Sign in to follow this  
houstonhear

Slow load time for FSX with SSD

I did a search and couldn't find this topic.  If it has already been covered, then please post a link.

I recently added a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500 GB, to my system.  I then installed FSX there.  Everything went well.

I was expecting to see a much faster start up and load time for FSX.  However, it still takes a month of Sundays to get to the main menu.  I was assuming that the reason for the long start up originally was because of loading files from the hard drive into memory.

Is there something else that causes the long delay?  My system specs are in my profile, if that can supply a clue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You've connected it to a SATA III port right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yep, SATA III port.  The drive is very fast in benchmark tests.

No, Bert.  I use Scenery Config to turn off unused areas.  I fly only in the U.S., so the rest of the world is turned off.

I do have a lot of aircraft, and it use to take a while for aircraft selection to pop up.  That was expected.  Now, the aircraft menu pops up quickly, which I attribute to the SSD.

I assumed that I would start FSX and BLAM! -- it would be ready to go.  Really odd.

Thanks for responding, guys.

It takes me about a min to load

Sometimes there's a weird loading bug where the load bar gets stuck in front of other windows I have opened. Then in that case it will take triple the time.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I just put a stopwatch to it and it took exactly 90 seconds.

I have a Logitech G510 keyboard that displays real time CPU activity and RAM usage as percentages.  The interesting thing is that RAM usage only went from 20% to 21% during the entire load process (with 16 GB).  However CPU activity rose and stayed at around 15% during the entire process.  Perhaps the length of start up time is not due to load time of the program, but rather some sort of CPU activity.

90 secs isn't a long time at all

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

@ SAAB340:  Yes, I do use disablepreload in the cfg.

@ Ryan:  My point is that it was taking about 90 seconds on a SATA hard drive, and I see no reduction in load time with the SSD, even though it benchmarks well.  That was why I was wondering if there is some process during launch that takes a lot of time, as opposed to loading.

it still takes a month of Sundays to get to the main menu.

Im confused . Now your saying 90 seconds? Why would you be asking for advice on a 90 second load? Mine can take 7 or 8 mins but I have a TON of scenery..

ZORAN

27 seconds here from clicking on the icon to main menu. You say that you installed FSX on your new SSD, are you still running your operating system on a mechanical drive, if so maybe that has an impact as I don't have any mechanical drives, just SSD !?!

For point of comparison, I have FSX on a regular HD (see my specs), and it takes forever 3+ minutes to get past the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" page. Once I get past that, the simulator runs very smooth.

Well, thanks for the input.  It sounds like I shouldn't be belly aching about a 90 second load time.

But, of course, the original question still remains of why I don't see quicker startup running off of an SSD.

So, PieEater, I am running the OS on a hard drive, so you may be correct.  But, that is why I asked if there are processes going on during startup other than just loading files.

So, PieEater, I am running the OS on a hard drive, so you may be correct.  But, that is why I asked if there are processes going on during startup other than just loading files.

I'm not big on software but from what I understand your operating system is stored and run from the hard disk it is installed on (see here) so performance of your OS and the programs dependent on it will be governed by the imitations of the disk the OS is installed on. You may have better results running your operating system and FSX from your SSD and using your mechanical drives to store data including FSX scenery etc.

Well, I still have 287 GB left on my SSD.

Maybe I can figure out how to transfer Windows 7 to that drive.  I will then have the OS and FSX on the same drive, but maybe that's okay.

Anyone know if there is an easy way for me to do this without screwing up everything?