You are probably right, my 970 SSC is working overtime and i7-4790k is clocked at 4.8 pushing 1440, at a snooth 30 fps, so 4k is going to need an order of magnitude in graphics tech to ever approach what you can achieve in 1080.

All depends where you put your sliders and what you fly.

With everything to the right I get 20fps with a2a level aircraft. By moving them left a click or so I get 30fps. If I fly the ngx I can only get 20fps though with the same settings. I'm using similar to robs long haul flight settings from his web site by the way.

I fly with asn, ezdoc and orbx global vector and land class or FTX England.

Before you return anything try it with lower sliders.

Chris

so u guys think that the 4k with a gtx 970 will do the job?.....seriously I was freaked out went I saw 15 fps running the 4k with the   780....horrible.....

Yes, you can get 20-30 fps with a 970 depending on sliders, but they don't have to be so low it suffers graphically. See if you can overclock your i7 a bit more too, it is a k series after all.

Chris

Yes, you can get 20-30 fps with a 970 depending on sliders, but they don't have to be so low it suffers graphically. See if you can overclock your i7 a bit more too, it is a k series after all.

Chris

my I7 4790K is currently 4.6...with water cooler and a Asus heroVII ..plus 16 GB memory ram...I dont know what else should I get....but If I install the 970 I wont be able to return it..that what I asking u guys...

thanks for u responses and advises...

I have hear that the 970 really doesn't make that much difference compare the 780.......??????

another question the P3D resolution have to be the same as current monitor resolution?.....????

my sliders are

terrain radius ultra

Tesselation ultra

mesh 5m

texture 15 cm 

scenary compl: very dense

Autogen veg: very dense

autogen buid: normal 

Graphics:

FXAA off

MSAA 4 samples

Anisotropic 16X

testure resolution: 2048x2048

Vsync :off 

target frame: 33

using PMDG 777 KLAX to KSFO FSdream VAS is 2.878 which is really good...so VAS is not a problem...FPS really is....

Just for information.

I run 4 monitors, 3 @ 1920x1080 (6000x1080 with bezel correction) in nvidia surround and one @ 1650x1050 for panel for a total pixel count of 8,212,500 which is very similar to your 4k monitor (8,294,400)

I have a 3570k clocked @ 4.5ghz and a un-clocked gtx 780ti and with most sliders to the right flying the Realair Duke in P3D 2.5 with lots of Orbx scenery I can achieve 30 fps except at major airports. As I don't fly the big iron I have no idea how that would perform.

This is just to show that although a Titan x may be desirable it is not necessary.

Hope this helps

Mick

I run a 4770k(4.2), 780gtx(3gig) with a 27" dell ultrasharp. For me its a well balanced combination. I looked at the 4k monitors (oh, I'd love one of those) but was advised by the tech at my local computer shop who is also a gamer not to go that route, at least yet. When the next real generational change of hardware shows up -not just incremental changes - I will spring for it then. The curved monitors look like they have real potential when they become affordable and they will. That said I still lust after a 4k monitor.

ok lets say I am keeping the 4k....with my current gtx 780...what should be the monitor resolution in windows and what should be the P3D resolution to keep my 25 to 33 FPS???

thanks

All depends where you put your sliders and what you fly.

With everything to the right I get 20fps with a2a level aircraft. By moving them left a click or so I get 30fps. If I fly the ngx I can only get 20fps though with the same settings. I'm using similar to robs long haul flight settings from his web site by the way.
I fly with asn, ezdoc and orbx global vector and land class or FTX England.

Before you return anything try it with lower sliders.

Chris

can u give me Rob web site please?

thanks

The GTX 970 might just be enough to at least run 1440p resolution with relatively high settings, and 4K at reduced settings. It's quite an upgrade from your current card.

I run triples on a 980, with high settings at 60FPS. There is not a huge difference in performance from the 970 to the 980, and I'm pushing almost the number of pixels as a 4K monitor.

You'll find a lot of Titan or bust folks around here. IMO that is overkill in most cases. Yes, it will be able to handle anything you throw at it, but there is room for compromise.

If I were you I'd give that 970 a shot with that new monitor.

The GTX 970 might just be enough to at least run 1440p resolution with relatively high settings, and 4K at reduced settings. It's quite an upgrade from your current card.

I run triples on a 980, with high settings at 60FPS. There is not a huge difference in performance from the 970 to the 980, and I'm pushing almost the number of pixels as a 4K monitor.

You'll find a lot of Titan or bust folks around here. IMO that is overkill in most cases. Yes, it will be able to handle anything you throw at it, but there is room for compromise.

If I were you I'd give that 970 a shot with that new monitor.

too late i returned 970...I am keeping the 4k...until decide what to do or what to get from nvidia.....

thanks

Fair enough. The 970 is definitely the best bang for your buck right now. Not sure what the release schedule is for the next generation of cards, but for me it's either a 970 now or wait until the next gen cards and price drops.

I have a 39" 4k and when I purchased it I had a 780, the result was same as you. I dropped down to 2560 x 1600 to get the best I could get around 20fps. I decided then I would get a Titan and I found a used one that was clean and priced right. I installed it and I am back to 30+ fps and it looks fantastic. I kept the 780 in the box and I run a second 32" monitor for gauges and GPS and what not on it.

Nick Sciortino

The 970 works well in 4k on my other p3d PC (3960x) ... Surprised me. But at KSFO or KLAX with those settings and add-one you listed I doubt my Titan X PC could sustain a solid 30 fps.

$400 for a 4k monitor, wow that's cheap ... How's the image quality and supported Hz?

Cheers, Rob

Hi guys, I am running a 4K monitor on 2 x GTX970's.......I am getting 50 FPS with complex planes like the superbug, , REX clouds at 4096 and auotgen trees over my photoscenery. P£D takes a lot of playing with to find settings that work best for you, i did nothing but tweak for about 4 weeks to get mine running right.........I would persevere with the monitor, its awesome for me......

400 bucks for a 4k monitor, i would guess its only 30hz, i am running my 55 inch 4k tv at 60hz with a gtx 970 and able to keep 30fps in the pmdg 777 on the ground and 50 in the air.i stay away from klax and high demanding airports and have traffic off with ssa off as well, i couldn't go back to 1080p now,its all forward from here.my system is a 4790k at 4.6 ghz with 24 gb of ddr3  2133 and have a 5820 and 2800 mhz ddr4 on order, for x-plane because i do some video rendering and some games support more cores.