Sign in to follow this  
Raufvogel

Change of Speed/Altitude in LEGS

How can I learn to set the correct speed and heights in LEGS pls.

Flight from KLAX-25R to KLAS-25R ILS/110.30/258  CRZ ALT FL330

- Is this the right CRZ/ALT, there are mountains on the route!!!
- Where can I find the right /speed/height of a route
- The route is maked in SIMbrief, routing: JEDDD1 SLI DCT FLYES DCT  and placed with CO ROUTE in FMC.
- After ACTIVATE/EXEC and removing one discontinuity i have to check and change speed/altitude

Is there somewhere a video example to learn how to set this, and to solve FMC warnings   :p0504: 

Warning-1.png

Warning-2.png

KLAXKLAS-1.png KLAXKLAS-2.png

KLAXKLAS-3.png

- Is this the right CRZ/ALT, there are mountains on the route!!!

It's fine. The mountains there are only 12,000 at their highest point.

- Where can I find the right /speed/height of a route

Using the correct type of flight planner like PFPX, or SimBrief. Apart from that, you could always learn how to plan a route yourself.

- The route is maked in SIMbrief, routing: JEDDD1 SLI DCT FLYES DCT  and placed with CO ROUTE in FMC.

A better route would've been OSHNN4 DAG KEPEC3.

- After ACTIVATE/EXEC and removing one discontinuity i have to check and change speed/altitude

Why would you change the speed and altitude? This should be automatically calculated based on your VNAV profile, given the data you entered on the PERF INIT page.

Do not remove discontinuities unless you know they should be removed. In your case, I'm guessing you removed a discontinuity after FLYES?

Is there somewhere a video example to learn how to set this, and to solve FMC warnings    

Fly the tutorials.

Kyle Rodgers

It's fine. The mountains there are only 12,000 at their highest point.

Using the correct type of flight planner like PFPX, or SimBrief. Apart from that, you could always learn how to plan a route yourself.

A better route would've been OSHNN4 DAG KEPEC3.

Why would you change the speed and altitude? This should be automatically calculated based on your VNAV profile, given the data you entered on the PERF INIT page.

Do not remove discontinuities unless you know they should be removed. In your case, I'm guessing you removed a discontinuity after FLYES?

Fly the tutorials.

Thank you very much.

That's right, but I have learned to always remove the discos, it can not suffer if you let them down?

ScreenHunter_295May.0117.58.png

but I have learned to always remove the discos, it can not suffer if you let them down?

This is usually because some random simmer said delete them, and that's usually because they think you should have an un-broken magenta line from departure to destination, which is not always true.

Again, do not remove them unless you're sure they shouldn't be there. An example of this would be the CAPITAL8 departure out of IAD with the PALEO fix. If you depart Runway 19L but have the discontinuity removed, you'll fly right through P-56, which is prohibited airspace. I'm sure there are some even better examples where ATC would normally provide vectors where the discontinuity exists, but if you removed the discontinuity, it would put you right into a mountain.

It should say something that, if you Google "remove route discontinuity" (and variations of that) the only sites that pop up are sim sites. (That usually means that it's wrong or not done in the real world  :wink: )

Kyle Rodgers

Flight from KLAX-25R to KLAS-25R ILS
Did you fly this mess or not? If you flew the route, how did it go? What is 3300 for on the MCP. What happened to the SID? It is JEDDI2 now not 1.

Again, do not remove them unless you're sure they shouldn't be there. An example of this would be the CAPITAL8 departure out of IAD with the PALEO fix. If you depart Runway 19L but have the discontinuity removed, you'll fly right through P-56, which is prohibited airspace. I'm sure there are some even better examples where ATC would normally provide vectors where the discontinuity exists, but if you removed the discontinuity, it would put you right into a mountain.

Thank you very much Scandinavian13, it's very importend to know, i wil remember it, but wil always check if the magenta line is un-broken from departure to destination.  :Thinking:

I'm working with FS Commander to find the right SID, STAR or TRANSITION, FSC gives a Flight level of 370, and with SimBrief Flight level 350. 

Did you fly this mess or not? If you flew the route, how did it go? What is 3300 for on the MCP. What happened to the SID? It is JEDDI2 now not 1

I have flown this route, but the arrival was not working, and I had to abort the flight, after input of FL330 there comes a warning, must be FL324  :( 

ScreenHunter_295May.0123.18.png

I have flown this route, but the arrival was not working, and I had to abort the flight, after input of FL330 there comes a warning, must be FL324

One issue is your fuel quantity.  You have nearly a full load.  The aircraft is too heavy to go higher than FL320 -- that's what the message is telling you.  But this is a short flight.  One way to figure out a reasonable amount of fuel is to load and activate the flight plan, and then look at the progress page.  You don't need more than roughly 15,000 KG at your destination, which should give you nearly two hours remaining fuel should you need to divert.  If the Progress page is showing much more than that at the destination (as it certainly will with 145,500 KG), reduce your fuel load until the Progress page is predicting something closer to @ 15,000 KG at the destination.  You also need to enter a cost index to get predictions.

You will also want to use a derated takeoff thrust, as a lightly loaded 777 will go up like a rocket and quite possibly overshoot the first altitude restriction.

As Kyle said, the tutorials would be very helpful on these and many other issues.

Mike

Edit:

Tutorial #1 recommends 15,500 lbs or 7000 kgs using this method. I guess I am a little more conservative!

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thank's to all for the importend lessons, i'm very glad with it.

One way to figure out a reasonable amount of fuel is to load and activate the flight plan, and then look at the progress page.  You don't need more than roughly 15,000 KG at your destination, which should give you nearly two hours remaining fuel should you need to divert.  If the Progress page is showing much more than that at the destination (as it certainly will with 145,500 KG), reduce your fuel load until the Progress page is predicting something closer to @ 15,000 KG at the destination.  You also need to enter a cost index to get predictions.

This for me is a very good lesson, understand this is very good, I'm sure it works here   :holland-flag:

Another reason for keeping discontinuities in your flight plan is to allow ATC approach controllers at busy airports e.g. EGLL, to space aircraft for safety, when many will approach the same runway. In other words, it gives ATC some space for manoeuvre.

HTH

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx