Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

ASN introducing major stuttering in P3D 2.5

I have to emphasize for those who claim they experience no stutters with ASN, that it occurs in certain situations and predominantly in low-level overcast conditions with rain. And moreover, stuttering is initiated once in air and above such clouds. Again, if I quit ASN, problem disappears. Also, if I'm using heavy weather scenarios within P3D such as major thunderstorm or heavy snows, results is still smooth sailing (and with equal REXOD + Soft Clouds). If course, like Rob states, finding the source of stuttering can be extremely troublesome, but in my experience (and on my setup) it seems like ASN is the problem unfortunately. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Have you tried posting about your problem over in HiFi's forum?

If not maybe they could help you find the culprit.

Richard Åsberg

No, I haven't. Though I'd share my experience here first to check whether other experienced similar issues. But I guess the HiFi forums is the next natural waypoint.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I know what you mean, these forums are mostly my first stop looking at the great number of experienced users.

Good luck solving your issue, I know far too well how annoying a stuttering issue can be.

Richard Åsberg

You might also want to turn on SimConnect diagnostics to see if you spot anything strange in the Log.

Cheers, Rob.

Are you guys using different ports for different SimConnect-required software? I do, and have no issues with SimConnect-required software.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
  <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
  <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <!--ASN P3D-->
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Address>192.168.1.124</Address>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Port>6969</Port>
    <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
    <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
  <!--AI Controller-->
  <SimConnect.Comm>

<Scope>global</Scope>
    <Port>6050</Port>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
  <!--ATM Radar-->
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Port>3971</Port>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
    <Scope>local</Scope>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

My SimConnect.cfg file in each program has the same port as the SimConnect.xml file does. AIController1.4B for example:

[simConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=192.168.1.124
Port=6050
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0

I also have a simconnect.cfg file with a different port in my ASN as it won't work (for me) without it. I also have all four SimConnect versions installed. Just my $.02.

Mark Fox

SimConnect is a strange beast and programs dependency on specific versions makes it more confusing. Many tech support calls have been shown to be related to SimConnect problems. I've never counted but it seems to me that a large amount of the posts that start = Program X caused Problem Y on my system - ultimately resolve to something not related to program X other than it's use brought the problem to light.

Some of us run our systems right on the edge and when we add something new, we run the risk of going over. All to often we place the blame of the last change we made - sometimes it's the cause of the problem but more often not the reason for the problem.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Strangely I have persistent stutter when making turns but my ASN makes things better not worse. I have no idea why but without ASN running the stutter is more pronounced! 

I have to emphasize for those who claim they experience no stutters with ASN, that it occurs in certain situations and predominantly in low-level overcast conditions with rain. And moreover, stuttering is initiated once in air and above such clouds. Again, if I quit ASN, problem disappears. Also, if I'm using heavy weather scenarios within P3D such as major thunderstorm or heavy snows, results is still smooth sailing (and with equal REXOD + Soft Clouds). If course, like Rob states, finding the source of stuttering can be extremely troublesome, but in my experience (and on my setup) it seems like ASN is the problem unfortunately. 

Disable wake turbulence in ASN :-) also when a microburst windshear occurs it could contribute...

André

Disable wake turbulence in ASN :-) also when a microburst windshear occurs it could contribute...

Will try! Thanks for the tip.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Run ASN on a second PC.  You don't need a high spec machine, just something to offload the CPU cycles.

Run ASN on a second PC.  You don't need a high spec machine, just something to offload the CPU cycles.

A networked PC?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Update:

Have been playing around with my new MSI Gaming 970 and the results are overwhelming. The ASN-introduced stutters are completely gone, no huge drop in FPS while flying through medium-dense layers of clouds. Now, I can crank cloud density to max and even push other eye-candy setting to the max.

Previous videocard was 760 GTX btw.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth