Sign in to follow this  
N405GJ

747-400, wait for PMDG or go iFly?

So I've had this itch for a nice 744, and seeing as PMDG has V2 coming out "soon", is it worth the wait or is the iFly offering up to par? I love the in depth systems that PMDG provide, and have been known to spend a lot of time just exploring the cockpit without ever actually taking off. I am interested in everyone else's opinions.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

I have the Ifly 744 its a good plane and it should hold you over till the PMDG bird releases in about 5 years lol

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

+ I believe IFLY uses flight 1 wrapper and they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

BTW, are there many new liveries for the IFLY yet?

+ I believe IFLY uses flight 1 wrapper and they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

BTW, are there many new liveries for the IFLY yet?

Yes most of the majors are now available.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

As an owner, ex-user, of the iFly 744, I'd suggest waiting for the PMDG bird unless you really can't stand waiting.

The iFly addon has huge performance problems (lower and more fluctuating FPS than anything else I have ever used).

Plus no flood light at night and almost no-one is interested in repainting it. Also some other glitches that make it so so.

That is my personal opinion. As a huge fan of 747 I couldn't wait and bought it.

But after maybe a dozen flights I have indefinitely parked it in my virtual hangar.

PMDG.

+1

Could you be even more constructive and at least present some arguments the OP would surely be grateful for?

Ifly. Mostly likely have more options and models

Misinformation. iFly offers only the 747-400 pax version.

And even if there is theoretically more planned, nothing more IS offered.

May I suggest the current PMDG 747 offering as an alternative? It is not like she stopped working or got all ugly suddenly. I quite like that one, systems modelling is deep and if you are into visuals, there are McPhat HD liveries available. And maybe, if PMDG are feeling generous, they will offer an upgrade path whenever the V2 is finished.

LORBY-SI

I purchased the iFly 747 for FSX, for the same reasons as the OP.   It is a truly beautiful, PMDG-standard addon IMHO (and a huge improvement over their 737) but sadly I had to return it as it was the worst performing aircraft I've ever tried, in terms of frame rates, stutters and a lack of smoothness.

Even drasticly reducing settings (eg.. no autogen, no traffic, etc) made no difference.  There is something going on in the iFly 747's gauge processing that just kills the frames.  I even tried reducing the texture sizes in the VC - no difference.

Apparently the 744v2 from PMDG isn't that far off. 

Quoting from the "Lockheed Martin Prepar3d Development Status Thread": 

"The following products are expected to be released during 1Q15 and/or early 2Q15:

PMDG BAe JetStream 4100

PMDG 737-800/900NG Base Package

PMDG 737-600/700 Expansion

PMDG 747-400v2.0 Base Package"

I believe it will be released on the three platforms almost simultaneously. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I haven't experienced a 747 yet. The PMDG version 1 looked old to me, so I never bought it and the alternatives didn't look detailed enough to be a true study sim for the 747. So the first time I take to the skies in a 747 will be in the PMDG v2, probably 5 years from now as someone joked previously. To me, it's worth the wait.

And maybe, if PMDG are feeling generous, they will offer an upgrade path whenever the V2 is finished.

I believe this possibility was discussed on their forum some time ago and if I remember correctly, the answer was no, in view of the fact that the 747 v2 is a complete from the ground up new product. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Ifly. Mostly likely have more options and models like its 737.

You always come here and preach that iFly is better than PMDG, but you can never use any facts to back it up. This is a perfect example of more cheerleading

iFly has one 747-400 modeled, no panel options and other engine types like PMDG. The PMDG v1 is more advanced than the iFly, and it is designed for fs9.

But you really think iFly is better than PMDG. Nobody should take your opinion seriously, like a used car salesman telling me everything to get me to buy it.