Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

A whole new (virtual) world in 2015...

Well, with the may sale of almost all ORBX products, this is the perfect time to jump in to start building my library of scenery addons that I started with the purchase of REX4 and ASN when they were on sale last month.

So with the relatively recent release of the 2.0/2.1 UTX products, I guess it's time for another round of "which is better"...

The search results I find are not really accurate/fair as they seem to be pretty old, and don't compare against the latest UTX.

So I guess I start with the following premises, and keep in mind this post is for "layered" scenery, and does not include photo scenery products like MSE.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

1 - ORBX regions are currently the most detailed type of scenery you can get

2 - Next in quality would be a combo of (FTX Global OR GEX ) + (FTX Vector&Landclass OR UTX)

3 - It is arguable/subjective/personal taste if UTX 2.0/2.1 or Vector+LC is the better choice (it does seem fact though, that the UTX v2 data is more accurate, which makes sense considering it just came out while the ORBX stuf is about 2 years old.

4 - These products are all nice and all but it seems it's all for the US and Europe (and Oceania for ORBX regions) while the rest of the world is SOL... (I know FTXG and Vector are global, but talking about the whole experience, all layers).

So having said all the above.. Trying to find the smartest choice to change my (virtual) world... :)

- FTX Global seems like a no-brainer. Whole world coverage, works toward the next layers in the pack and seems very good, so not really any doubts here.

- For Europe: comes down to vector + LC or UTX Europe v2.... Seen some good thing about UTX, while on the other hand vector would give me the rest of the world but just it for that and no other product...

- For US: if you want something TODAY, For the whole thing and all layers. UTX v2.1 is the only choice. Sure, ORBX will release the NA LC "soon"... But that "soon" has been going on for years... Not keen on waiting that long, specially when they said they would have the whole set of LC in "one or two years" about 2/3 years ago, and so far they released ONE...

- For the rest of the world: you're pretty much screwed... Vector is the only global product you have, and no LC... No regions either except for Oceania.

- Regarding Regions: several in the US but a large part is of course without them. Same for Europe, one says why waste money on utx/vector/LC when the regions are better and there are many? But still so much stuff missing (Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, etc., etc., etc.)

So decision time.. What to get? Here is my tentative list as to what I would get today:

- ORBX FTX Global

- UTX Europe v2.0

- UTX Usa v2.1

-Maybe: Vector to have at least -something- for the rest of the world. Is it even adequatly done? I notice not too much care is given to anything not US or Europe... Could be now to take advantage of the 37% off sale, or leave it for later down the road...

- As many regions as I can afford during the sale :). For this one thinks: well if I get the regions why get the Europe products (utx or vector+LC) but again you don't have regions for the whole continent, so...

What do you guys think? Anyone starting out like me with the scenery addons, or do you all pretty much have your stuff already..?

FTX OpenLC Europe is a must for me, especially here in Italy where i can finally see all the red roofs :D

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

FTX OpenLC Europe is a must for me, especially here in Italy where i can finally see all the red roofs :D

Ha! :)

Well, have you tried. UTX Europe 2.0?

FTX Global with UTX (all of them) for me. Orbx UK (since it is my home stomping ground), but no others, and XClass landclass for Africa and Asia. I'm debating whether or not to buy FTX Global Vector, but do I want better roads and coastlines away from the UTX regions, at the expense of airport elevation headaches?? Not sure yet.

Look: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/

Try FTX Global + FTX Vector + FreemeshX

I'd wait a couple of days and see reviews of FreemeshX. FTX sales ends 31th May

Sorry, while I didn't even list it, I should have mentioned that I have no need for mesh, since I already have the whole set of FS Global Ultimate...

Also in your combo, you're missing landclass.

FTX Global with UTX (all of them) for me. Orbx UK (since it is my home stomping ground), but no others, and XClass landclass for Africa and Asia. I'm debating whether or not to buy FTX Global Vector, but do I want better roads and coastlines away from the UTX regions, at the expense of airport elevation headaches?? Not sure yet.

