Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Question about Orbx Airports

Seeing as there is a great sale on Orbx airports, there are a couple I would like to get like Palm Springs and Juneau. I notice it says as Flightsimstore that you "must" have the regional areas installed to use these. Is this really the case? Being as I am a RW private pilot I rarely ever fly low and slow in FSX... I am all jets. If I had to buy these packs just to use a couple of airports it would be sort of a deal breaker. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

There is no region for Palm Springs, so I guess it blows that "must" out of the water?

Certainly the airports will look better with a regional package,but will function stand alone as well.

Thanks! I guess I will take the plunge then.

If you read the product description for Palm Springs it says it's more or less a stand alone product and a region is not necessary, but it's designed for use with Orbx Global. However, it will also work with stock , GEX or MegaScenery Earth.

As for other airports that are designed for use with the region packs, I have Jackson Hole and the Lake Tahoe airport installed without the corresponding regions and they work fine.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, your reponses are much appreciated! It seems we have a full month to take advantage of the sale so there is no telling how much pain my wallet will have to withstand!

There is no region for Palm Springs, so I guess it blows that "must" out of the water?

Certainly the airports will look better with a regional package,but will function stand alone as well.

I've just bought Pam Springs and it states that ORBX Global Base is required for it to work. I've also bought Monterey, and discovered that for that to work I need NA Gold Northern California. That would explain why earlier on when flying out of Monterey the Majestic Q8-400 just fell off the runway into a deep chasm. So, I've had to get that today. Luckily it is still on sale.

I have all of the Orbx Regions except Norway. Therefore, I don't know how Orbx airports designed for Regions perform without them.

However, I don't have Orbx Global. I do have a number of Orbx payware and freeware airports which are described as "must have Global". I have not been able to discern any problem with them being installed over my FSX Default scenery. Perhaps, those more sophiscated than me when it comes to flight simming might be able to detect something but I can't and I have beern satisfied with the outcome.

Gary

I've just bought Pam Springs and it states that ORBX Global Base is required for it to work.

Their stance is a little misleading on that. Global is not required for it to work, rather it's designed to blend with Global textures. So if you use it with MegaScenery Earth or GEX there maybe some differences in the colors at the edges of the scenery. Jarred himself has confirmed that in their forum as some people are using It layered on top of MegaScenery Earth. Of course they say Global is required is because they want you to buy it as well, but it works without it as well.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/86649-the-desert-oasis-introducing-palm-springs-international-airport/page-2

As far as their other airports that are designed to be used in their regions, the ones I mention prior work fine without having the appropriate regions installed. In the case of Monterey, since I don't have it I can't say how well it work. But if your handy with some of the freeware design tools and check for duplicate AFCADS and vector data from UTX or Vector, you can probably solve the "cliff" issue without buying the region pack.

A "cliff" problem can also work the other way ie against Global users.

One of the Global payware products CNK4 Parry Sound brought complaints from Global users about a cliff at the end of the runway and which had sought to be hidden by trees.

However, my installation over FSX Default scenery did not show a cliff and I experienced no problem in that regard - see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/92664-cnk4-mesh-cliff/#entry847119

Gary

A "cliff" problem can also work the other way ie against Global users.

One of the Global payware products CNK4 Parry Sound brought complaints from Global users about a cliff at the end of the runway and which had sought to be hidden by trees.

However, my installation over FSX Default scenery did not show a cliff and I experienced no problem in that regard - see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/92664-cnk4-mesh-cliff/#entry847119

Gary

One of the big reasons for cliff problems and anomalies with airports come from the use of different vector products, multiple AFCADs and .cvx files. Some of the vector products include airport elevation fixes, add that to users of MyTraffic which installs AFCADs, then people install payware airports over the top of all this. Without using the AFCAD scanner from Scruffy Duck, it's possible you could have three sets of AFCADs installed for one airport and end up with a slew of elevation problem and other anomalies.

Anytime I install a new airport I always run the scanner to see what it turns up. In the past prior to running the scanner I'd have instances where I would routinely find 2 to 3 sets of AFCADs for one airport. Some would be from MegaScenery product, then another one from UTX, and another one from an ORBX region. This happened a lot in the ORBX PNW area and caused all types of elevation problems with airports.

I've just bought Pam Springs and it states that ORBX Global Base is required for it to work.

Negative this was the first airport where they did not require a region same goes for Sedona which I have my eye on after I get a working Hawker - Sedona to Palm Springs would be a nice flight

Rich Sennett

Negative this was the first airport where they did not require a region same goes for Sedona which I have my ey on after I get a working Hawker - Sedona to Palm Springs would be a nice flight

Yes it would be a nice flight, am looking real hard at Sedona myself.

Sedona is a must. Amazing scenery.

Palm Springs to Sedona in the turbine duke is incredible.

Hirdy

I did CYVR to Palm Springs on the Air Canada Rouge 319 new route. 

The approach in PSP is epic.

14ppkc-6.png