Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

FSX: SE/P3Dv2, which one is better at this point?

Putting this in either forum would have resulted in biased feedback so I posted this in Hanger Chat.

My question to everyone one out there, what's the verdict?

For me:

1. FSX: SE has the years of add-ons that work right out the box (slight update required in some cases) and P3Dv2 is getting many things converted but has a long way to catch up.

2. P3Dv2 has superior updates and look to the core engine yet FSX: SE has a performance upgrade to what it had before

3. Both are under development more than people realize behind the scenes

4. Add-ons for the most part will have a higher cost for P3Dv2 versus FSX: SE but for products like 'Orbx' it might be worth it (but is it)

5. LM could pull the plug at any time yet leaving high priced buyers in the cold where as FSX: SE is going no where for a cheaper admission cost thanks to Steam and some support for it in high places.  It's almost like fans have finally taken the helm behind DT that will keep it going

So what do you guys think?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon, I think that responses will be all over the map. If you ask three rabbis to interpret some passage from the Torah, you'll get at least seven different opinions...

...I submit that flight simulator software is about the same. :Just Kidding:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Dillon, I think that responses will be all over the map. If you ask three rabbis to interpret some passage from the Torah, you'll get at least seven different opinions...

Just wondering where people are at.  Your right but there should be a general consensus of some sort at this point that's why I lead the discussions with what I'm seeing.  It's hard to say which option is going to have the staying power per user investment in add-ons after what we saw with MS dropping the franchise.  LM could do the same but a product on Steam may be the better option as it's not controlled by a big company and has the freedom to stay around no matter what it's profit margins are.  They both are awesome choices now that DT is working on fixes of their own.  As long as both work on future OS's like Windows 10 we're good (which they will with active development going on).

For me I'm trying to decide whether to switch gears and go with FSX: SE as LM is working on a 64Bit version of their option.  Why spend and wait and spend hours building P3Dv2 up with add-ons when it will all be junk once P3D 64Bit comes out.  Many of the same add-ons are cheaper for FSX: SE and I could save and wait for a true 64Bit version and start from there.  Just like FS9 I could spend that time building up FSX: SE like FS9 and freeze that build in favor of the new one.  What I mean is I have an FS9 box and a P3D box.  Both offer something the other can't deliver on 'yet'.  FS9 still has way more add-ons (taking into account payware and freeware) than FSX has even today.  P3D is no where near where FSX with the number of official add-ons and conversion may or may not work.  Many add-ons still aren't working correctly in P3Dv2.  Some may never work.  So I thought I'd post this thread to not only get feedback but also to get people thinking and have a good discussion about it. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

oof! this one has 'RISK OF CLOSURE' written all over it. But, here goes! ;)

I think the general consensus is that if you're happy with FSX/FSX:SE then stick with it. SE gives you the added support of multiplayer and there does seem to be some more minor bugfixes being addressed so that can only be a good thing.

P3D seems to be moving towards supporting more modern hardware and now that the heavyweights have P3D releases, it's more of a viable option if you have the hardware to support it.

Can Lockheed Martin drop support for P3D for all but the Professional users? Yes.

Will Dovetail brush SE under the carpet, once their MS Flight based new simulator is out the door? I'll put money on it.

Will X-Plane 10 eventually be the sim that we all deserve but didn't really think it would be? ..Maybe ;)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Will X-Plane 10 eventually be the sim that we all deserve but didn't really think it would be? ..Maybe ;)

That what I would suppose, too.

Being asked which one is better at this point: "FSX:SE or P3D?" I have to answer:

for me it is XP10! B)

(I migrated to XP10 in early March 2015...)

P3Dv2.

LM is as likely to abandon Prepar3d as Dovetail is likely to abandon FSX:SE. I don't understand the premise that LM will abandon Prepar3d on a whim?

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Putting this in either forum would have resulted in biased feedback so I posted this in Hanger Chat

You'll get "biased feedback" even here. BTW, which one is better for you? 

Coming from you, Fr Bill,----the clerical analogy---- that is priceless :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

which one is better for you? 

There might be a clue in his signature somewhere.... ;)

Neil Andrews.

Are we ruling out aerofly FS ? 

For me its P3D,     Could LM really pull the plug on our little world ? 

Most of this discussion is akin to asking people to say which football team or religion is best (i.e. something best left unasked), but I have to comment on this:

LM could do the same but a product on Steam may be the better option as it's not controlled by a big company and has the freedom to stay around no matter what it's profit margins are.  They both are awesome choices now that DT is working on fixes of their own.  

Seriously, this is just nonsense.  Being on steam does not give "the freedom to stay around no matter what it's profit margins are".  Both DTG and Valve are big companies (estimates of Valve's worth generally start around $3B) and DTG certainly isn't doing this for free.  At best, it guarantees you'll never need to find your install media, but as for it guaranteeing development no matter what?  That's just wishful thinking.  As Phil said, no-one is currently likely to drop their respective sim.  DTG has Steam sales, the others have a mix of professional and private customers to keep them going.  

If anything is going to get dropped, it's likely to be FSX:SE for the reason Neil mentioned, i.e. it will soon be competing with DTGs new flight game, which makes moving from P3D to FSX:SE a proposition only for the barking mad.  If LM comes out with a 64 bit version, the 32  bit version will still work.  You'll just be in the same situation as FSX has been for the last umpteen years, just with somewhat a better engine.  And do you really want to stay on a 32 bit platform for all eternity?  If you've already built up P3D to your liking, hang on to it, at least until the FSX:SE/new flight game/P3D 64 bit thing shakes out.

Could LM really pull the plug on our little world ?

We all know who LM's target market are and they're not the "academic" folks. 

It's been pointed out by highly respected members of this forum that we're very lucky to even get a chance of having access to this technology and if they decide to pull the plug for academic users, people are going to have to decide whether the price increase for the professional license is worth it or not.

An extremely highly respected developer has recently eluded to the fact that the possible 64Bit versions of their addons would carry with it a much inflated cost.

I personally believe that the 64Bit version of Prepar3D will be a tipping point for many. A lot of people refer to P3D as a 'different animal' but it's not really, is it? When the 64Bit version drops then it really will be a 'different beast' It's all just speculation and no one will really know until it happens.

Neil Andrews.

I would bet on FSX_SE even though I am still inside the box.

Cheers,

lol.. here I go again..

Comparing a game (from the largest gaming distributor, sold for entertainment!) or a sim (a product sold 'not for entertainment'?)?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...