Well the problem is that "all of them" is just those two... Well and Canada which is outdated (but might get a makeover). Then for the rest of the world they don't have nada...

do I want better roads and coastlines away from the UTX regions, at the expense of airport elevation headaches??

i'm absolutely mystified at this strange and persistent rumor, it's been mentioned several times this last week. those 'headaches' mainly consist of folks forgetting to run the installation tool that comes with it. takes a couple mouseclicks and done. maybe orbx needs a more proactive PR team or something!

cheers

-andy crosby

i'm absolutely mystified at this strange and persistent rumor, it's been mentioned several times this last week. those 'headaches' mainly consist of folks forgetting to run the installation tool that comes with it. takes a couple mouseclicks and done. maybe orbx needs a more proactive PR team or something!

cheers

-andy crosby

Like everything, this is only partly true...

Yes most headaches go away excluding the airports, I've tested that, but it is also true that is you have a very good resolution mesh, there can be elevation problems that vector cannot cope with... This is stated in ORBX's own documentation, which I agree, EVERYONE should read... :)

i own alot of the orbx products, i will be grabbing some more even if i don't use it to support the developer

It's not strictly as simple as that - the "headaches" come from considerations such as having to run that tool (which takes 10 minutes per time, at my end) each time you add or remove scenery, or even activate or deactivate scenery in the library (this is not my opinion, Orbx state this requirement.

Orbx Vector is a pain to live with, configuration-wise, but I say that as a confirmed user of it - I wouldn't be without it, even with the headaches.

You need the base ORBX FTX Global textures for sure as they are far better than the default textures.

UTX is great for vector data and urban landclass primarily, although it does include some polygon type landclass areas for cemeteries, docks, parks, etc.  UTX USA v2.1 includes vegetative landclass as well but I'm not sure how accurate it is.  I've used all the UTX products in the past and they are very high quality.

Right now I'm using FTX Vector which so far I'm pretty happy with. While I doubt it's quite as accurate and detailed as the UTX stuff, it covers the entire globe and it is constantly being improved, so one day it will be on par with UTX, I believe.

The ORBX openLC Europe product is simply fantastic. It not only provides accurate landclass, but also includes custom textures for the different parts of Europe so that, for example, agricultural crop textures in Eastern Europe are different than the ones in Western Europe. In the latest update they've even gone so far as to include hundreds of polygon forest areas and made new urban autogen for southern Europe making the scenery even more true-to-life.

I can't wait for openLC North America to be released. I've been waiting for flight simulator scenery like this since FS98 came out and I realized what might be possible for simulator scenery in the future.  Well, that future is here and it's pretty exciting.

It would be nice if someone from ORBX would provide a status update for openLC North America and let everyone know if it will be released this Summer.  Some screenshots would be nice as well.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

It's not strictly as simple as that - the "headaches" come from considerations such as having to run that tool (which takes 10 minutes per time, at my end) each time you add or remove scenery, or even activate or deactivate scenery in the library (this is not my opinion, Orbx state this requirement.

Orbx Vector is a pain to live with, configuration-wise, but I say that as a confirmed user of it - I wouldn't be without it, even with the headaches.

thanks for the explanation. i only occasionally add scenery so i guess i never really was bothered by it... i have to run the voxatc indexer in those cases too, so i just got used to the process. i let it run in the background while i am doing my flight planning anyway so i don't really notice it taking extra time. i could see how if someone was editing their layers frequently it might be considered more of a hassle.

cheers

-andy crosby

It would be nice if someone from ORBX would provide a status update for openLC North America and let everyone know if it will be released this Summer. Some screenshots would be nice as well.

Yes, this would be nice. I would love to see some kind of news on openLC NA and a few screenshots would be great. It has been a long time coming....

Ken

thanks for the explanation. i only occasionally add scenery so i guess i never really was bothered by it... i have to run the voxatc indexer in those cases too, so i just got used to the process. i let it run in the background while i am doing my flight planning anyway so i don't really notice it taking extra time. i could see how if someone was editing their layers frequently it might be considered more of a hassle.

cheers

-andy crosby

Cheers Andy.   Yes, I run the VoxATC indexer too! :smile: ..... it seems our hobby has become like a mobile phone operating system;  more updates than usage!  :lol:

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered, but can someone shed some light on the whole Orbx global base, vector, and open land class packs? Forgive my stupidity, but I am slightly confused on these packs and what they do. I currently run FSX with GEX + UTX for USA and EUROPE. With this big May sale I am thinking of going the Orbx route but not sure what to get and what to retain or still use as a compliment to the Orbx stuff. Let me also mention I am primarily a jet flyer so no low and slow. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot