Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

Looks like a great product. Perhaps an alternative to torrent d/l would be nice.

Vic

Working on an alternative. I have a pro account for MediaFire, but it won't let me upload these last two files. I may have to host them on Mega.

I have FS Global 2010 installed.  What is the difference in LOD between that install and this ?

FS Global 2010 has a lower base mesh -- LOD9 for the most of the world. This uses LOD10 instead. FS Global 2010 does use higher LOD intermediate meshes for popular areas such as Hawaii, Alps, etc.

Daniel and David, now that you have finished this and already are bored and have nothing to do, maybe you could make a good global bathymetry mesh for P3D (completing the world's first REAL global mesh for FS ...)? :P

(Seeding 4 of 7 parts by now, rest still downloading ...).

Oh, a question:

Would there be any drawbacks to just dumping everything together in one scenery folder and add that to the FS scenery, as opposed to keeping the current folder structure and add 7 entries?

No drawbacks. It's plug and play honestly.

So, I decided to make some screenshots. I had planned to do a full on side-by-side comparison with the default mesh, but that got a bit old fast! I installed Europe and Australia and visited various locations and took a quick screenshot. The only old/new comparison is of the Matterhorn, the rest of these are all FreeMesh X....

As for FPS, I didn't notice a hit I haven't had time to test out VAS stuff yet.

Cool shots Ebs! The Matterhorn isn't best resolved in SRTM data, but at least it's better than stock. A future expansion will help make the Alps better overall.

Working on an alternative. I have a pro account for MediaFire, but it won't let me upload these last two files. I may have to host them on Mega.

Hello, Featured your creation on my site (v-aviation.net) 

I may be able to help with hosting them as direct download via my server.

Drop me an email to my site account if you like and I'll see if I can help (voltagefuzi0n@gmail.com)

Conventional HTTP links for those who can't torrent -- Requires 7-ZIP -- 4.38 GB max size per link

Always extract the .001 or .7z file. The rest of the parts will automatically extract afterwards into one folder. Preference is torrenting, so please torrent if you can!

Africa (2 Parts)

Antarctica (1 Part)

Asia (4 Parts)

Australia and Oceania (1 Part)

Europe (1 Part)

North America (2 Parts)

South America (2 Parts)

Hello, Featured your creation on my site (v-aviation.net) 

I may be able to help with hosting them as direct download via my server.

Drop me an email to my site account if you like and I'll see if I can help (voltagefuzi0n@gmail.com)

Wow thanks! That's so cool!

Nice to see my measly 10 Mbits upstream bandwidth getting well excercised for once, lots of downloads going on, really good! Will keep seeding for the next couple of days, if there's still demand on the torrents.

When I copied everything into one scenery folder, I found 3 cases of duplicate files.

Sadly I didn't note the names. In two of the cases cases the files were clearly identical, in the third case (discovered while copying the Asia mesh) one file was bigger than the other (the one not from Asia was bigger).

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Nice to see my measly 10 Mbits upstream bandwidth getting well excercised for once, lots of downloads going on, really good! Will keep seeding for the next couple of days, if there's still demand on the torrents.

When I copied everything into one scenery folder, I found 3 cases of duplicate files.

Sadly I didn't note the names. In two of the cases cases the files were clearly identical, in the third case (discovered while copying the Asia mesh) one file was bigger than the other (the one not from Asia was bigger).

Hm, I'm bound to have made a mistake somewhere. I'm trying to find the duplicate now.

On a side note, I wish AVSIM didn't have a policy of removing the edit function for original posts, so I could make updates to the announcement.

This is incredibly good, of course especially in all the areas where the stock FSX mesh is of poor quality.

Kudos for releasing this like it should be done, as a finished global product, you guys rock.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Hope this solve your problem

Thank you.

This is actually what I have been doing but clicking the white box does not, for some reason, clear the folder so I have to cancel it. However, then clicking OK within FSX does now re-build the database....so I am assuming all is well.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

Thank you for this excellent contribution.  I'll make sure to keep seeding for others to get.  

What second is the middle east a part of? Is it included in the asia or is it split between asia/africa/europe?

What second is the middle east a part of? Is it included in the asia or is it split between asia/africa/europe?

Let's see.

Europe contains parts of northern Turkey.

Africa contains some parts that share the Red Sea.

Asia really contains the bulk of the Middle East.

So if you had to choose one, I would go with the Asia package to get most of the Middle East.

Let's see.

Thanks so much for helping out the community - great job - question fsgenesis is pretty much LOD10 all ready I probably wouldn't notice any difference correct ? - I have their latest highest LOD products - thank you

Does North America cover Canada ? Alaska ?

Rich Sennett

Thanks so much for helping out the community - great job - question fsgenesis is pretty much LOD10 all ready I probably wouldn't notice any difference correct ? - I have their latest highest LOD products - thank you

Does North America cover Canada ? Alaska ?

Thanks Richard. Um, I'm not really familiar with FS Genesis products all that much except for their global mesh which is LOD9. They do have a lot of regional meshes that are higher LOD, so yes, you wouldn't see improvement with this LOD10 mesh.

North America covers Canada and Greenland, and I think parts of Alaska if I can remember (it's been a month or two). Stock FSX/P3D mesh is already LOD10 for all of the USA, so a future expansion will be a LOD11 USA product with perhaps some LOD12 dabbled in. Or maybe all LOD12. IDK. It could get pretty damn big if its LOD12.

Let's see.

Europe contains parts of northern Turkey.

Africa contains some parts that share the Red Sea.

Asia really contains the bulk of the Middle East.

So if you had to choose one, I would go with the Asia package to get most of the Middle East.

Fantastic, going to get all but testing one out first!