Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Anyone own a 4 door sedan?

Thinking of buying a Buick Verano but not sure the sedan life style is for me. I've had a station wagon for the last 15 years and problem is I want to have something VERY quiet and comfy and affordable.

How do you 4 door sedan owners haul bulky or larger things when the need presents itself? (like a push mower or small table or lazyboy recliner or  4 8 foot 12x2's)

I drive a 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis LS that I inherited when my father passed. It has barely over 90k miles as of today. It has a huge, cavernous trunk in which I have carried large items including a push mower, and a new, boxed backup generator.

For anything larger though I have it delivered.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I had a 1999 (I think) Honda Accord 4 door sedan which had a flap behind the rear seat centre folding armrest. The flap could be opened from inside the trunk and I could slide 8 ft 2x4s through the flap so they would rest on the front and rear armrests and extend into the trunk. Is that widespread or just Honda?

Dugald Walker

I have a Jetta TDI sedan...but to lug around the big stuff I use my Cummins RAM!  :)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Home Depot has trucks and vans you can rent for a few hours.  Enterprise as well.  Is "Rent a wreck" stilla round? Of course, neighbor or friend with a truck works too.  

I had six boxes of 6' long bamboo fencing delivered via UPS.  It was sent from San Diego all the way to NY.

I've always owned sedans, so never really had a problem.  I have also avoided buying or moving some things because of it.  

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I was in a similar position, having owned a large 7 seat people carrier (that's what we call them in the UK, don't know if you lot call them something different lol), that was echoey, cavernous and suffered a lot of wind noise, when it came to getting a second family car (due to my wife starting work again as the kids have got older), I went for a BMW 320d saloon (sedan).... best move I've ever made - certainly if you enjoy driving and comfort and your car isn't just a utility to you.

.....but if moving things is a priority, I'd get one of these :-

18426410.jpg

#BrBa :smile:

I meant to add that the reason I'm hanging on to my Mercury Grand Marquis LS is that it is without question one of the quietest and most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned.

It is also in excellent mechanical condition, and I couldn't get beans for it as a trade-in. I can hear the new car salesman now:

"Sir, you must be joking! The junkyard is just down the street. Perhaps they'll give you $100 for it!"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

I bought two two seat cars a 350z and a Corvette. I'm a really practical guy hahaha. I need to get a truck or SUV soon so I can pull a boat.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I bought two two seat cars a 350z and a Corvette. I'm a really practical guy hahaha. I need to get a truck or SUV soon so I can pull a boat.

Lol, no need for a truck. Back in the mid 90's I had the same problem. I had a new 300ZX at the time and had also purchased a Kona jet boat. I didn't want to buy a truck to tow the boat just for the occasional trips to the lake, so I went to a fabricator and had a receiver custom built and welded into the frame of my 300ZX. They made my license plate frame on the rear bumper fold down and the hitch would slide right in. You'd never even know that I had all that under the body work when the hitch wasn't on. Anyway, I was able to tow my boat behind the Z as well as back in down the launch ramp and pull the boat back out of the water. It worked well although I did get some weird looks when I would pass people on the street or freeway in my Z with a 18' boat in tow.

My Audi A4 is OK, but we used to have a Nissan Maxima, and that could carry quite a bit with the rear seats folded down.  A 7 foot Christmas tree was no problem in there.  Some big sedans don't have such great trunks.  You need to look out for seats that don't fold down, access hole behind the seats that is too small, and stereo speakers that intrude in the trunk space.  Our criteria was that it had to hold a wheelchair on its side.  I don't know if there are any 4dr with a hatch, but that would be ideal from a carrying POV.  Years ago we had a Dodge Omni 4dr hatch, and I could fit almost anything (maybe not a 4x8 sheet of plywood) in that thing.

BTW, this is where going to an auto show is great.  Before we bought my wife's current car (Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) I went to the auto show with tape measure in hand to check out rear storage space.

scott s.

I've got a station wagon as well. Has been very helpful for moving things like you describe. You could always get a friend to lend you his truck.

I have a 2013 Honda Accord and I love it. I never thought I would own a Honda, but I drove it and fell in love with it. I highly recommend it.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Just picked up a Porsche Macan S :)

0-60 in 5 flat and tows 4,500 lbs so two bikes on a trailer is no problem :)  Best of both worlds, exciting and utilitarian...

16933382127_e3500a52ae_b.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Lol, no need for a truck. Back in the mid 90's I had the same problem. I had a new 300ZX at the time and had also purchased a Kona jet boat. I didn't want to buy a truck to tow the boat just for the occasional trips to the lake, so I went to a fabricator and had a receiver custom built and welded into the frame of my 300ZX. They made my license plate frame on the rear bumper fold down and the hitch would slide right in. You'd never even know that I had all that under the body work when the hitch wasn't on. Anyway, I was able to tow my boat behind the Z as well as back in down the launch ramp and pull the boat back out of the water. It worked well although I did get some weird looks when I would pass people on the street or freeway in my Z with a 18' boat in tow.

Lol!

I'd love to see a picture of that rig!!  :D

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png