Sign in to follow this  
PJAMES

I have flown the 850 in real life, shed some light here...

I see all the comments, I am planning on buying this "if" it performance is equal to the FPS most get on PMDG NGX, or Ifly 737 BBJ ...those are my main models I like and get to run well on my PC. If it performs like Wilco or Flight 1 anything, than forget it I guess...sadly, until I can get a new PC someday...

anyways, I fly corporate jets for a living, 8 years in the Beechjet, now the mighty Falcon 2000. However, I did fly and got checked out in the Hawker 850 last year, flew it 3 times and was so excited to see this release for FSX ...

I don't know the product obviously but all I can say is that real life bizjet autopilots are all different you know, some easy, some not.. perhaps it's designed well and needs learning, perhaps not... Learning the Citation X by Eaglesoft was a bear, mostly because you can't have custom key commands for some reason, however, the AP flies like it was designed to , as clumsy as Cessna made it.. it is that way. The Hawker 850 autopilot was a little odd I remember because all Hawkers are a hodge podge of WWII design plus modern ages all slapped together in one machine! However, any jet, or plane for that matter, will fly totally different when fully loaded vs lightly loaded...most default FS aircraft come max fuel, max load for some dumb reason. If you're flying this Hawker, on a short flight, "fun" flight, touch and goes, training, whatever, then don't fly it full fuel and pax!! Keep it empty or a couple of pax, and enough fuel for the "mission" no more than that...in real life, we don't usually fly full fuel unless we need it , or we found a remote airstrip with super cheap gas the boss wants to carry home etc etc... full fuel is for non-stop coast to coast. 50% fuel is typical for most 2 hour trips etc.. and will give good climb performance etc...

The Hawker 850 in 0 degree celcius weather at half fuel should climb once cleaned up, after takeoff at 4000 fpm or more for the first minute or two or three! If it's 40 C out, try 1000 to 2000 fpm! Add full fuel, and lucky to see 1500 fpm...add high altitude airports and it would be less....

does that help at all? I hope so, in flying the real Falcon 2000, it is a "dog" in the heat of summer after takeoff (2000 fpm max), but in winter if light...then maybe 4000 to 5000 fpm in a bursting method (get 200 to 250 kts before climbing)....

The old beechjet I used to fly was much more of a rocket... 6000 fpm was typical on cold days at first

same with airliners..... don't fly them full weight ever, unless you're simulating a NY-Toyko mission....

- Peter James

Too bad you don't have this model, Peter. Your inputs would excepionally valuable to test it against the real aircraft.

Learning the Citation X by Eaglesoft was a bear, mostly because you can't have custom key commands for some reason

That is not correct.

The Eaglesoft CX has a key programming section in it's ini file, every button and switch is also programmable through FSuipc mouse macro's

oh okay I didn't know that...hmmm Illl look into the key thinggy...

for above, yes, I'll buy it if folks can tell me if frame rates are on par with other prime quality add-ons

Hello PJames,

I posted very similar remarks about fuel and passenger loads just a day or so ago. I normally use 40% fuel and sometimes 50% if I plan to climb high. I have no problems at all with the performance of the HB850 and friends are taking care of the AP little by little. Many of us like the GTN750 option vs the Carenado FMS. Maybe one day soon, the FMS will be cleaned up along with some of the mostly irritating switch coding or lack of coding.

I have the NGX and the iFly BBJ but haven't flown them for some time now. I have been flying most of the complex twins, pistons and turbines, that were released in the last 2 or 3 years.

Carenado's just released v1.1 of the Hawker 850XP comes with a full LITE version for each livery. A little reading and you will see what they disabled for the LITE version. This was a requested option for those with challenged PC systems.

I was using 31 FPS limited on a new 4790 OC 4.4 with 16 GB RAM and a GeForce 970 w/ 4 GB onboard, triple 24 IN WS monitors. The HB850 and the previous S550 Citation would run with medium weather and traffic just fine with no problems. I like to open 2, 3 and sometimes 4 windows to simulate flying from outside the VC. This could pull the FPS down to 18 - 22 with 4 windows open.

This new LITE version I am running with Unlimited FPS and it bounces around 85 - 110 FPS so they have done something good. Whatever they did, I think it was on the copilot side and the cabin, and maybe lesser texture loads - things that I do not miss so I will probably be flying the LITE version.

Comparing this to the NGX, I would say the LITE edition would be as efficient or maybe more efficient than the NGX with the same weather and traffic.

I am using P3d v2.5.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

for above, yes, I'll buy it if folks can tell me if frame rates are on par with other prime quality add-ons

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the 850. We need professionals like you to help make this Hawker the best it can be.

The airplane performs into major add-on airports no worse than most complex airplanes. FPS are about the same on my system. 

The airplane manually flies really nicely, looks great at night, and the sounds are immersive. I honestly feel that the good trumps the bad, and once we get the avionics and autopilot sorted, Carenado will have a Corporate Jet worthy of recommending.

I hope you come on board and share your expertise.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FPS  here are excellent 60 inside and out but I cant do anything with flight management system nothing works I can only control it by using my trim and throttle levers on my saitek quadrant so I would be really looking forward to whats going on here - thanks Peter

Rich Sennett

A lot of the people you see complaining about the 850 on here are not really the type who would just take it up with the default 100% fuel and load, it's more serious simmers who have been waiting for a high-fidelity biz jet who seem disappointed. I really hope that you get the aircraft and let us know how it is, PJames. I'm not really into business planes (tubeliners and commuter props are my 'thing'), but I've always been interested in the 850. If you give it a decent review, I might have to pick it up. 

Hi Peter,

I remember you from way back when, before you got your first corporate gig.  Good to see you back in the flightsim family.  And thanks for the info.

Take care,

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

thanks, I am "back" kinda, never went anywhere really, been on avsim in the background for years, still an addicted simmer whilst mostly in hotel rooms around the country after flying the real Falcon 2000. I have a great "old" 4 year old laptop, Sager NP9280 (i7 280GTM, 12 gig ram) and it's awesome for most simming.... it really still is a great machine and is portable enough for me...I hope to get a newer one soon, but till then it runs FSX SE (Se now is my fav) quite well...

I'll be getting the 850 then, sometime, it sounds too good to not have, I'll be able to give it a good test....my criteria are the virtual cockpit viewpoints I set up with ezdok, how it looks from a real pilot's eyes and how much viewing space out the front windows you have, cuz in real life, you can see well out of cockpits, but do have to glance far down to look at the PFDs etc...

Sounds are key, anything missing or lacking I'll know right away, haha, sounds are my biggest thing in sims, and I often tweak and fiddle sound sets to my liking....

Flying quality both on and off the autopilot will be important as well..

I have been addicted to Train Simulator and DLC associated with it on Steam. I am ashamed to say I've been spending more dad gum $$ on that passionate hobby now than much of my flightsimming career....it just happens, too much fun and quite realistic with all the tweaks, customizing, and great commercial add-ons that make train simming as fun as flying in my mind.... scenery etc and real sounds fill my love all that stuff.

I'll let you all know when I get the Hawker 850 then. I know Wilco's making a Falcon 7X, but I won't hold my breath too much on it's quality as of yet.....

Peter

Peter

Great Pete cant wait maybe you could pass on a view pointers on how to fly this Bird - nothing really out there to help out right now - thanks

Rich Sennett

I'll be getting the 850 then, sometime, it sounds too good to not have, I'll be able to give it a good test....my criteria are the virtual cockpit viewpoints I set up with ezdok, how it looks from a real pilot's eyes and how much viewing space out the front windows you have, cuz in real life, you can see well out of cockpits, but do have to glance far down to look at the PFDs etc...

Sounds are key, anything missing or lacking I'll know right away, haha, sounds are my biggest thing in sims, and I often tweak and fiddle sound sets to my liking....

Flying quality both on and off the autopilot will be important as well..

/ . . . . . ./

I'll let you all know when I get the Hawker 850 then.

Peter

Peter,

This is very good news for the customers of the Carenado HB850XP. Documentation is so minimal, it is difficult to even know how to Takeoff. Even the most brief tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I just realized I think I have my Hawker 850 Flight Safety manuals somewhere in the attic ! woohoo