Sign in to follow this  
Pilatus Matt

Just installed Opus - have ASN and EZCA - opinions needed

First off, I just upgraded to P3D v2.5 after a many months break, and so far results have been nothing short of outstanding.

I was compelled to install the Opus FSI mainly to interface with my buttkicker. I have had EZCA for years and it seems to work pretty well in P3D. I use TrackIR on a triple monitor setup, and only fly in VC mode. Rarely do I use external cameras.

I also use ASN for weather, and am fairly happy with it. It does seem to drag the system down, which they will hopefully work out with subsequent updates.

I want comparison opinions on both of these issues. Which is better for VC camera positioning and effects, and which would you prefer for whether injection.

Thanks for any feedback.

For many reasons, ASN for weather, hands down UNLESS you don't really care about the weather and just want pretty cloud cover and some wind.

Never tried the Opus head movement but I did try the EZCA - I prefer just using TrackIR. *I* found the EZCA too cumbersome using it WITH TIR - I did NOT like it using it INSTEAD of TIR.

There are a lot of very satisfied EZCA users around here - perhaps some will chime in for you.

But for accurate winds and weather - nothing comes close to ASN.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Honestly, I wish Opus would split their product into weather/viewer products. If they had OpusView (or whatever!) then it could be a serious contender to EZDOK.

I'm an EZDOK user but there's a couple of issues with it that wind me up at times and the developer seems to come and go as he pleases.

I'd much prefer a camera addon from Opus, I appreciate their involvment in these forums and they seem like a decent bunch. But, I'll stick with ASN for weather (after all, ASN/PMDG)

The OpusFSI trial was a little underwhelming. Weather only updates while on the ground? I would have much prefered the 7 days trial like ASN which eventually led me to buy it as SOON as those 7 days were over.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

For many reasons, ASN for weather, hands down UNLESS you don't really care about the weather and just want pretty cloud cover and some wind.

Never tried the Opus head movement but I did try the EZCA - I prefer just using TrackIR. *I* found the EZCA too cumbersome using it WITH TIR - I did NOT like it using it INSTEAD of TIR.

There are a lot of very satisfied EZCA users around here - perhaps some will chime in for you.

But for accurate winds and weather - nothing comes close to ASN.

Vic

So you never used the Opusfsx/FSD cameras;I presume you have used Opusfsi/fsx for weather, yes?

Chas

The OpusFSI trial was a little underwhelming. Weather only updates while on the ground? I would have much prefered the 7 days trial like ASN which eventually led me to buy it as SOON as those 7 days were over.

Opusfsx/fsx updates dynamically, with presets, and NOW...You didn't RTFM.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

So you never used the Opusfsx/FSD cameras;I presume you have used Opusfsi/fsx for weather, yes?

When I already have the best available, I see no need to trade down.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Opusfsx/fsx updates dynamically, with presets, and NOW...You didn't RTFM.

Chas

Thanks for that 'friendly' reply Chas.

This is from http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsi_getting_started.htm

Note that in Demo mode the Live Weather Engine is restricted to 160km (100 miles) in all directions and weather updating only whilst your aircraft is on the ground. Also World Weather Themes are not accessible in demo mode. Demonstration mode will run for 15 minutes with a minimum 2 minute interval required between runs. 

You might want to "RTF"Website before commenting.  :rolleyes: 

Neil Andrews.

Thanks for that 'friendly' reply Chas.

This is from http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsi_getting_started.htm

You might want to "RTF"Website before commenting. :rolleyes:

My, mistake re the demo...it was meant as an FYI re the capabilities of OpusFsx....and my use of RTFM while, insultingly received, was only intended as a generic term.

So, forgive me if I Mis-stepped in my goal of imparting salient info to you.

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

forgive me if I Mis-stepped in my goal of imparting salient info to you.

You are forgiven.

Neil Andrews.

When I already have the best available, I see no need to trade down.Vic

So if you have not compared, how can your statement "But for accurate winds and weather - nothing comes close to ASN.", be treated as anything more than hear-say and speculation?

Regards,

Chas

So if you have not compared, how can your statement "But for accurate winds and weather - nothing comes close to ASN.", be treated as anything more than hear-say and speculation?

Regards,

Chas

Not getting into a xxxxing contest. You pays yer money, you takes your choice. I stand by my statement - for accurate winds and weather - you can NOT beat ASN. As a long time beta tester for ASN I can not elaborate HOW I know this - but each has a trial period, one should make up their own mind.

Vic

Not getting into a xxxxing contest. You pays yer money, you takes your choice. I stand by my statement - for accurate winds and weather - you can NOT beat ASN. As a long time beta tester for ASN I can not elaborate HOW I know this - but each has a trial period, one should make up their own mind.Vic

Ul21fUZ.jpg

...done here...onward

Regards to all

chas

OP here. FWIW I gave Opus a good run this weekend and wish I had relized there was a demo version. What I have found, is that it quite simply does not play nice with other add-ons and .dll's.

My idea was that I was going to run the software for just the tactile buttkicker feedback, and use ASN and EZDOK for weather and cameras. The way the tactile feedback works is that it uses the same data as the dynamic head movement, so the DHM must be enabled within Opus in order to get the buttkicker to work. This is a problem because I can't have EZDOK and Opus' DHM running at the same time. As a long time EZDOK user, I can easily change my viewpoint, edit dhm's and the rest very easily. Not the case with Opus.

Regarding the tactile feedback itself, it has a long way to go for it to be convincing. I use tactile feedback in racing simulators, and the feeling you get in the seat is much more customizable and dynamic. The feedback in P3D using opus is very simple, and in many ways runs counter to what you would actually feel in the seat. For instance, when you are sitting in a recip prop under low RPM, that is where you will feel the most vibration, and as the RPM increases, the engine vibrations smooth out. The way Opus represents it is a completely linear, low RPM=low vibration, and vibrations increase as RPM increases. It is very weird and doesn't feel right.

I think if I didn't already have ASN and EZCA, Opus would be a worthwhile purchase. We'll see if Flight1 is easy on me when it comes to getting my $50 back.

What a useless degrading comment Vic  :rolleyes: Both ASN and OPUS do an excellent job generating the weather and OPUS is much more than you suggest...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Does opus support historical weather like ASN? that and PMDG integration are the main sticking points for me. The Opus camera system has me interested though.

Like I said, if they offered a separate camera addon to compete with Ezdok, I'd be all over it like bugs on a Carenado plane!

Neil Andrews.

You can disable the weather in Opus, and the dynamic cams etc work fine with ASN. The weather mode in Opus is handy to have as stand by  if ASN is offline for any reason, like a P3D update.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.