Sign in to follow this  
houstonhear

Slow load time for FSX with SSD

90 seconds is quite a while for a Samsung SSD. I just did a reinstall of everything on a 250gb SSD, OS and FSX on it and thats it. (UT2 FSDT REX ASN PMDG ORBX FlightBeam) included and the load time is significantly faster. 20 seconds to be on the loading bar if that and we are off.

20 sec - wow

Must be a cpu thing too

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

CPU?  Could be, but check my specs.

Angelo, yes.  What you are getting is what I was expecting to get.  Can't figure it out.

I can't on mobile - that's the downside

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

42 seconds to load to the Free Flight screen. 12 seconds if the sim was already loaded and previously shut down, without turning the computer off. Flight sim is on a hard drive, with Windows 7 professional on a SSD.  I7 3960x, GTX980

Sounds like having OS on SSD would help.  Not sure why, but I think I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the responses.

Sounds like having OS on SSD would help.  Not sure why, but I think I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the responses.

You're going to reinstall your OS without knowing why?

LAdamson pointed out a useful metric. The second load was significantly faster since much of the I/O was coming out of the disk cache, rather than the storage device. If you don't get a significant speedup the second time you start up FSX, moving stuff around between your drives won't help you, since you aren't I/O bound.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Sure, it isn't rocket science to move, not reinstall, the OS to the SSD.  In fact, there is a program that makes it pretty much a no brainer.  A reinstall isn't necessary.

The question for me is why is his load time about half of mine, and his FSX is on a hard drive.  I don't see any specs for his system, but mine is not too shabby, even if not state-of-the-art.  He is running his OS on SSD and FSX on hard drive.  Sounds to me like FSX loads quicker if OS is on an SSD.

My Samsung 850 EVO SSD came with the cable and software to clone the drive, I completed that without issue about a month ago.   I believe there is software out there, freeware and payware that will do it with minimal fuss.  

JH

Yes, mine came with the cloning software, as well.  I am not certain, but I believe that the problem with that software is that the total files on the original drive cannot be larger than the capacity of the receiving drive being cloned.  I have about 1.5 TB on the drive that has the OS.  That won't fit on 500 GB SSD.  So, one button cloning doesn't work.

The software that I mentioned lets you select those files that you want to leave behind on the original drive.  Everything else, including the OS, gets tranferred to the SSD.  You can make it fit.

He is running his OS on SSD and FSX on hard drive.  Sounds to me like FSX loads quicker if OS is on an SSD.

You're confident that his FSX and system is identical to yours in all other respects, including installed aircraft and scenery???

Seriously, do what he said. Start FSX and time the startup. Then shut it down and start it again, timing the second startup. What's the delta between the times? If it's not significant, you're not I/O bound.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'm on Samsung EVO SSD...

At first, move Windows to SSD. If you maintain your system clear, It will boot to desktop up to 5sec (Win7) and mayby up to 3sec for win 8.1. Times measured from time when bios is loaded, from "cold and dark" you have to add few secs for "hw start".

In second. I have SSD dedicated for Win and SSD dedicated for FSX, but for SSD disks "seek time" doesnt exists so share disk with OS is no problem.

My FSX is FSX: Steam edition - I don't own other versions. That FSX loads to menu until +-30 secs. I have FTX Global, Vectors, openLC, few paid and free airports, few photoreal sceneries, few paid aircrafts... Instaled FSX is about 150GBs. So yes. 90 secs is, I think too much. Mayby some DLL or something Backup your fsx.cfg and delete it and try it again, check your exe.xml and dll.xml.

Try delete scenery index data (it is under ProgramData folder, but I can't tell zou exactly which one). If you adding and removing sceneries, removed stays here. After that, next start takes more time to rebuild index, but can help.

What is my "problem" is when i starting flight. From clik "flight now" to cockpit it takes about 80 secs. I try many thinks but I cant make this time shorter unless I remove mostly everything from FSX.

My specs: i7 4790k stock 4.0@4.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, MSI GTX N960 Gaming, 2GB

90 seconds is quite a while for a Samsung SSD. I just did a reinstall of everything on a 250gb SSD, OS and FSX on it and thats it. (UT2 FSDT REX ASN PMDG ORBX FlightBeam) included and the load time is significantly faster. 20 seconds to be on the loading bar if that and we are off.

You're right.  I discovered via helpful users in my thread about "SSD Health" that my stinking 840 evo still had old data read issues.  After a firmware update and re-optimization, the read speeds are back in the 500 mb/s areas.

So I did a quick test just now.  Fresh bootup into Win7.  Let the sit for a sec to get everything up and running.  Double clicked the FSX icon on the desktop to the time it was loaded at my default flight was 53 seconds.  Please note that my default flight has LOD set to 5.5.  That adds a few seconds in my previous experience. 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

You're right.  I discovered via helpful users in my thread about "SSD Health" that my stinking 840 evo still had old data read issues.  After a firmware update and re-optimization, the read speeds are back in the 500 mb/s areas.

So I did a quick test just now.  Fresh bootup into Win7.  Let the sit for a sec to get everything up and running.  Double clicked the FSX icon on the desktop to the time it was loaded at my default flight was 53 seconds.  Please note that my default flight has LOD set to 5.5.  That adds a few seconds in my previous experience. 

Glad you found that out. The OP said he had an 850, if there was any indication that it was the 840 series such as yourself, that would of been my first recommendation that you try an do. Nice job for getting it sorted.

Cheers

Yes, I have done all the things that Ryan did.  Plus, it is a new drive, so not much age on any of the files.