Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

FSX: SE/P3Dv2, which one is better at this point?

It's been pointed out by highly respected members of this forum that we're very lucky to even get a chance of having access to this technology and if they decide to pull the plug for academic users, people are going to have to decide whether the price increase for the professional license is worth it or not.

If they pull the plug for academic users,  would that mean the academic version of P3d would not work?  and we would have to upgrade to the Pro licence?   I wouldn't mind upgrading if it meant all my Add On's would still work in the Pro version,   its 200 quid, sure but really that's nothing considering the amount i have spent in the last 6 months.  

Personally i wouldn't mind.   Its still a hell of a lot cheaper then golfers and there  "golfing weekends"  *snigger* 

lol.. here I go again..

Comparing a game (from the largest gaming distributor, sold for entertainment!) or a sim (a product sold 'not for entertainment'?)?

Come on Robin, let it all out,  don't hold back, we are here to support and listen  :Drooling:  :Big Grin:

For no good reason other than the thing is stable, gives superior performance, and treats me to exquisite visuals, P3Dv2.5 is my undisputed champ. I regularly explore the skies of XPX, FSX:MS, and FSX:SE...to compare/contrast...and that's how I've determined my bias. Yep. :smile: 

Thanks,    

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

P3Dv2.5 is my undisputed champ

Could not agree more.

I migrated to XP10 in early March 2015...

I'll, honestly, be curious about what you think about it in a few more months.  I'm not on any side of this discussion and I don't have XP10.  Every so often I hear some good things about XP10.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. :P

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

P3Dv2.5 is my undisputed champ

Couldn't agree more either. In my opinion SE is stale/dead.

I just wish the OOM's would go away :) We spend thousands on hardware and software and some of the time can't even use it. It has been said a million times before, we need 64 bit.

Couldn't agree more either. In my opinion SE is stale/dead.

We spend thousands on hardware and software and some of the time can't even use it.

So, you enjoy using a sim you cannot use lol

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

LOL.

Well we can use it for sure. Just you start adding some really detailed scenery and aircraft and you haven't got long before it dies. The trouble is we are really pushing the 32 bit platform (mentioned a million times already) and it just wasn't designed for modern eye candy. I tend to make my flights short, and some of the scenery I have I just don't use.

P3D brings so much to FS that FSX / SE can't.  If we're careful and manage the add-ons the immersion that P3D gives is sooo worth it. Just need to fix those darn OOM's!

P3D brings so much to FS that FSX / SE can't. If we're careful and manage the add-ons the immersion that P3D gives is sooo worth it. Just need to fix those darn OOM's!

That is for sure a matter of taste... The visual quality of FSX has improved with P3D.

But while P3D brings a list of VFX "innovations"  to FSX by making use of some DX11 technology, IMO it "skips" quite some more important innovations regarding FS basics, e.g.:

- flight physics overhaul / improved A/C model adaption

- failure and emergency simulation

- connectivity

- replays/analysis/maps

- scenery accuracy

- scenery updates (world scenery and NAV database)

- weather influences on A/C and scenery (computed rather than switched)

... etc.

Like all the people being focused on getting the P3D "new eyecandy increase" running smoothly (due to 32bit perhaps only until the next OOM) on very expensive hardware, I also was shortly before the step to invest largely into improving my 15fps experience inside a PMDG T7 cockpit.

But (fortunately) I came across XP10 due to PMDG's release announcement for their DC-6 for XP10. I took the plunge and am very happy about it.

A return to FSX/P3D in terms of flying experience is not really imaginable for me now.

Sure, there are some "glittery" addon things I miss, but that is all secondary stuff.

My recommendation: folks using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. may stay where they are, as long as being extremely happy with it. But everyone who is not so sure if "that is the end of the world", should try XP10. I made the experince that "this show" goes far beyond what I imagined it to be...

SE (from what I've heard) has better VAS management. That alone should make any simmer give it a look. Their DLC business model I hear is awful.

P3D has eye candy and is still being developed, but in my experience, I get OOMs quite easily.

If I were new to simming as of today, i'd get SE and wait for P3D 64. SE seems better than P3D IMO.

What I actually have now is my original FSX install, P3D Install and the $5 FSX:SE in my Steam library not downloaded. XP10 seems like it needs more work.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

My recommendation: folks using FS9, FSX, P3D etc. may stay where they are, as long as being extremely happy with it. But everyone who is not so sure if "that is the end of the world", should try XP10. I made the experince that "this show" goes far beyond what I imagined it to be...

Does XP10 have AI/ATC figured out now?  Can you have virtual interaction at least on the level of FS9/FSX/P3D?  Without traffic and a decent ATC engine one may as well be using FLIGHT. 

I'd love to give it a try if those things are figured out.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

P3Dv2.   For what I need, it has:  ORBX, ASN, PMDG, A2A, FSDT, FBStudios, PPFX, EFB.  Plus I spend less time tweaking.  For OOM, I just lowered features that consume too much memory.  I got rid of ORBX Vector for example.  I flew 8 hrs plus flights with the 777, never had OOM.  In one instance I did, but that's because I used airport scenery that was too greedy.  FSX:SE is still FSX, still 2006.  XP10 still have many essential ingredients to go before I get back to it: weather, ATC, AI and working shadow (the only performing shadow in XP10 is 3D on aircraft, all other mode kill performance.  Plus in almost all update, some plug-ins will break and I am tired of chasing after it to get it back to working again.

All the talk about the future is pointless, as there is only one rule: if the market for a product will make money, it will continue to be developed.  I have no clue how many people actually use FSX-SE, but I am sure they are much less than FSX.  I have no clues how many are using P3Dv2 either, but the fact that LM invests money to develop v2 means there are money to be made.  All that I wants is that I have a working Sim that can use the HW in the future, and that it works.  So far I have much less frustration with P3Dv2 than with FSX.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Does XP10 have AI/ATC figured out now?  Can you have virtual interaction at least on the level of FS9/FSX/P3D?  Without traffic and a decent ATC engine one may as well be using FLIGHT. 

I'd love to give it a try if those things are figured out.

No, not even close.

I can't say anything about p3d since I don't own it, but for the 1st time ever in FSX, I was able to fly the NGX from FlyTampa's KTPA to FSDreamteam's KDFW and use around 2.6 VAS...using ASN, GSX, REX softclouds, and the usual terrain addons...and it didn't climb.  I'm still trying to figure out the perfect tweak to get my fps back up to where it was, but I'm a happy camper with SE.