Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

ASN introducing major stuttering in P3D 2.5

Only a few must-have tweaks in the CFG (e.g OPTIMIZE_PARTS).

That is definitely not one of them.  Did you read the Optimize_Parts topic.  It started out with yes, a must have and then things went downhill from there.  If it was such a good tweak, do you not think that LM would have enabled the parameter by default?.  They want a smooth operating sim too and right out of the box. 

LOD radius 3.5
NO cloud shadows
All autogen density set to sparse
TML 1024 including REX clouds
Cloud density set to medium within P3D
In ASN, all settings are mostly set to default, except lowered cloud distance

Those settings are awfully low and should not be causing you any problems.  Mine are much, much higher.  There are many guides here in this forum and in the Tips and Tweaks forum that might help you.

I think I will write an AVSIM P3D Configuration Guide based on guidance here in the P3D Forums and those over at LM.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That is definitely not one of them.  Did you read the Optimize_Parts topic.  It started out with yes, a must have and then things went downhill from there.  If it was such a good tweak, do you not think that LM would have enabled the parameter by default?.  They want a smooth operating sim too and right out of the box. 

Those settings are awfully low and should not be causing you any problems.  Mine are much, much higher.  There are many guides here in this forum and in the Tips and Tweaks forum that might help you.

I think I will write an AVSIM P3D Configuration Guide based on guidance here in the P3D Forums and those over at LM.

Best regards,

That would be great, Jim, thanks!

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Hi! Do you use Aivlasoft EFB on your flights? That program (unfortunately, I really like it) caused very serious stuttering for me.

I use it all the time in conjunction with ASN, and have yet to suffer stutters.

I use EFB also with no issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Optimize_Parts topic. It started out with yes

Jim, I followed NickN's tip on this and amended it to =1 but have not had any issue with it.

I've narrowed it down to something else now. When looking at, or flying above/towards a very uniform low-level layer of clouds, stutters and huge drop in FPS occurs. If I close ASN and restart, problem is still there but to a less degree. Maybe I should try FS real weather just for fun.

I don't understand your statement. You say you've narrowed it down to something else yet appears you're still pointing the finger at ASN. I'm confused!? Huge drop in frames associated with clouds isn't an issue with ASN, it's an issue with the clouds. Have you ever changed the following line in your cloud.fx file - GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); to something other than the default value of 0.5? Open the Cloud.fx file in notepad and search for "GetScreenQuadPositions" and tell us what the values are in your file.

I fighted a stuttering issue not long ago and in my case it went away when I stopped using EFB. As someone else said I too like the application a lot but must say how smooth my simulator got after I stopped using EFB I have never seen before.

Still though I'm not sure if it's 100% fair to blame EFB, it might also be SimConnect being flooded by different add-ons that heavily rely on SimConnect. Both EFB and ASN are two such add-ons.

As for the OptimizeParts tweak there was a good explanation made by LM what exactly this tweak does, why people are seeing different results using it and why it's not enabled by default. In short IIRC it's most about what aircraft you're flying and how that aircraft was built/developed. With some aircraft you will see great benefits having the tweak enabled and with other aircraft it might even decrease the performance. I'm doing all my flying in the NGX and in my case having the tweak enabled has given me some 8-10 extra FPS and zero issues so wouldn't run P3D without it.

As for clouds (and other textures as well for that matter) I never use any higher than 1024. To me the visual difference is close to none vs 2048 not to mention 4096 (maybe with the exception of some very detailed airport scenery add-ons) and this gives me both a more smooth sim as well as helping me save some highly valuable VAS. Since day one with P3Dv2 I'm using the free HDEv2 clouds and I'm very happy with them!

Richard Åsberg

Currently running ASN and EFB together and I still am at 1.5Gb VAS.flying into an Orbx airport.

Electronic Flight Bag?! I think.

Specifically AivlaSoft's EFB.

I'm don't have any stutter issues with the latest ASN (B5589).

Whenever I encounter stutter issues it's usually scenery/object related ... like my recent Aerosoft Torp find ... just one very small BGL (42K) was causing major stutters.  Unfortunately there are many issues that can be the cause of stutters -- very hard to identify.

I wish there was some diagnostic tool that could say "XYZ" is consuming this percentage of time ... but unfortunately no such tool exists.  It's definitely tedious tracking down a bad BGL ... rename files from .BGL to .OFF, delete shaders (just in case), start P3D, test flight, exit P3D add one BGL back at a time ... repeat process.  It's definitely a side of Flight simulation I don't like ... wish LM would provide some BGL validation tool we can run against all the BGLs which will report any invalid BGL.

Cheers, Rob.

I don't understand your statement. You say you've narrowed it down to something else yet appears you're still pointing the finger at ASN. I'm confused!? Huge drop in frames associated with clouds isn't an issue with ASN, it's an issue with the clouds. Have you ever changed the following line in your cloud.fx file - GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); to something other than the default value of 0.5? Open the Cloud.fx file in notepad and search for "GetScreenQuadPositions" and tell us what the values are in your file.

Clouds are default values. 

Well, I know clouds can take a severe FPS hit but the stuttering is only with ASN. If I use cloud themes within P3D (major thunderstorm etc) I experience no stutters. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm don't have any stutter issues with the latest ASN (B5589).

Whenever I encounter stutter issues it's usually scenery/object related ... like my recent Aerosoft Torp find ... just one very small BGL (42K) was causing major stutters.  Unfortunately there are many issues that can be the cause of stutters -- very hard to identify.

I wish there was some diagnostic tool that could say "XYZ" is consuming this percentage of time ... but unfortunately no such tool exists.  It's definitely tedious tracking down a bad BGL ... rename files from .BGL to .OFF, delete shaders (just in case), start P3D, test flight, exit P3D add one BGL back at a time ... repeat process.  It's definitely a side of Flight simulation I don't like ... wish LM would provide some BGL validation tool we can run against all the BGLs which will report any invalid BGL.

Cheers, Rob.

Great info as always Rob, easy to forget such a small thing can cause you that much trouble. I guess the best advice is to always be very restrictive what you add to your simulator and only add one thing at a time and making sure to have a complete system backup so you can easily get rid of the last change should it give you any issues. Not always a "normal" uninstall will do...

As for the diagnostic tool you mention I suggested a similar thing in some other thread a week ago or so and it would be really awesome if such a tool somehow could be developed!! Just imagine how much boring troubleshooting time it could save all of us which we then could invest into actual flying instead.

Richard Åsberg

No stuttering with ASN on my setup. I use my own REX4 theme but with default P3D clouds (I just use REX4 for sky textures and water/runway eye-candy).

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg