Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to open panel windows >No.9?

(>K:PANEL_5) .. that's the one that opens the window, but you can't go beyond 9. You can specify a different bitmap and save as a different file name of course. The first line contains that name...

This just produces the icon to call up the window - whether the window is visible by default or not (if that is what you meant) is specified in the panel.cfg file

Martin 

Thanks , that's an interesting alternative , I had only known of the old ident method ,

as they say ... you learn something new every day .

Cheers

karol

If you don't specify a window, then I agree... as per the example that Mike posted. In that case the ID is crucial, but not in my examples. I've been making these gauges for ten years... believe me...

Unfortunately, that is not completely accurate. The fact that it "sort of works out anyway" is not really relevant. Checking the SDK is a good place to look.

<Click>14200 (>K:PANEL_5)</Click>

The command "PANEL_5" does one, and only one thing: "Toggles panel 5", in other words [Window04].

The number in red (14200) does nothing at all. It doesn't hurt anything, it is simply ignored.

For the most part, only EventID tokens that end in _SET take input variables or constants. Well, there are a couple of exceptions to this, but aren't there always some exceptions? :wink:

Well, as it happens PANEL_ID_TOGGLE, PANEL_ID_OPEN, and PANEL_ID_CLOSE are a few of the exceptions. To be perfectly fair though, the SDK is quite wrong in the descriptions for those three commands though when it states that they only affect the indexed panels (1--9).

They will actually take any ID number one chooses to use, provided the same number is defined in the [Windownn], ident=nnnn entry.

Suppose I wish to create an entry to open/close this entry:

[Window10]
size_mm=245,190
window_size = 0.6, 0.5
position=3
visible=1
ident=11111
//gauge00=B350Engines!LocalVarsLogger,  0,0,245,190

I have defined this [Window10] to use the ident number 11111, so this would be the command for that number:

<Click>11111 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)</Click>

BTW Karol, the ident= method is the newer method. ^_^

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Unfortunately, that is not completely accurate. The fact that it "sort of works out anyway" is not really relevant. Checking the SDK is a good place to look.

14200 (>K:PANEL_5)

The command "PANEL_5" does one, and only one thing: "Toggles panel 5", in other words [Window04].

The number in red (14200) does nothing at all. It doesn't hurt anything, it is simply ignored.

Bill, I think you and Martin are in agreement: if you use the Panel_X method you don't need an ID number in the gauge (corresponding to the Ident= line for that window in the panel.cfg file).  The window is determined by the Panel_X value for X.  But if you use the PANEL_ID_TOGGLE (or I presume PANEL_ID_OPEN or PANEL_ID_CLOSE) method in the gauge, you do need the number from Ident=.  For Karol's multi-use icon method, you need the Ident numbers for all three windows.

To be perfectly fair though, the SDK is quite wrong in the descriptions for those three commands though when it states that they only affect the indexed panels (1--9).

Yes, I noticed that and it's also true in the FSX SDK. 

Thanks , that's an interesting alternative , I had only known of the old ident method ,

as they say ... you learn something new every day .

I did too!  Regarding the middle click, I only have a two click mouse w/ a track ball - no wheel.  Is there a way for me to get a middle click?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

martinlest2, on 02 May 2015 - 7:23 PM, said:snapback.png

If you don't specify a window, then I agree... as per the example that Mike posted. In that case the ID is crucial, but not in my examples..

'n4gix', on 04 May 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:snapback.png

Unfortunately, that is not completely accurate. The fact that it "sort of works out anyway" is not really relevant.

Hi.. Not sure which bit of that is 'not completely accurate' or (moreover) why the fact that it works is 'not really relevant'. As I said, when you specify a window to toggle, then the ID number has no function. You go on to say the same thing more or less Bill. The fact that it works is the most relevant thing, for me! :P  I could (perhaps 'should') have edited the ID numbers out, for neatness, but in practice, it's the 'same difference', as they say.

So yes, Mike, I think Bill and I are basically in agreement.

Martin

Yes, I noticed that and it's also true in the FSX SDK. 

I did too!  Regarding the middle click, I only have a two click mouse w/ a track ball - no wheel.  Is there a way for me to get a middle click?

Unfortunately, track balls won't press down...

