Sign in to follow this  
Maxouche

FMC feature

Hi to all!

I am quite a passive user on this forum because so many questions are asked, so most of the time, I don't need to ask mine.

Well today, I am asking something quite specific.

I was quite puzzled about the quick way to enter route in the FMC (only inputing the airways, and the intersection would be found automatically). Living in Dubai, I had the chance recently to go for a session on iPilot simulator, and I tried this function on the FMC, and it worked. Quite sure that it was a real function of the aircraft, I discussed this topic with a real 737 pilot (at Fly Dubai), and took a bet on this function he didn't know. But 2 days later, he sent me a videowhere he tried to use this trick, but it didn't work.

My question therefore is:

- is it a trick implemented by PMDG (and prosim in case of ipilot simulator)?

- is this function available only on some versions of the aircraft?

I lost my bet and owe him a beer now...

Many thanks for your kind answers, and have safe (or real) virtual flights!

Maxime

I lost my bet and owe him a beer now...

You actually don't owe him anything. It's a real function on Boeing aircraft. Perhaps he didn't enter the correct airway, or mistyped it?

Kyle Rodgers

I think it's a simism, too. It's been a while, but I think I read that in here a while back am I though "Why haven't I heard this before?" I believe I tried it and I don't think it worked.

Matt Cee

I think it's a simism, too. It's been a while, but I think I read that in here a while back am I though "Why haven't I heard this before?" I believe I tried it and I don't think it worked.

I'm thinking it might be an option or a software version issue, but I'm going back to see the origin of how it got added in here. We usually don't add random shortcuts like this into the business side of things without highlighting it as a sim trick (like the ZFW quick entry, etc).

Kyle Rodgers

I remember this was not available in the legacy NG, but was mentioned as a nifty feature in the NGX.  I just browsed FCOM 11.40.19-20 and while it doesn't explicitly describe this method the definitions of a valid entry do no preclude this method.  I think it is a version dependent feature.

Also saw something I never noticed before, after version U10.3 the ORIG can be changed in any phase of the flight.  As discussed in an adjacent thread, this is not modeled by PMDG.  Why don't you stick that in Mantis Kyle, thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm in the sim tomorrow, but I'm doing a checkride. Maybe not the best time to do a test :) But . . . if things are going well and if my hair isn't on fire, I'll see if I can test it.

Matt Cee

You actually don't owe him anything. It's a real function on Boeing aircraft. Perhaps he didn't enter the correct airway, or mistyped it?

Hi Kyle, Matt and Dan,

thanks for your input. Actually he took a video when he did that, so I could check that he did it the proper way. Maybe this is a version issue indeed, I hope Matt can validate it in his sim, if he ever has time (or hair not on fire).

Have a nice day!

Maxime

I'm in the sim tomorrow, but I'm doing a checkride. Maybe not the best time to do a test :) But . . . if things are going well and if my hair isn't on fire, I'll see if I can test it.

Would be glad to hear what you find out, because I definitely know it doesn't work at least on mine. And I tried it more than once because I knew the NGX did it and hoped the real one would as well... Oh and good luck for the check btw. Anyways I'll also give it one more try next week or so.

sig.gif

<INVALID ENTRY>

It does not work.

Basically what I had in mind... too bad.

sig.gif

Entering consecutive airways with the crossing point automatically calculated is explicitly described in the 777 FCOM. Various FMC options are mentioned in the 737 FCOM, including entry of ORIG and DEST in any flight phase, but none that mention this feature. In fact it states the boxed prompts in the TO field mean an entry is required.

It is a handy time saver for NGX FMC flight plan entry, nonetheless.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi,

The <INVALID ENTRY> was also what was displayed on the video my friend sent to me. So I'm not surprised here.

Entering consecutive airways with the crossing point automatically calculated is explicitly described in the 777 FCOM. Various FMC options are mentioned in the 737 FCOM, including entry of ORIG and DEST in any flight phase, but none that mention this feature. In fact it states the boxed prompts in the TO field mean an entry is required.

It is a handy time saver for NGX FMC flight plan entry, nonetheless.

So I guess this is a PMDG feature for 737, most probably inspired by 777 real feature.

As a conclusion, I owe him a beer. Can PMDG support me on this (because it's a bit their fault if I was ocnvinced it was a real feature)  :P ?

Thanks a lot guys for your reply, I knew I could count on you!

Maxime