Sign in to follow this  
McDaniel

OOM Emergency procedure....(by far not a solution!)

LM are trying ... they've even loaded up some 3rd party add-ons to do more testing in an attempt to replicate ... which is definitely well beyond my expectations.  

So we'll see what happens ... I know this must be incredibly time consuming for them given the time it can take before one hits an OOM.  To effectively understand memory issues, LM will need to be able to break (as in debug/stop execution but keeping the code loaded) the code just before the OOM ... that in itself requires considerable work in setup/prep as they'll need to do several "long runs" to get to that point and each time they restart, they'll have to repeat the long wait.

I've provided a few scenarios where I think/hope they can duplicate with "add-ons" in just 5-10 minutes ... hopefully reducing the long wait.  The other NO add-on scenario took about 2 hours before hitting OOM.

Having done this type of debugging before in other non-fs related products, it's definitely NO FUN ... LM would have to setup a separate dev PC running so they can continue to do their own regular v3 "work" ... can't have senior programmers sitting around all day waiting for break points to trigger. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Rob a quick way to OOM is to fly out of KRNT with a plane like the Carenado Hawker in Orbx PNW and head toward Orbx KBVS, 74S and Jefferson county I promise they will OOM before they get to 30,000 about 10 min. Also Rob I'll be happy to guinea pig if they need someone to make the sim OOM and send them data. 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Well I think LM or 3rd party vendors have succeeded in ensuring no entertainment will be had with P3D.  Tried lowering settings with previous mentioned flight, OOM once again on approach to Copenhagen.  Right at the bridge...I think I'm going to jump off that bridge.

OOM=the condom of P3D....protecting you from any illegal flightsim entertainment!  Hope I don't get in trouble for saying that.....

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

If true, its good news that LM is addressing this issue.

Frankly, I strongly disagree with those claiming that its not the responsibility of LM to reduce VAS usage or find means to work around it. When they advertise their product on their home-page, they additionally advertise in concert with FTX Region products and planes (showcase). They even showcase the PMDG 777 and FlyTampa Copenhagen, two well known add-ons that eat VAS for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Even sometimes, their showcase images are packed with autogen as well, which unfortunately is not an option for most simmers using PMDG products and add-on airports.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I have decided to lock this topic as the topic has been discussed more than enough here in this forum and elsewhere and leads us nowhere.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10