and see what he has to say.

www.simforums.com

NickN doesn't 'do' AVSIM.   :smile:

Thanks Craig!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Just read it and it does seem like good starting point. What I do love is his response to the license troll questions - well done Nick :LMAO:

Anyone offering to help out in anyway is great in my book - one thing I noticed is clipmode being added in spot plane view - its all ready in there ?

Rich Sennett