Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Aircraft yaws to the left.. Fixable?

Hi. I have a 3rd. part Cessna 150L which always want to turn off to the left, both when taxiing and in flight. There was no Rudder trim in the panel I was using, so I have added one, but it's not a fix. Not even much of a solution if it comes to that, as trimming the rudder to the right doesn't seem to be effective for very long. And it's so easy to overtrim and get the opposite problem!

Are there values in the aircraft.cfg file that I can change to correct this, or is it stuck, in the model, somehow? I have looked at likely options in AircraftContainerSDKFS2004.doc, but nothing jumps out at me as being the way to go..

If it's correctable in the .air file (??), I could do tnat  too, but not sure what to adjust.

Thank you..

Well I have no idea how you could "fix" this, but isn't that the slipstream effect you are talking about?

When I had my first real flight in a Piper Archer II , i was quite busy with holding the plane on centerline. It always wanted to go left off the runway :lol:

Thanks, but no: that's the first thing I eliminated. It veers off left no matter which direction you fly/taxi and also when I set no wind at all.

M.

Look at the engine location in the aircraft.cfg.

I have seen some where the engine is placed off-center as a way to induce the prop torque effect.

Moving the engine to the centerline reduced the effect to a manageable level.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Do you use FSUIPC?

Is your controller malfunctioning?

Jay

I'll have a look at the engine position...

Yes, I have (registered) FSUIPC.  What do you mean by 'controller', my Saitek X52 I assume? It's only this one Cessna that has the problem, other a/c are OK, so the X52 is working as it should I suppose..

Thanks

As far as engine offsets go, I don't know the effect when programming the simulation.  A lot of actual aircraft are designed with an engine offset (to the right, for clockwise turning props from the cockpit), to aid in reducing the left drift tendency. 

Well, I found this:

engine.0 = 6, -0.5, 0.5,

Most values (other a/c) are 0, 0, at the end, so i changed the 0.5s to 0.0. Now the a/c seems to stay on centre.. I haven't had time to test on longer flights, but seems OK! Thanks for the heads up.

Yep! The -0.5 had the engine at a very slight angle to the left to simulate adverse yaw.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I learned something new today, thanks. I'll put that in my bag o' tricks.

Don Nelson

You do realise that real planes do that right? Its due to a thing called P-factor. And having it modeled is a good thing since most planes in fligtsim lack enough of it. My IRL Yak-52s prop spins the opposite direction. Of western aircraft so I have to add left rudder when flying it.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

:unsure:  If the developer saw fit to include those settings are we sure that that is how the aircraft should/would behave? If it is a poorly thought out 'fix' then fine. If it is changed to make the aircraft behave as you/one want it to behave then it's not a simulator you want.

This is NOT a dig at the OP, but a genuine query. Fr. Bill?

(David has posted along these lines as I was typing :smile: )

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi,

You do realise that real planes do that right?

Yes, I do, as I pilot real-world small a/c too.

..having it modeled is a good thing

Well, each to his own., but personally I disagree. In the sim it can just get annoying to have to keep twitching at the yoke all the time. The sim does not behave to P-factor as does a real aircraft, where one compensates smoothly, without really being aware of it. FS9 is not so good, IMHO, at replicating this.

If it is changed to make the aircraft behave as you/one want it to behave then it's not a simulator you want.

Fair point in general, but after 12 years at this, I am pretty sure it is a simulator (or at least FS9 - not quite the same thing) I want, I assure you. (If it isn't, I've wasted thousands of pounds on software and hardware over the years!). :rolleyes:

I don't think we can go too far down that road. FS is one of my great passions in life, but it's a 'simulator' (in the true sense) in name only, or at least, only in part. The fact that you can pause the flight with the 'P' key (never found this in a real-world cockpit), to name just a most obvious, (OK, slightly 'silly' example), shows that MSFS is half game, half simulator and to my way of thinking it doesn't make much sense to pretend otherwise. You never use the 'P' key, or any other of the features MS added for users' convenience, as they're unrealistic? I have some great addon small a/c, which I have flown in real life too. I know that their FS IDEs are only an approximation of the real a/c, but that doesn't make it any less of a pleasure to fly on my PC.

I am interested to read such input and many will agree with you, but I can't really get my head around this 'purist' approach. I like my FS planes to have realistic behaviour and responses, but in this case I am very happy indeed to have controlled some annoying behaviour in one particular aircraft.

But as I say, everyone to their own preference, of course   :P

Which is of course precisely why we strive to provide the information needed for everyone to make their own preferences rule! B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator