Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Is there a Weather Radar tutorial for the undated NGX?

Hi Everyone:

I successfully updated my 737 NGX tonight, and I know it contains a functioning weather radar.  I am using the latest version of Active Sky Next.  I don't know much about the weather radar.  Heck, I don't even know if there is a button to turn it on and off.  I used to use the weather gauge that came with ASN.

So four questions:

1) How do you actually turn on the new weather radar?  (I ssee there is a WX button on my EFIS, but don;t I also have to press something on the center console too?)

2) Must Active Sky Next be running before hand to get the weather radar to show up on my ND?  Will it run wothout Active Sky Next?

2) Is there an explanation of the weather radar tool in the PMDG manuals - if so, where would I found it?

3) To that end, is there a document that will explain what each of the buttons means (i.e "tilt", "WX", "Auto", etc...)

Thank you all very much!

Sincerely,

Chris Catalano

A quick search of these forums will find you some information.  And, of course, there is the FCOM ("PMDG-NGX-FCOMv2.pdf" is installed on your PC in the /PMDG 737 NGX/Flight Manuals folder).

And, here's a few web pages which should also help to get you started:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a109/weather-radar-troubleshooting.aspx

This one is "Boeing specific" but provides good information nonetheless: https://www.rockwellcollins.com/~/media/Files/Unsecure/Products/Product%20Brochures/Radar%20and%20Surveillance/Weather%20Radar/WXR-2100/MultiScan%20ThreatTrack%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide%20-%20Boeing.aspx

http://www.smartcockpit.com/download.php?path=docs/&file=Collins_WXR-2100_Operators_Guide.pdf

Regards,

Freddy

Morning Chris,

The documents that PMDG provide with the NGX are your best friend for most answers - primarily FCOM2 which explains how each of the systems work in great detail. But here's the areas to look:

1) How do you actually turn on the new weather radar?  (I ssee there is a WX button on my EFIS, but don;t I also have to press something on the center console too?)

FCOM2 Page 10.16.4 EFIS Buttons "WXR (weather radar) – energizes weather radar transmitter and displays weather radar returns in MAP, center MAP, expanded VOR, and expanded APP modes" (Centre console functions control the actual functions such as tilt, etc and the EFIS button is your basic on/off switch)

2) Must Active Sky Next be running before hand to get the weather radar to show up on my ND?  Will it run wothout Active Sky Next?

NGX Introduction Document Page 44 "...requires the Active Sky Next or later weather engine software from HiFi Technologies Inc." It must be running before running for display of weather information to be displayed.

2) Is there an explanation of the weather radar tool in the PMDG manuals - if so, where would I found it?

FCOM2 Page 11.10.32 Talks about the Collins 622 Radar which is similar and will give you a general description on each of basic functions of the radar. If you want something more in depth, the smart cockpit link that Freddy posted above is the user guide from Rockwell Collins specifically for the Collins WXR 2100 radar that is simulated in the NGX. It is very in depth and detailed. Also a search of the forum will return a large number of topics about the radar. The troubleshooting guide Freddy posted as well has some guidance.

3) To that end, is there a document that will explain what each of the buttons means (i.e "tilt", "WX", "Auto", etc...)

See above.

Documents such as the Rockwell Collins User Manual assume a certain level of knowledge. As such reading documents like that will more than likely need to be read in conjunction with other material to assist in understanding. The systems modelled are obviously quite complex but with some research and reading - certainly not out of reach of anyone. 

Hope that answers your questions. 

In AUTO it should do a low beam and a high sweep, combine those sweeps, remove ground echos and then display it. The tilt shown on the ND is actually just a fake for show tilt of a notional tilt angle that would be used by many pilots for short term threat assessment. If i remember it correctly it shows -2° during cruise which is actually lower than most pilots would use in manual (around -1° to 0° during cruise). Remember the beam has an opening angle as well, so a beam set at 0° would actually scan -3° to +3° as the beam is around 6° wide. The software in that radar is very clever indeed and on the 737NG usually shows a very clear picture of the weather ahead.

Vernon Howells

Thank you all.  One last issue for me - I now have it up and running, and the WX tutorials were great!  But for some reason, I used to be able to hit the Terrain button on my EFIS and the map of my surrounding terrain would be drawn in green.  Now for whatever reason, whenever I hit TERR on my EFIS, the screen shown nothing by way of terrain.  It just shows the ND with no weather, as if its a clear day.  It seems that I cannot use Terrain and Weather at the same time on my ND, and furthermore, even without the weather, I still get no terrain to display when I am on the ground.  I used to be able to turn on the Terrain button/display when I was taxiing out to the runway and it used to always draw it correctly.  Now I seem to see nothing.  I even tried  hitting the MAP button on the WX panel down below on the center panel, and I still can't see any terrain draw.  Any ideas?  

Thank you,

Chris Catalano

Correct, it is either WXR or Terrain but never both.  The WXR as simulated does not map ground features.

If you are not in PEAKS mode (a setting in FMS PMDG Options see Intro pg 77) all terrain more than 2000 ft below you will not be shown.  On the ground, you have a terrain test (FCOM 15.10.9) to verify terrain display works otherwise terrain within 400 ft of nearest runway is not going to show (FCOM 15.10.10).

Chris, the documents are helpful. It took me 3 min to find your answers using Ctrl+F find "terrain."

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

I have two questions about WXRadar in NGX:

1. Is the tilt angle in relation to horizontal line or aircraft axis?
2. How to change tilt into manual mode? - set TILT knob on
other value then "0"? ...but when I do that (on cruise), on ND there is always "WXR -2"

Lucas

1.  Usually, it is always with relation to the aircraft axis not horizon because it does not sense the horizon.  However, the wording in the FCOM is ambiguous.

2.  In the B737, to control tilt simply rotate the tilt control on the WXR Panel... see FCOM 11.10.31...; if you are still seeing the WXR-2 even if the knob is set manually then I'm sorry but I'm not much help with radar in the 737. The more I read the more concerned I became that I should've passed.

Dan Downs KCRP

"However, the wording in the FCOM is ambiguous" - Indeed.

Ad 2.

So, why when I rotate the TILT knob, there is always on ND "WXR" and "-2" below while cruising? (I didn't check in other phases of flight like descent or climb)

So, why when I rotate the TILT knob, there is always on ND "WXR" and "-2" below while cruising? (I didn't check in other phases of flight like descent or climb)

You have to kick it out of AUTO mode. There's a button somewhere near the TILT controls that says AUTO. Press it so that it is in the 'out' position, and check to confirm the WXR shows an M after the tilt angle instead of an A.

Kyle Rodgers