Sign in to follow this  
lukehall

Can I maintain the position of pop up displays?

Hello,

I have recently started using a second TV with both the PMDG 777&737NG, primarily to display duplicate DUs. I love the virtual cockpits and always use TIR in combination with EZDock. I have managed to produce duplicate popups (upper & lower EICAS + inner and outer DUs) whilst preserving the one displayed in the VC thanks to this great thread by Boris_The_spider: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/392743-undock-as-a-duplicate/

Is it possible to modify something so that they are always active on my second screen rather than me having to position them each time I start FSX? I haven't had much success with searching and I'd be very grateful for any help (if it's possible to achieve).

The PMDG displays are so nice It's great having persistent duplicates outside of the VC! There isn't any performance hit either, which is a rare bonus in FSX!

Best wishes,

Luke 

Please can anyone point me in the right direction?  :huh:

Luke.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but try this, look interesting. 

http://www.crgsim.com/Code/

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Thanks for your reply skysurfer.

The gauges you've linked to look very nice but I'm quite happy with the PMDG ones. I just want to know if I can make a configuration change so that the pop ups will always remain on my second monitor without me having to set them up manually every time I start the sim...

Cheers,

Luke

It would be nice Luke, Sadly I also set them up pre flight. Not sure ive ever seen a way to do what you/I would like.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

didn't FSUIPC once have a check box for fixing pop up location?

Sir, interesting question.

What worked for me in p3d was to set up my displays and save the flight.

I then created saved flight shortcuts on my desktop - for each plane at my chosen location (in my case egcc stand 55).

Ensure the scenario manager is configured to load (or in the case of FSX - the equivalent)

When I load the shortcut, my selected plane and location are ready in the scenario. I can change the location of course.

Then start the flight, and your panels should be in the same position.

I just took off my 4th monitor which I used for this purpose, and have gone back to pure VC - there's something to be said about the authenticity of doing everything in the VC bar the CDU (the ipad is perfect for that)

BUT - I achieved what you are trying to do.

Good luck.

Sir, interesting question.

What worked for me in p3d was to set up my displays and save the flight.

I then created saved flight shortcuts on my desktop - for each plane at my chosen location (in my case egcc stand 55).

Ensure the scenario manager is configured to load (or in the case of FSX - the equivalent)

When I load the shortcut, my selected plane and location are ready in the scenario. I can change the location of course.

Then start the flight, and your panels should be in the same position.

I just took off my 4th monitor which I used for this purpose, and have gone back to pure VC - there's something to be said about the authenticity of doing everything in the VC bar the CDU (the ipad is perfect for that)

BUT - I achieved what you are trying to do.

Good luck.

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried it as you described but it doesn't appear to achieve the result I'm after in FSX.

Never mind - I'll just continue to set the panels up manually each time I start. Having said that, with so many addons getting a session going from cold is becoming a pretty time consuming effort! :-)

Luke

Bare in mind Luke Cold and Dark is not a "normal" state, most NG's I would suggest use what we could call Short turn and even the 777 I would class as Long turn. Only cargo I would say comes into C&D.

There is a NG short turn around flow in my sig if you want to have a look, might speed things up a bit?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Bare in mind Luke Cold and Dark is not a "normal" state, most NG's I would suggest use what we could call Short turn and even the 777 I would class as Long turn. Only cargo I would say comes into C&D.

There is a NG short turn around flow in my sig if you want to have a look, might speed things up a bit?

Ah yes... I think we're talking at cross purposes! What I mean by 'cold' is starting the simulator up and all of the associated support items...

Booting up my networked laptop, starting Aivlasoft Display unit, TrackIR, VAinterface, Aivlasoft data provider, ASN etc... Then, setting the flight situation, loading flight plans into FSX, EFB and ASN, then starting FS2Crew, then re-arranging all of my panel displays... just before even starting to configure the cockpit! :-)

Best wishes,

Luke

Thanks for the response Luke.

I did "undock" my windows first by the way - perhaps you tried that?

Having flown the 744 in FSX for years, I did save the flight for the CDU to automatically pop up on my right hand monitor.

It must be possible for you too.

It worked in "full screen" and "windowed mode"

I also use saved flights as the answers to always have my FMC on the CDUII and PFD,ND on a second monitor.

No problems here

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Luke-

We are at work on a methodology to allow precisely what you are doing- and to make it very easy.

It will appear first in the 747...

In the mean time, you can take the brute force method by getting things set up as you like them, then saving the flight.  If you want to start with a cold/dark setup- then do all of your arrangements, then shut the airplane down and save the flight.

That SHOULD give you what you want- or at least minimize the amount of fiddling....

Give us some time though- this has been on our hit-list for some time and we are finally ticking it off...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this.

Robert - that's great news about the forthcoming configuration possibilities! Thanks for the information  :good:

Meanwhile, as several people have suggested, I have tried saving a flight with my pop up displays positioned where I want them on my second monitor but It doesn't seem to work for me.

I have tried loading the flight by starting FSX by double clicking on the save flight file directly, or by loading the flight from within an FSX session - neither work though. The saved flight loads ok and the main panel state is as I left it (i.e. switch positions and fuel state etc) but the pop ups are not present and need to be re-opened from the 'new instrument view' menu item and dragged to the second monitor.

In case it makes a difference, I should be clear that I am running 2 1920x1080 monitors from 2 outputs on my graphics card. However, they are not 'spanned' as with Nvidia surround to create a 3840x1080 desktop (because one is 40" and the other is 32") but I can drag items on my desktop from 1 to another. Therefore, my FSX is running at 1920x1080 on my main monitor and the second monitor is blank with FSX running in full screen mode. I can then select a duplicate pop up display (or any other window) and drag it across to the second monitor.

I have set all of this up, then saved the flight but on reload I still have to create the new displays then drag them across. Maybe the saved flight method only works if both monitors are configured and combined as a single display?

Maybe I'm fundamentally misunderstanding the saving process that is being suggested here?

All said and done, it's not a really big deal - It would just add a nice bit of polish to the whole experience. My FSX installation and configuration has become so complicated it's scary!  :rolleyes:

Best wishes to all...

Luke

We are at work on a methodology to allow precisely what you are doing- and to make it very easy.

It will appear first in the 747...

Sounds Great, look forward to it.