One of the most glaring omissions from the SDK (all of 'em including P3Dv1 and P3Dv2) is mention of the ability to send an indexed variable to the smoke system!

Two conditions must be preset for this to work:

1. at least one engine running
  2. default 'smoke system' enabled

With those two conditions met, then one may toggle on/off up to 98 'smoke channels'. Even better, those channels may be used to trigger any effect .fx file!

So, one could have the first six 'smoke channels' assigned to colored smoke (for an airshow?), and more lights than one could reasonably need...

To turn 'on' smoke channel 11 one does this:

11 (>K:SMOKE_ON)

To turn it 'off' one does this:

11 (>K:SMOKE_OFF)

For example, here is the smoke system for the Milviz T-38A implementing a "progressive smoke trail" tied to the engine's afterburner power from min to max:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.1 =-17.20,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_T38A_ABurner
smoke.2 =-17.20,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_T38A_ABurner
smoke.3 =-18.60,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_T38_BurnerStage1
smoke.4 =-18.60,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_T38_BurnerStage1
smoke.5 =-18.60,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_T38_BurnerStage2
smoke.6 =-18.60,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_T38_BurnerStage2
smoke.7 =-18.60,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_T38_BurnerStage3
smoke.8 =-18.60,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_T38_BurnerStage3
smoke.9 =-18.60,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_T38_BurnerStage4
smoke.10=-18.60,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_T38_BurnerStage4
smoke.11=-16.90,  -0.83,  0.54, MilViz_Fire1
smoke.12=-16.90,   0.83,  0.54,  MilViz_Fire1
Hi.. Not sure which bit of that is 'not completely accurate' or (moreover) why the fact that it works is 'not really relevant'.

I suspect what I should have written was that it is somewhat misleading, because that particular set of commands doesn't require nor take an indexed input constant.

But yes, with that one caveat Martin, we are in agreement.  :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Great. I love threads with a happy ending!! :Applause:

Just as a heads up, there's a nice 'smoke' (actually more of heat/shimmer) effect, (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=36420700), but that goes into the [Lights] section. I have had it installed in almost all my jet a/c since it was uploaded in 2006. (I have a long list of co-ordinates for the aircraft.cfg if anyone is interested).

M.

Hi. In FS9, how can I open panel windows which appear in the panel.cfg file as [window.10] and above? Of course 'Shift+10" is not an option.. I have made a lot of xml gauges to create different icons which I can put in the cockpit to open panel windows as far as no.9 (with different bmp files associated with them, for different functions) but again, anything above no.9 does nothing in practice.

In other words, if my Garmin GPS is window.15 and I cannot shift window numbers around in the panel.cfg file to accommodate it (some payware a/c panels stop working if you do that of course), how to open the GPS window in FS?

Thanks!

Martin

The above is the initial  post of this thread.

Some very interesting stuff above.

But .... the thread starter wanted access to greater than 9 windows.

As far as I am aware there are only 3 methods to do that .

1. In the older style 2D and VC cockpits you could place as many "Hide/Display Icons" as you wanted or could fit in your panel , however you must use

the  'ident'  in the Icon to go over  the 9 window limit that applies to either ,  

- the keyboard approach

or

- the  panel_5 type approach

The newer 3D style cockpits have the panel as a part of the actual aircraft/cockpit model.

We do not have access to the source code that covers those panels , thus it is virtually impossible to modify or customise 

the panel by adding extra Icons.

The following Methods 2 and 3 enable this obstacle to be overcome by hi jacking one or more of the Icons

that exist in the 3D style panel.

Replace an existing Icon with one of your own based on the following,

2. create an  "2 in 1" or "3 in 1"  Icon as shown earlier in this thread , that one icon will give you access to 2 or 3 Windows.

if the panel you are dealing with had 6 Icons , then replacing them with 6 of "3 in 1" Icons gives you access to 18 Windows.

3. another method while not so convenient is to use one of the existing Icons to call up a utility Window.

The utility Window would have a BITMAP that might have for example 35 Icons on it's surface.

That gives you access in that example to 35 Windows.

The utility Window can be either,

=> 35 Icons to call the 35 Windows

or,

=> 35 On/Off instrument switches that would populate the current Window with instruments that you desire. This is

similar to "MiniPanel" created by Bill McCellan.

So there are some options available.

Cheers

Karol

Never mind.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69