I'm going to buy a new rig. There was a lot of doubt because I'm (still) a huge old-school fs9 lover. I have so much addons on it, I wont leave my first love. The doubt is gone because my old rig wont accept the new game that crushed Simcity 5: Skylines. Another hobby.

The question is about the motherboard but also about the videocard.

There are to cards Im looking at: a gtx960 or a gtx970.

Whats is in your opinion the best card for fs9?

The second question: Im going to buy a i7-4790. Will this one run fs9 smooth enough? (And my fs9 is added with a huge amount of traffic and other addons.)

FS9 is truly a single core program, so the faster the CPU, the better and the I7-4790 runs at 3.6 GHz in normal mode, so I think it should do well.

FS9 does not require a really stout video card, it is a very CPU dependent program, so a GTX960 would be fine, but in Nvidia's numbering system, the middle digit generally indicates the performance level of the card.  Look at your other programs and see how much of a video card they need and you might want to consider the future as well.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if that 3,6 ghz is enough for a heavy fs2004. Are there any other users who use fs9 with a comparable system?

My current system runs at 2,3 ghz and is really suffering at heavy traffic areas like JFK and ORD.

Does a faster CPU do any better at these areas?

i have a i4790 4ghz and I have very heavy AI, mostly with 32 bit textures which take up more resources.

At the  airports you mention using FSDreamteam airports , I can fly a PMDG or other sophisticated addon aircraft, in cloudy weather , and still get 40 fps.

I made the switch from ADM to NVidia last year and am very happy with my gtx 770

Peter Schluter

And that is what I'm looking for. I started to avoid these nice sceneries just because of the terrible framerates I get at these airports because of the traffic. They start to drop to 10-13 fps.

Thanks!