Sign in to follow this  
Jude Bradley

i5-2500K => i7 4790K (worth it?)

I agree with  SimonC. If you have heavy overclocked 2xxx or 3xxx i7, new hanswell is no big gain. Tests (not just FSX, but overall testing) says that gain is about 7-10% from Ivy/Sandy Bridge clocket at same freq.

Even 4790k is open for OC, it have same limits as cheaper 4770k (looks like 4790k is factory overclocked 4770k). At air cooling you propably get max 4.7GHz and 4.8 maby 4.9 with water cooling, but in FSX from my experience turbo boost frequency doenst fall from 4.4GHz, so It is no need overclock this beast, stock performance is same as olders i7 overclocked to 4.7-4.8-4.9.

Well,my current clock is 4.2. I did get higher but got all sort of fsx crashes,so dropped back down again (air cooled). 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I agree that upgrading from a significantly overclocked i5 2500k CPU to an i7 4790k will not provide enough of a performance gain to warrant the expense. If my i5 2500k powered PC hadn't failed me last July, I would almost certainly still be using it today. All I would have needed would have been a graphics card upgrade. Whilst the latest CPUs have lots of fancy new tricks, it doesn't translate all that well into raw performance gains with most software.

Once upon a time you could rely on Moore's Law and steady clock frequency increases to virtually guarantee significantly greater performance from newer CPUs, but those days are long gone. Clock frequency has hardly moved in the past five years, and that's a lifetime in this industry.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris, that's exactly what I did. I upgraded from a GTX580 to a GTX970. Much more smooth all around - esp with Track Ir.Happy enough with FSX/Prepar3d at this stage.I was just thinking if the 4790 would have given much more, but it seems that it's not worth the outlay, If however the i5 does go at some stage then this would be the next best thing. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I personally think that the i5 2500k was one of the best processors of all time. If you hear that stock is running out, then it's probably because SkyNet is snapping them up to add to its neural net :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I personally think that the i5 2500k was one of the best processors of all time. If you hear that stock is running out, then it's probably because SkyNet is snapping them up to add to its neural net :wink:

Unlikely. If you already have a large multi-core network you don't care about single core or single socket performance. You certainly don't overclock.

You care a lot more about overall power consumption and feature set - even if single-core performance has gone down (which it certainly has not from Sandy Bridge to Haswell) you just add more cores. If I was running several thousand cores I'd happily take a 5-10% loss in performance if it means a larger decrease in power and heat.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

But of course, it could send the Terminator back in time to buy more stock on amazon :) 

Jude Bradley

I want to upgrade from my 2700K too but there's nothing really worth moving to.

Mo45

While this topic is here, how high has anyone been able to clock that i5-2xxx? I was one of the duds who got a bum i7-2600k and could never get a stable over clock above 4.2ghz. I took a gamble on buying an i7-4790k knowing that I wasn't going to see a huge jump in p3d performance. A month later I'm not regretting it. After a delidding and some fine tuning I have a stable 5.0ghz on lower voltage than the i7-2600k ever ran. And its showing in my Sim setup. P3d2.5, mytraffic6, pro-atc, all A2A GA planes, turbine duke v2, REX textures, asn weather, orbx world etc, paired with gtx970ssc, 16gb 2400gskill, Asus maximus vii hero, 1440p Korean monitor. No stutters, no artifacts, NO TWEAKS besides optimize parts=1, fps unlimited. Frames top out around 90, down to 42 in heavy traffic cities. Point is, you might get lucky and end up with one of those Intel chips that you can push to the limit, which was what they were suppose to be for. If you can get it cheap, that is!