Sign in to follow this  
tatfsn

MU-2 TAXI DIFFICULTY

Hi all--

I bought the MU-2 just after its release.   It's a work of art, inside and out.

I've had no problems starting the engines and getting all of the systems up and running.   

I've only had one (big) issue with it so far; I can't for the life of me find the correct power settings for

taxiing the bird.     I've watched the engine start training video several times to ensure that there was

not some step I missed, or some setting that I have wrong, but cannot figure it out.

Every time I've fired it up and have tried to get it moving, it has taken a minimum of 40% torque to

get it in motion.     That in and of itself would not seem a problem, but once the plane starts moving

it accelerates at an alarming rate; within seconds it's moving at 25 knots and would likely exceed

40-50 knots or more if not for the fact that I've stood on the brakes. :huh:    I've ensured that the

condition levers are set at taxi, and no more.

Numerous attempts have yielded the same result.   Throttling back from 40% torque, even a bit,

causes the plane to decelerate, and then stop; even with 35% torque it's as if it is glued to the

pavement; it won't budge.   There's a perhaps 2-3% window of power between it hurtling forward

and not having sufficient power to continue in motion.      I've had some luck with carefully

tweaking the power between 35-40%, causing the plane to burst forward, and then slow to a crawl

as I throttle back.   As it eases to a stop an even slight increase in the power, to about 38-40% causes 

the abrupt, whiplash inducing acceleration, that I have to arrest by reducing power immediately or standing

on the brakes again.    As you can imagine, it's all but impossible to turn without running off

pavement or scraping a wing tank when trying to taxi that way. :angry:

I noted from Joe's training videos that he's achieved very reasonable taxi speed with barely more than

15-20% torque.    I thought that it might be that my plane was overloaded, but its gross weight is just

over 10,000 pounds.

There has to be something I'm missing; can anyone offer a suggestion?

Turboprops are literally jet engines driving props and so teh y end to behave similar. To get the plane mooving one need to provide enough power to overcome resistance, scientific fact, ans most planes require a little extra power on initial taxi, problem with turboprops is it need s to be done slowly, the engines tend to lag behind the throttle to throttling up too fast will cause the engine to surge, this isnt the only plane that does it I have seing more dificult ones. You will eventually work out when to bak off power, it is a balancing act.

Go to Flysimware's Facebook page and look at David Barnett's post April 29, 2015 about Fsuipc, and the dynamicfriction.lau script.  Have tried it and seem to work really well for taxing, takeoffs and landings.

Can someone please give an easy explanation for installing and using this Lua script for FSUIPC.  That part is intimidating to me.

Thanks,

Mike Cameron

Can someone please give an easy explanation for installing and using this Lua script for FSUIPC.  That part is intimidating to me.

Thanks,

Mike Cameron

There should be a zip file in the fsuipc folder labeled example luas, extract to a folder and copy the dynamic friction lua to the fsx modules folder.  Then  copy this entry into the fsuipc.ini (configuration settings)

[Auto]

1=Lua DynamicFriction

Save and run fsx.

the stock settings of the example works well for me

All taken care of Mike?

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

Hello I hate to rehash an old thread however I am having a similar issue as well I have utilized the FSUIPC dynamic friction fix as well as purchasing FSPS frictionaility to see if that solves the problem and unfortunately I am still having the same issue. It seems not to respond to anything less that 30% on the TRQ to establish ground roll however when reducing engine power to around 25-27% TRQ it rolls to a sudden halt in multiple weight configurations. Any help offered would be great. Thanks

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Johnny - sounds like you need to recalibrate your brakes...because with the LUA script working the plane will start to move at idle, which is under 20lbs torque.

...just an idea for you, hope it helps.

Will give that a try shortly hangar, thanks bud! I'll chime back in a bit.

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Quick update, I performed a recalibration of my entire saitek rudder setup for good measure unfortunately still no luck.

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Johnny, I also have the Saitek pedals, but the LUA file works fine here at idle as I said so if you are sure that your brakes are not on then I don't know what could be the issue there (unless maybe you didnt install the lua script correctly for some reason. Also, in the fsx settings you should have a small dead zone set up for your brake axis.

...but if you try v1.3 it says they've fixed the friction now and the LUA is no longer needed (I have not personally tried v1.3 at idle yet however)

A new version is out (1.3). No more problem with taxi. This aircraft is coming perfect. Thank you Flysimware! :smile:

Real Deraps