Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

I'll look into it! Thanks! I haven't encountered an error where the archives unpack successfully with errors, but perhaps the newest versions of 7-ZIP are error-tolerant.

Hi Daniel,

While strolling around that area (at least I think I did) I wasn't able to spot obvious errors. The reason might be that the defective (?) file wasn't loaded and my FS Genesis mesh covers the respective area sufficiently.

Regards,
Axel

Hi Daniel,

While strolling around that area (at least I think I did) I wasn't able to spot obvious errors. The reason might be that the defective (?) file wasn't loaded and my FS Genesis mesh covers the respective area sufficiently.

Interesting!

For a temporary fix, you could download the Asia .torrent file, and just select that particular .bgl to download instead of the whole nine yards (13 GB).

I may have messed it up! Thanks for the heads up. We'll take a look and fix it.

Thank you for the quick response :) Let me know how it goes!

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Daniel,

As I looked a bit closer to some Pacific Islands at French Polynesia I found out a glitch (I think even two) on both sides of the crest in the vicinity of NTMU.

Regards,
Axel

Daniel,

As I looked a bit closer to some Pacific Islands at French Polynesia I found out a glitch (I think even two) on both sides of the crest in the vicinity of NTMU.

Could be! Are you referencing those two little peaks on both sides? Those might be erroneous data points.

Aviator, i noticed i get a flat Montecristo Island in the mediterranean, off the coast of Tuscany in Italy. Does it happen to you too?

http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?language=it&pagename=Isola_di_Montecristo&params=42_20_N_10_19_E_type:isle

Well, we took a look and Montecristo looks fine to us. However, there were some problems with the Italy region in the 1.0 release that we patched up in 1.01. Do you have this patch installed?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469369-freemeshx-patches/

23qvPJ0.png

Yes, i got all the patches installed.

I actually think it wasn't flat before. I have no idea what made it flat tho, will have to deactivate/activate some stuff then. Thank you!

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Great generosity and sterling community effort (which reminds me somewhat of the caring-sharing X-Plane community), so well done guys.

Does anyone know what impact the different levels of mesh detail have on VAS?

Thx.

Hi,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for creating this wonderful mesh, and for making it available to all of us for free. Truly amazing work.

Having used FS Global Ultimate (which is about 105GB of mesh data) for a while now, I gave this mesh a try because I was fed up with the extreme loading times which FSGU created (>10 minutes). I did some direct comparisons between the two meshes and amazingly, found that the differences are negligible, despite the higher resolution of FSGU. In fact, FreemeshX looks just as good, or even slightly better than FSGU in some areas!

But the real show-stopper is that while FSGU has quite a few terrain anomalies (such as huge ridges where there should be none) and pronounced plateau effects at airports, FreemeshX does not have these problems, or at least to a lesser degree.

Needless to say, FSGU has been deleted from my harddrive and won't return any time soon.

I can't contribute much to the project apart from seeding the files, so once again, thank you!

Cheers,

Steve

Daniel,

Could be! Are you referencing those two little peaks on both sides? Those might be erroneous data points.

Yes, those peaks don't exist in my FS Genesis and they are looking very much like singularities.

Regards,
Axel

Great generosity and sterling community effort (which reminds me somewhat of the caring-sharing X-Plane community), so well done guys.

Does anyone know what impact the different levels of mesh detail have on VAS?

Thx.

Thank you! It shouldn't affect VAS all that much. The LOD is the same as the stock USA, so you should be seeing comparable memory usage.

Hi,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for creating this wonderful mesh, and for making it available to all of us for free. Truly amazing work.

Having used FS Global Ultimate (which is about 105GB of mesh data) for a while now, I gave this mesh a try because I was fed up with the extreme loading times which FSGU created (>10 minutes). I did some direct comparisons between the two meshes and amazingly, found that the differences are negligible, despite the higher resolution of FSGU. In fact, FreemeshX looks just as good, or even slightly better than FSGU in some areas!

But the real show-stopper is that while FSGU has quite a few terrain anomalies (such as huge ridges where there should be none) and pronounced plateau effects at airports, FreemeshX does not have these problems, or at least to a lesser degree.

Needless to say, FSGU has been deleted from my harddrive and won't return any time soon.

I can't contribute much to the project apart from seeding the files, so once again, thank you!

Cheers,

Steve

Really, wow, I didn't expect FreeMeshX to compare so favorably to FSGU.  I'm glad you like FMX, and we're working to improve it in the ways that we can. We do appreciate the seeding! Things have calmed down since the first week where tens of terabytes was being exchanged, but we are still grateful for the healthy seeding that has been occurring. It has not gone unnoticed!

Yes, those peaks don't exist in my FS Genesis and they are looking very much like singularities.

Alrighty, we'll be correcting it in the next patch. Should be easy fixes.

Just tried South America Mesh. Looking amazingly good, even with plateaus !  :smile:

Thanks for the effort and keep the good work !

Jordi Vidal

Really, wow, I didn't expect FreeMeshX to compare so favorably to FSGU.

It does indeed... Here are two screenshots, the first one showing FMX and the second one FSGU. If you open both pictures in new browser tabs you can quickly switch between them to compare.

This is somewhere in central Italy, a little to the east of Rome I think. Mesh resolution was set to 5m in the sim (since FSGU is advertised as having 5m resolution in Europe).

When comparing them directly it is apparent that FSGU has a little more detail - the hills and mountains have a little more "definition". But as soon as you're moving about it becomes just about impossible to spot the difference. But then again, I was flying at a breakneck speed of nearly 95 knots in my AN-2... :P

FMX:

iv7bqJu.jpg

FSGU:

6KndSw4.jpg

Thanks for a great free product! It's better in Poland than global europe in terms of bugs however I found a bug south of Tatra mountains. See pic with coordinates:

2015_7_24_20_24_5_173.jpg

Thanks for a great free product! It's better in Poland than global europe in terms of bugs however I found a bug south of Tatra mountains. See pic with coordinates:

2015_7_24_20_24_5_173.jpg

Thanks! Can't seem to access the screenshot zakopiec.

That's weird as I see it posted and I can open link form your post... it is N49 6.01 E20 0.6 a huge ditch on N-S direction.